Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times

Advertisements

My sister had a lab for years and years. When she was about 11 I asked her how she was doing (she had arthritis etc). She replied - well, we finally have the calm dog we always wanted! She never really calmed down - loved to counter-surf, and lived to a ripe old age. Labs are a sporting dog and as such need more exercise (physical as well as mental) than many other breeds.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Sam I AM told me to use duck tape and empty soda cans to keep the dogs from counter surfing. It does work because they will knock the cans down and it makes a loud noise. I took a piece of duck tape and stuck the cans upright on it. I also tried laying the cans on it, but that didn't work as well.

My wiem knows how to open the sliding glass door. I swear I think she has figured out how to open it even when it is locked as she has opened it when I was sure I locked it.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
Hello. How is everyone? I have a male lab puppy, his name is Bobo and he is 2 1/2 months old. He has been so easy to train to do several dif tricks, is doing great on housetraining, I have no trouble getting him to stay in his crate happily. I have him on a feeding schedule. What i do is in the morn i take him outside to potty..then I bring him back inside to feed him..then we go back outside to do his business again..then we have play time for quite some time since he has been in his crate all night (except when I took him outside to potty) then he goes back in his crate for about..what i'm getting at is I feed on a schedule and I let him out to either train with me or to play after he goes potty..so he is out alot during the day.
My question is he is really hyper. Not that I mind..i love it that he loves to play with his toys..fetch ..ect...I just didn't know if this was normal in a lab. I've owned dogs for years..i've done alot of rescue..helped at my local animals shelter..ect..ect. So I've been around dogs my whole life, but this is the first lab I have ever owned and wondered if this was normal and will mellow out some as he ages..by the way he is an English Lab..not sure if you needed to knwo that or not. Anyway I'm wondering if I"m not stimulating him enough and thats why he is so hyper or if it's just him being a lab puppy. I have been around tons of pups and never seen one quite so rowdy. He is way too nippy as well..we are working on that one..He is an extremely smart pup. You wouldn't beleive all i've trained him to do so far..and I totally love love love him..so any advice?
Unfortunately this is very typical. The high energy level of labs is very desirable in a working dog, much less so in a family animal. He will eventually settle down, but it can be as late as four or five years of age (usually about 3 years, though). "Settling down" is, of course, a very relative term.

As other posters have mentioned, exercise is important. I think more important, however, is that the dog feel as though it has a job to do.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Sam I AM told me to use duck tape and empty soda cans to keep the dogs from counter surfing. It does work because they will knock the cans down and it makes a loud noise. I took a piece of duck tape and stuck the cans upright on it. I also tried laying the cans on it, but that didn't work as well.

My wiem knows how to open the sliding glass door. I swear I think she has figured out how to open it even when it is locked as she has opened it when I was sure I locked it.
I've heard about duct tape (or carpet tape since it is 2 sided and the stickiness is yucky to them). I have also heard to put something yummy on the counter then hide and wait with an air horn. LOL...whatever works. Luckily the Golden I have now is not inclined to counter surf - laundry surfing is another matter....

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-14-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 06:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
the best bet is go to an akc dog school if you can. read the book marley and me. best of luck!
I have had terriers! You have a great dog!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
I'm nor sure if reading Marley and Me would be helpful or not !!!

Compared to the little Min Pin that I've just got - my Lab is NOT hyper.
I've never seen anything as fast as this little Min Pin is ... or as hyper.
Labs really do listen to you and want to please you. (well, most of the time)

I spent about 20 minutes trying to catch a little 4 month old Min Pin in my neighbors back yard yesterday.

This little Min Pin was in her own universe. She either didn't hear me calling her or she just didn't care!

Needless to say,... I was not amused!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-14-2008 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 AM

591 posts, read 1,416,037 times
I don't allow him to go in the kitchen at all. I am trying to teach him he has boundaries and the kitchen isn't one of em lol..
I wasn't sure how much to exercise him with him being so young..i don't want to over do it..We walked longer yesterday. I just want to make sure I don't do too much with him.
Bobo is bitey too..I'm trying to teach him not to but thats the one thing i'm having trouble with..that and it's hard getting him to calm down for his training sessions..but it souinds like he is a normal lab so that makes me happy..thank you guys so much..

Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 AM

591 posts, read 1,416,037 times
right after christmas i'm enrolling him in a class..so far i've taught him to sit, laydown, fetch, come, stay (still in progress), i've also taught him to sit at the door and wait for me to go out first..he also sits at the door when it's time to come back inside, shake, and up. He has learned all that in a month..I am hoping to do agility with him or some kind of something. I love training, playin, lovin on him..he is just awesome..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Well, our new puppy arrived yesterday. What a critter! Runs around bounding everywhere. Won't take to the crate, but it's been all of one day. We took her for a walk as soon as she got home...and then another one. Poopster lays a turd in her crate. Took her for two more walks before bed - this time she pees in the crate. Never saw her going outside. *sigh* Took her for a 1/2 hour walk at the park today after breakfast. Not sure I ever saw her go. Can't wait to see what I find in the crate later.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM

The only thing I ever remember hearing about over-doing the exercise bit was about running. Do not start taking young dogs on long runs. They should be 12-18 mo. before starting that because of possible hip damage. Since larger dogs are prone to hip dysplasia that is a concern....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs