Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,145,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

They also go through a "mouthing" stage at about 1 year old, where they have to hold things in their mouths. It could be a bone, ball, or your arm. He will just sit there and hold it in his mouth without biting or chewing. Keep him in lots of toys with different textures and he will cause less damage to your furniture and other household possessions.

ok:
Ours likes to take something out on walks, a ball, a stick, an empty water bottle! She loves to trot along with some object in her mouth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,602,933 times
We have goldens and if the doorbell rings the first thing they do (while barking) is run around the house looking for something to have in their mouths when greeting the visitor! It's as if they think it would be extremely rude to not greet with a "gift"!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 AM

591 posts, read 1,420,445 times
What i've been doing when he bites me is telling him no and then giving him one of his toys to play with. When I tell him no he immediately stops but then goes right back to it..and I think you might be right about testing me..cause he does look at me when he does this.
I called the breeder and she said when he bites me to grab his mouth hold it closed for a few seconds and tell him no bite. I've tried that and it's working, but I'm not so sure I like doing that. I'm afraid i'll traumatize him or somegthing lol..so I don't know if I should continue doing that or not.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We have goldens and if the doorbell rings the first thing they do (while barking) is run around the house looking for something to have in their mouths when greeting the visitor! It's as if they think it would be extremely rude to not greet with a "gift"!
Now that would be so cute to see..

Old 12-16-2008, 06:51 AM

Oh and i'm proud to say my bobo has finally had a breakthrough on housetraining. This morning he went to the door and sat to go out and potty. I was so happy that it's finally starting to sink in. So we are well on our way. I know we have alot more time to go but i'm so happy he is starting to understand. He just amazes me everyday. He has by far been the easiest to train dog i've ever had. Now if I could just get him and my lil chi to become friends lol..my 4 pound chihuahua thinks hes the baddest dog around..so we are working on that one. lol

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,090,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
Oh and i'm proud to say my bobo has finally had a breakthrough on housetraining. This morning he went to the door and sat to go out and potty. I was so happy that it's finally starting to sink in. So we are well on our way. I know we have alot more time to go but i'm so happy he is starting to understand. He just amazes me everyday. He has by far been the easiest to train dog i've ever had. Now if I could just get him and my lil chi to become friends lol..my 4 pound chihuahua thinks hes the baddest dog around..so we are working on that one. lol
I've never had a chihuahua but my lab puppy and my tiny, new Min Pin puppy are best buddies. She thinks he's the bomb. My big, ole lab boy puppy is really, gentle with her.

This little Min Pin is very vocal. The whole time they're playing she's "talking" to him.

They are hilarious together.

Quote:
What i've been doing when he bites me is telling him no and then giving him one of his toys to play with. When I tell him no he immediately stops but then goes right back to it..and I think you might be right about testing me..cause he does look at me when he does this.
I called the breeder and she said when he bites me to grab his mouth hold it closed for a few seconds and tell him no bite. I've tried that and it's working, but I'm not so sure I like doing that. I'm afraid i'll traumatize him or somegthing lol..so I don't know if I should continue doing that or not.
Here's a link to a thread we had on this forum about teaching your dog bite inhibition.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...nhibition.html

Congratulations on the potty training breakthrough~

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2008 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,574,705 times
Quote:
Congrats on the housebreaking! This is always one hurdle I'm glad to get over!

"We have goldens and if the doorbell rings the first thing they do (while barking) is run around the house looking for something to have in their mouths when greeting the visitor! It's as if they think it would be extremely rude to not greet with a "gift"!"

LOL...Mine do the same...in fact, I just posted similar in another thread. They are so proud of their toys!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,602,933 times
Congrats on the housebreaking!
Re my goldens and their "gifts" - it is cute but what is grab isn't always a toy...I've had guests greeted with dirty socks LOL....they love the soft feel of a big ol balled up sweat sock (mmm smells good too!). Unfortunately they cannot be trusted with soft toys - they will totally tear them up...

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-16-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 AM

BoBo is forever finding socks..If you ever lose socks just send your dog on a search he/she will most likely find them lol

Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM

World Citizen.
I tried the yelping but it didn't seem to work and I think it may have to do with we just turned our backs instead of going to the next room. So next time I will try it that way and see if it works. I don't think he's biting just to hurt..i think he just gets over excited and is trying to play toys only too rough..so we will try that..thanks to all of you..such great advice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs