Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 11:56 AM

104 posts, read 471,173 times

Advertisements

ditto what boomer's mom said, cathy. very sorry. tillie's mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 AM

129 posts, read 491,407 times
Cathy,I just returned home and read your messages. I'm so very sorry.Erica (with Scout)

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 AM

Well, Jan and company, I think I experienced my very own little "alien birth" this morning! I've been away taking care of my mother-in-law (who has tongue cancer--we though nasal was bad), and of course my husband says that Scout has been great--no discharge or stuffiness. Well, I return late last night to some blood spots in the basement. No big deal, but surprising because the only time he's really had a bloody nose is when he's met a strange dog (which causes him great anxiety). He goes out and romps around, seeming just fine.
Well, this morning I wake up to a fairly large bloody/tissue-colored chunk on the bedroom rug, as well as a pretty big puddle of blood on his blanket and other bloody spots everywhere. I didn't hear a thing in the night, and I'm a light sleeper. I have no idea if he sneezed or coughed it out, but I can't believe I wouldn't have heard it. I've never seen tumor or tissue before, so I can't guarantee that's what it was but it was gross! He's acting just fine this morning.
I never thought I'd do this, but I'm considering a round of palliative radiation, perhaps IMRT if I can find it. It hasn't been long since we finished definitive (less than 18 months), but he's symptomless other than some discharge, bloody noses here and there, and this blowout. I don't know what to think....
Any thoughts?
Erica

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
tillie had palliative radiation, IMRT, about 20 months after surgery and 20 days of radiation. we were disappointed to see that the cancer had returned so soon but the IMRT has given her at east another 14 months of a good life and was not at all taxing on either her or us - other than the drive to the place. hopefully you can find a facility within range that can do this procedure. good luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM

How many days was Tillie's IMRT?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Erica. Dash's IMRT was 5 days. I think Tillies was that too as she used the same vet for it unless it is different with dogs that had prior radiation. I am sorry to hear that Scout is at the point where you are considering more treatment but it seems that was a great thing for Tillie.

I am sad to have to say that tomorrow I will be calling my regular vet to see if he can squeeze Dash in for a quick look . I know they will be booked after a holiday weekend but I am hoping. Dash is acting normal. eating well, sleeping well. breathing well not pacing , no frantic panting like dogs in pain do,taking his perixocam and thyroid meds but refusing all tramadol. He finds the tramadol every single time no matter what it is in spits it out and looks at me like " you trying to kill me?" so now I don't even try. The swelling on his face has been itching so he is rubbing it on everything and has opened the area of his left eye which has been swollen shut so it is of this morning a big weeping wound, It is gross draining bloody pus and even pieces of tissue like his alien births that he sneezed out. It looks like it should hurt but does not seem too as he even lets me touch it and try to squeeze pus out but it is so gross looking!!!! he follows me around looking for his next snack so does not seem bothered by it except that it itches and then he will roll and rub and rub like it is bliss to do so. I am not sure what I do next? I am seriously thinking of putting him down but will let my vet look and see if he feels that opening it and draining it and flushing it would do any good but I think I know what it is going to come too.

I think it is much easier to put an animal down when they are in organ failure or having non stop seizures or unable to move, eat. sleep whatever but that is not the case. His only issues seem to be that huge itchy swelling and now the weeping wound that doesn't seem to be anything but itchy to him. I did promise him that quality of life was # 1 so am I compromising that promise if I don't let him go despite the fact he really does not seem to be in pain? If we can get in tomorrow and the vet feels that doing anything more is wrong then I will bring him home for a last night or two and let him eat whatever he feels like..spoil him rotten with people food which is his idea of total bliss. I know the end is near now and he will soon be free of this so if his time has come then let him go out with memories of a day of bliss. The IMRT and neoplasene gave Dash the time I had wanted now if I can put aside my greedy heart that wants more time and look at this as we all die and now is his time. Easy to say difficult to carry out! I will let you all know what the vet and I decide. Jan

Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Jan, we're having our own tough day, and your message brought me to tears. I'll be thinking of you and Dash and wishing for the best, whichever it may be.

erica

Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM

14 posts, read 54,604 times
Default Milo - RIP

After a long battle and being a strong boy, Milo decided he was tired and ready to go. Lucky for me that he had no nose bleeds! He had started to show signs of twitching which lead me to believe that his cancer, taking the path of least resistence would soon go to his brain. I told him to let me know in a way that I could understand, when he was ready to go. He never gave me a look or anything like that. Early this morning he had a seizure. We had a talk with the vet last week that resulted in our decision that if he did have a seizure, we would let him go. Thats what happened today. I can honestly say that the best thing about cancer is that it gave me some time to "come to terms" with what was going to happen. I made sure that they gave him a sedative that would make him go to sleep so when I was with him he fell asleep and was still breathing. I wrapped him in a beautiful quilt, like a sleeping baby and left. They did the rest after I left. Rest in piece my sweet, lovely dog boy! I love you forever!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 54,604 times
Jan -

Have you tried hot dogs? I will love hot dogs forever because of Milo! He was very picky and still he loved hot dogs so much he would take his meds in them. I would open the frige, show him the bag and ask him if he was hungry. He would look at the bag and wait. I would get a plate, put it in the micowave for 30 seconds and take it out and ask him...do you want your dinner? He would wait. I would then cut it in small slices and make a small slit in the middle and put the pill in it. It worked every time! In the last couple of days Milo didn't want the small slices...and even though he had major swelling from the cancer in the roof of his mouth...i figured out he wanted big pieces! I was able to make a small slice in either end and shove a pill in. The pill I gave him that was from the powder of a capsul I put down in a slice in the long side of the hot dog. Try it!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Meggin.

I am so very sorry to hear about Milo. I too had decided if Dash started having seizures that I would put him down as I really was expecting it to go to his brain. Milo sounded like a great boy and I know how much you will miss him.It is funny sometimes the things cancer can teach us as you say it allowed you to come to terms with what was going to happen. With my mom I started seeing cancer as a calling card saying the end may be near so pile on all your love now and make the most of each day. I use to think it was the worst way to die but now I don't as unlike a sudden death you have time to say good bye and when death arrives often you are at peace with it..not so with a sudden death.

I hope ypu are soon able to smile at the mention of the name Milo as I know you have gteat memories in your heart that will always be there, Heres a big ((((((( HUG))))))) for you on this difficult day. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs