Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 AM

65 posts, read 136,405 times

Advertisements

thanks Jan!!

both Luna and Emma need it so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM

72 posts, read 160,432 times
Sending prayers to Luna and to Emma. Rocky and mom xo

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM

the more they are.. the better it is.

darbi: Luna says THANKS ALL! and... so do I

Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM

60 posts, read 170,437 times
Hello Everyone,
Hope all is well. Love all the pictures of Luna on FB, she looks great and looks like she is truly enjoying life. Her doggy smile alone makes it all worth the radiations appts, costs, and vet trips...As for Jan, yes you are right that no dog will ever be just like Sheldon and he will always have a special place in my heart. I look forward to the day that another dog comes into my life, it just isnt today. Actually I will be starting volunteer work at a local animal shelter and you never know maybe i will come across a pup that i connect with and can open my heart to. Besides my grieving of Sheldon, I just started a new job a few months ago and i have just recently moved so it is not the time for a new pup for many reasons. I do have to say that I am starting to already think about whether or not I want to get another rottie, a different breed, or maybe a mutt..Again i think working at the shelter may open my eyes to new possibilities.
As for Emma, the biggest update is that all the blood work came back and it revealed that her platelet count is very low, to the point where the vet couldnt even perform surgery because her blood would not clot afterwards. So she is now on the anti-biotic (doxycyline) and prendisone to get her platelet count up. Oh and whatever this is, it is not a tick-borne illness as her lyme disease tests came back negative. So again its wait and see. My boyfriend is considering switching her vet ( actually to Sheldon's old vet) because the current one has been really rude and insensitive through this whole process. I know that when Sheldon was going through all this I took vet's words like gold and I was treated with professsionalism and sympathy. Thats very important to have when going through a tough time like this. So we'll see what comes out of it. It never ends! One day at a time.
Hope everyone has a great weekend and I will be thinking of you all...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
Was hoping we would be hearing better news for Emma so am sorry to hear that isn't so.(yet) I hope they can figure out what is causing this pretty soon and will continue to send healing prayers and thoughts her way. I agree having a vet you feel you can trust helps alot and there really is no reason for a vet to treat an owner rude.I changed vets with my first dog Maddie when we discovered her heart murmur as the vet seemed more interested in the money he could make and when I would not do yet another test he said " well I guess you do not love your dog" How rude was that? I had to fight him to borrow the Xrays to take to the new vet.It was not pretty. I am still with the new vet I took her too and ( 16 yrs later) and he managed to keep her alive and well and really reduce the murmur without all the expensive tests until she developed lymphoma a few years later at age 14. I trust him and that makes a huge differece when you have a critically ill dog.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 AM

72 posts, read 160,432 times
The pictures are wonderful of Luna, Alessia. She is a beautiful girl. I agree that changing vets for Emma would maybe be a good idea. We did this for my son's dog, after Rocky passed and he difference in peace of mind is well worth it. . The dog next door, a swee lab, has been sick and they took her yesterday and it is pancreatitus. That is 3 dogs in a row on our street in the past 3 months - makes you wonder as none had eaten anything strange. Joyce, I think that is a wonderful thing to help in a shelter. They are in need of loving hands. And we had thought of, in time, maybe a companion for Sarge who misses Rocky. Hugs to Dazzle and Jazz. And our prayers for Luna and Emma. Rocky and Darbi

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

quick update:

Luna is doing great in the sense that she has a lot of energy (much more than before), plays, wants to eat more than ever and seems pretty much happy... but...

not only the sneezes didn't decrease in number but.... she also had reverse sneezes (twice a day) for two days in a row now... which I DO hate and scare me a lot... but there's no discharge (snots)...or blood...

I'm wondering if it's not the fault of the homeopatic drops I'm giving her 3 times a day as... at first she only sneezed when I was giving those drops to her (they contain alcohol), I mean immediatly after... and then, after a few days, she started sneezing/reverse sneezing again...

I'm gonna call the holistic vet tomorrow to ask if that is possible... when I told him that Luna sneezed every time I gave her the drops, he just suggested me to mix the drops with tiepid water (to make alcohol evaporate)... but she sneezes anyway after I give drops to her .... and I don't know if these sneezes have caused more sneezes as the membranes are "stimulated"....
I need to know if we can change and use tablets/powder/capsules instead of these horrible "alcoholic drops".... to see if anything changes....

I'm getting crazy at each sneeze and now so scared from the reverse sneezes... ... uffffffffffffffffffff.....

Has anyone ever given hompeopatic drops to his/her dog?

Thanks for listening to me...

Alessia (an Luna who's playing with her ball now)

Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM

129 posts, read 491,817 times
Alessia,
I too have noticed (and remember from previous RTs) that Scout is reverse sneezing more than he was before therapy. He's now had 2 IMRT treatments, and the reverse sneezing has increased. I'm sure it's just irritation from all that's going on in there, and I'm not concerned at all.

I am also remembering the drainage that comes with radiation as that sinus cavity opens up again! Whew, I'm constantly mopping up my floor and his poor little face is always covered in salty goo.

Our last RT is next Friday. The docs were shocked by how fast he responded. I wish it were possible to give one treatment every four months or so...for a dog like Scout who responds so quickly, it could be like a maintenance plan. Except for the CT scan issue--wouldn't want to be paying for one of those every 4 months!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 AM

thanks erica for your words of encouragment....

Luna too had more reverse sneezes (but no sneezes) during RT... but once we finished ... they stopped totally for like ten days and then... ... again! (+ normal sneezes)

in Scout's case... he's still during RT ... luna is a bit more than 3 weeks after RT (was 3 weeks from last treatment yesterday) and so acute side-effects should be finished ... do you think it is normal anyway?

Another question: how many treatments did scout have last time he went throught a palliative treatment?this time is 3 ... what about last time? was it 5 or still 3?is this one "lighter" than the previous one?
Did they give you a prognosis? (that I'm SOOOOOOO sure will be much less than what Scout will reach). GO SCOUT GO!!!!!!!!we're all with you!!!!!!

How is he doing now?Luna and I wish you 2 all the best... from the deepest of our hearts!!I've thought of you guys a lot in the last weeks... and still... keep us updated.

PS: kisses and hugs to dear Emma.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM

129 posts, read 491,817 times
Thanks for your kind words, Alessia. I am sure that the reverse sneezes are simply a result of the RT. Luna's nasal passages will never be the same and you should expect sneezes and drainage from now on. Don't be concerned, just enjoy her!

Scout had three treatments for palliative care each time (for a total of two times now) and 10 treatments a few years ago for definitive protocol. His is IMRT--not sure if that's what Emma had...

He's doing great--just got back from a hike and swim. Glad Luna is doing well. Please try not to worry about every little thing that comes up--it'll make you crazy. Instead, enjoy the good time she has!

Best wishes,
Erica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs