Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM

591 posts, read 1,420,086 times

Advertisements

Hello. How is everyone? I have a male lab puppy, his name is Bobo and he is 2 1/2 months old. He has been so easy to train to do several dif tricks, is doing great on housetraining, I have no trouble getting him to stay in his crate happily. I have him on a feeding schedule. What i do is in the morn i take him outside to potty..then I bring him back inside to feed him..then we go back outside to do his business again..then we have play time for quite some time since he has been in his crate all night (except when I took him outside to potty) then he goes back in his crate for about..what i'm getting at is I feed on a schedule and I let him out to either train with me or to play after he goes potty..so he is out alot during the day.
My question is he is really hyper. Not that I mind..i love it that he loves to play with his toys..fetch ..ect...I just didn't know if this was normal in a lab. I've owned dogs for years..i've done alot of rescue..helped at my local animals shelter..ect..ect. So I've been around dogs my whole life, but this is the first lab I have ever owned and wondered if this was normal and will mellow out some as he ages..by the way he is an English Lab..not sure if you needed to knwo that or not. Anyway I'm wondering if I"m not stimulating him enough and thats why he is so hyper or if it's just him being a lab puppy. I have been around tons of pups and never seen one quite so rowdy. He is way too nippy as well..we are working on that one..He is an extremely smart pup. You wouldn't beleive all i've trained him to do so far..and I totally love love love him..so any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,335,244 times
Labs and goldens are very hyper when they are young. My boyfriend used to have to toss a frisbee with his golden pup for 45 minutes a day to help tire her out. If you can teach your puppy to fetch a ball or frisbee, that will be the best way to exercise the pup and not wear you out. Or find a friend that likes to go running and have them take your puppy along.

I am finding with my new two year old lab mix, that he loves to go for walks, and so we do that a lot. I mix it up with a neighborhood walk and then driving them all down to an athletic field by the river. I'm not thrilled about it, however admittedly I do need the exercise myself. lol. So in the big picture, all this walking is a good thing for everyone. I think that he's going to add many years to my life! My upper arms are getting a workout too.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 AM

591 posts, read 1,420,086 times
I take him on daily walks and we play fetch everyday (thats part of training him lol) I just didn't know if this was normal for a lab puppy or if I needed to up exercising him. Thank you for your help. I had no idea labs were so easy to train and so dang smart. I am crazy about him. lol..I can teach him a trick and he picks up on it so easily.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:17 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,335,244 times
Also, I've had the same problems with my new lab occasionally investigating and licking the stove top and turning on the gas. I feel that our kitchens can and should be lab-proofed just like a parent would do for a young child. I supect googling up "childproofing kitchens" would give us some excellent tips. I knew a woman that had to chain her refrigerator closed while she was at work, she had clever Weimaraners. With stovetops, I remember a suggestion about setting up some mousetraps on countertops and stove tops to teach large dogs not to go there... but I haven't tried that yet. Right now, I'm working from home and taking him in the car with me when I go out. And he loves car rides!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,510,017 times
Labs are hyper. They also chew things up.

They have low fear and a high pain thresh hold.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,072,319 times
Plus he's still a PUPPY! he's very young and will be goofy until he's at least2 y/o and maybe always - he's a lab.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,138,768 times
Mine is a pointer/lab and was pretty hyper but she is mellowed (sometimes) now she is 1 year old.

I say the best thing (as others will advise) is exercise that dog as much as you can. Keep that pup busy.

Labs are sooo smart. I tell mine to get such and such toy and she will go to her toybox or on the floor and get it.

Get a book of tricks and keep doing them for mental stimulation. That is what the trainer told us.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,086,617 times
The thing about him turning on the gas stove is scary. Glad you found that out and nothing bad happened.

My lab regularly locks me out of the house with those paws. One time I had to call a locksmith at the cost of $65... Since then, I never, ever go out any door without having keys with me -- just in case! He can open any door in a matter of seconds.

You're very fortunate that your dog is "crate friendly". Mine is not!

Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM

651 posts, read 1,421,533 times
As other have already noted, labs, especially young labs, are usually very hyper. The good news is you have a perfectly normal lab on your hands. The bad news is that labs typically have a longer "puppy-hood" that most other breeds. At age three they usually begin to calm down.

Some dogs, especially larger more active breeds, need more than just a daily walk to work off their energy. If you don't like to run, you could try riding your bike or roller-blading with your dog. If you try this, be careful as your lab may run out in front of you until he learns to stay to stay by your side. Also, start out slowly as he may not be in good enough shape yet to endure long bouts of high intensity exercise.

Also, try taking your dog to a local dog park a few times a week. Dog parks provide a great place for exercise and also allow dogs to be socialized with other humans and dogs. However, most dog parks do not allow entry until 4 months of age.

Finally, try to interest your puppy in a variety of games while he is inside. For example, rather than just handing your puppy treats, try hiding them around the house and have him find them. As he gets better at the game make the hiding place more difficult. This teaches him to finds things, excites his natural seeking instinct and keeps his mind active. You could also try rotating his toys rather than leaving them all out at once. Dogs like new toys and become bored with the old ones, just like us.

Good luck with your new puppy! Labs are wonderful companions and will reward you ten times over for the care you give them.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,685,675 times
Seems like puppies are hyper in general. My collie was a hyper nut and a bit 'bitey' (though she wouldn't even think of it now) when she was little. 2 to 4 years to mellow. Think of it this way...still less time than a kid! LOL! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs