Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,696,625 times

Advertisements

Turn your pup on to bubbles. I got a bubble gun when Rocco was a pup... he would run and chase the bubbles all day if I let him. Also he LOVES his frisbee! However, from the jumping he would do he has gotten a couple of sprains. Because of his high pain tolerance even that wouldn't stop him from wanting to play. He's almost 4 and calming down a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,605,467 times
hahahaha! You are right - watching a dog chase bubbles is hysterical.....so easy and inexpensive too!

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-15-2008 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,146,812 times
I saw on It's Me or the Dog you can get bacon flavored bubbles!
I am going to try and remember some bubbles to keep my dog entertained.
She enjoys the snow and digging in the ice.

This little gal was a rescue from North Carolina but she loves Yankee winters!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,091,966 times
Default A bubble gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
Turn your pup on to bubbles. I got a bubble gun when Rocco was a pup... he would run and chase the bubbles all day if I let him. Also he LOVES his frisbee! However, from the jumping he would do he has gotten a couple of sprains. Because of his high pain tolerance even that wouldn't stop him from wanting to play. He's almost 4 and calming down a little bit.
I think you've just solved my last gift problem on my Christmas Shopping List.

I like the bacon flavored bubble idea but I'm not sure about using that inside this winter.

Sounds like fun!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM

I think they have different flavors. They are kinda pricey (to buy flavored bubbles at the pet store) for what they are though (but I could see it as a Christmas gift). Regular bubbles work fine.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

591 posts, read 1,420,537 times
Macie..so it's ok to take him on long walks?
I'm glad he isn't a couch potato..i want a dog that I can go on walks with and can do things with. I just wasn't sure if it was normal for him to be extremely hyper or if it meant I wasn't exercising him enough. I think I compared his energy to my pit lab mix..i got her as a pup..actually she was a drop off and she was bout dead when I got her and saved her many vet visits and hundred of dollars later lol..

Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM

591 posts, read 1,420,537 times
How did you all teach your dog to catch a frisbee? Should I wait til he is older to start this or is it ok to introduce to him now. He play fetch..he gets the ball and brings it back every time..i swear labs are the smartest dogs..

Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
Macie..so it's ok to take him on long walks?
I'm glad he isn't a couch potato..i want a dog that I can go on walks with and can do things with. I just wasn't sure if it was normal for him to be extremely hyper or if it meant I wasn't exercising him enough. I think I compared his energy to my pit lab mix..i got her as a pup..actually she was a drop off and she was bout dead when I got her and saved her many vet visits and hundred of dollars later lol..
I took it to mean don't take your young dog on a regular 5 mile run with you until they are a year old at the very least, but since I don't run I didn't pay too much attention. Their joints are not ready for that yet. I think long walks are fine - but maybe there is someone more knowledgeable about the subject out there who could address that?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,575,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
Hello. How is everyone? I have a male lab puppy, his name is Bobo and he is 2 1/2 months old. He has been so easy to train to do several dif tricks, is doing great on housetraining, I have no trouble getting him to stay in his crate happily. I have him on a feeding schedule. What i do is in the morn i take him outside to potty..then I bring him back inside to feed him..then we go back outside to do his business again..then we have play time for quite some time since he has been in his crate all night (except when I took him outside to potty) then he goes back in his crate for about..what i'm getting at is I feed on a schedule and I let him out to either train with me or to play after he goes potty..so he is out alot during the day.
My question is he is really hyper. Not that I mind..i love it that he loves to play with his toys..fetch ..ect...I just didn't know if this was normal in a lab. I've owned dogs for years..i've done alot of rescue..helped at my local animals shelter..ect..ect. So I've been around dogs my whole life, but this is the first lab I have ever owned and wondered if this was normal and will mellow out some as he ages..by the way he is an English Lab..not sure if you needed to knwo that or not. Anyway I'm wondering if I"m not stimulating him enough and thats why he is so hyper or if it's just him being a lab puppy. I have been around tons of pups and never seen one quite so rowdy. He is way too nippy as well..we are working on that one..He is an extremely smart pup. You wouldn't beleive all i've trained him to do so far..and I totally love love love him..so any advice?
Yes, this is perfectly normal puppy behavior for labs. Energetic, happy, and a bit awkward and uncoordinated. You can play with him for hours and he will not get tired. He will be this way until at least 2 years old, maybe a little longer. Keep in mind that males mature slower than females. Females reach maturity in about 12 months. Males take about 18 months.

All puppies bite, for a wide variety of reasons (including teething). You just have to let him know when he is biting too hard or biting inappropriate areas. He will get the idea pretty quickly. Depending on his personality, he could also be testing you. Seeing how hard he can bite and get away with it, or seeing how you react when he bites different areas. You can tell if he is testing you because he will look you straight in the eye when he bites to gauge your reaction.

They also go through a "mouthing" stage at about 1 year old, where they have to hold things in their mouths. It could be a bone, ball, or your arm. He will just sit there and hold it in his mouth without biting or chewing. Keep him in lots of toys with different textures and he will cause less damage to your furniture and other household possessions.

They start slowing down about their third year, and by the time they reach five years old, they are pretty much settled down. Also at around age 5 they gain their "middle-aged spread" and will suddenly put on 10 to 15 pounds almost overnight. Don't panic! You don't need to change his diet, this is perfectly normal.

Dogs love a routine, and it sounds like you have a good routine going with him. Enjoy him while he is a bundle of energy, because in a couple years he will be your "fire-side" companion, preferring to lay at (or on) your feet all day long.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM

It is normal that he is nipping etc but this is the time to teach him NO! A dogs teeth should never touch your skin. The time to teach this is now. Pull your hand back and give a high pitched yelp as his mom or a litter mate would when his behavior is inappropriate. Make sure he has several appropriate chewing and teething toys available to him. Retrievers are very oral and will always be looking to chew or carry things around in their mouths. It's what they were bred to do. And no offense to the PP, if a healthy 60-70 lb dog puts on 15 lbs I would be changing his diet (either quantity or food itself) and/or increasing the exercise. Labs have a predisposition for hip dysplasia and being overweight just adds more complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs