Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 AM

240 posts, read 471,118 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on the teacup poodles such as how big do they actually get as adults, what are their temperments and anything else you may know? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:26 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
i think the term teacup (whether it be poodle or yorkie or chihuahua) really doesnt mean anything special except that they are smaller than the average and maybe even the runt of the litter or maybe even more prone to sickness?
i am not sure about this but i have read of the teacup term meaning basically nothing so dont pay more for one!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
My grandmother had/and raised them for years They are very tiny and are typical poodle like. She liked them because she could put them in her purse or pocket and tote them around.
She had regular size poodles also yrs ago but when she found the smaller ones she preferred them because they were smaller.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
My grandmother had/and raised them for years They are very tiny and are typical poodle like. She liked them because she could put them in her purse or pocket and tote them around.
She had regular size poodles also yrs ago but when she found the smaller ones she preferred them because they were smaller.
Thank you,
I find them to be so precious. I have only seen photos of them. I am yearning for a dog, but want something small. Struggling with the responsiblilty that would come with it. I swore that I would never get another dog after I lost my retriever approx 12 yrs. ago. It broke my families heart. I felt miserable. But 12 yrs. have passed and now I on teetering on getting a new pet.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Basically a tea cup is under 5 pounds
A toy poodle is under 15 pounds
A minature poodle is under 25.
Standard poodles are big.

I am probably off on the weights a bit.
We have a boy who weights in at 5.5

A litter can include teacups and standards, it is just luck. But two toys will normally have baby toys. I had a girl toy who had a litter of two - one was a teacup and one toy.
The AKA does not list size on their papers.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Basically a tea cup is under 5 pounds
A toy poodle is under 15 pounds
A minature poodle is under 25.
Standard poodles are big.

I am probably off on the weights a bit.
We have a boy who weights in at 5.5

A litter can include teacups and standards, it is just luck. But two toys will normally have baby toys. I had a girl toy who had a litter of two - one was a teacup and one toy.
The AKA does not list size on their papers.

OMG, this picture is adorable! Thanks for your info. My daughter and I were torn between a poodle and terrier. We are gng to a breeder tonite ,approx. 7pm, to hopefully pick out a teacup terrier. My husband not to crazy about it. lol, guess the size has something to do with it. Big step for us. After are retriever passed away, we swore we would not be doing this again. So on the ride to the breeder, I will have to give it one last consideration, but I am sure once we see the teacup we will be smitten. Again thanks for you info and your picture.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
There's a huge difference in the temperament of a poodle and a terrier. Please, please read up on the terrier traits. Even the teensy weensy ones will still have a lot of terrier personality. (And the difference between terrier personalities and Goldens is extreme. I have both.)

I'm crazy about my two, but I did a lot of reading before I got the first one and I'm glad I did. They're very independent and stubborn. I knew housetraining wasn't going to be as easy as it was with my Golden, so I was prepared. Kind of. It was still harder than other breeds I've housebroken.

If you're charmed by their tiny size and treat them as anything other than a real dog, you've lost the battle.

On the other hand, raised correctly they'll be a delight every day.

I would steer clear of a breeder who's telling you they have teacup Yorkies. No such beast.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
There's a huge difference in the temperament of a poodle and a terrier. Please, please read up on the terrier traits. Even the teensy weensy ones will still have a lot of terrier personality. (And the difference between terrier personalities and Goldens is extreme. I have both.)

I'm crazy about my two, but I did a lot of reading before I got the first one and I'm glad I did. They're very independent and stubborn. I knew housetraining wasn't going to be as easy as it was with my Golden, so I was prepared. Kind of. It was still harder than other breeds I've housebroken.

If you're charmed by their tiny size and treat them as anything other than a real dog, you've lost the battle.

On the other hand, raised correctly they'll be a delight every day.

I would steer clear of a breeder who's telling you they have teacup Yorkies. No such beast.
Thanks! I came home empty handed last night. I stayed at the breeders house for approx. 1 hr. They were incredibly cute.
You are so right about charming you and how you can easily treat them like a lil baby and ruin the training. That was exactly my thought last night.
I realized that all I wanted to do was cuddle them. Not a good thing when you have to house train. So I decided to go home and give it some more thought. The visit was well worth it, reality set in. Thanks for the tips, I'm glad I did not bring one home and then read your post, lol. You have helped in my decision, thanks again.

Last edited by bingo08; 12-16-2007 at 05:03 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
I have read that the smaller dogs are prone to hypoglycemia and do not tolerate anesthesia well if they need major surgery.

If you want a small dog that sheds little, look at the Yorkie or Maltese.

Teacups and other advertisements for 'size' are marketing and not an AKC standard. Look to the national organizations of the breed to read more about them. Regarding Poodles, I only know of the Standard, Miniature and Toy. For temperament and health, you are better off with a miniature (15 lbs) than a toy, as I was advised when I was researching them. I don't know how old your child is, but a smaller sized dog is at risk of serious injury from rough handling and from jumping off of the couch or bed.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have read that the smaller dogs are prone to hypoglycemia and do not tolerate anesthesia well if they need major surgery.

If you want a small dog that sheds little, look at the Yorkie or Maltese.

Teacups and other advertisements for 'size' are marketing and not an AKC standard. Look to the national organizations of the breed to read more about them. Regarding Poodles, I only know of the Standard, Miniature and Toy. For temperament and health, you are better off with a miniature (15 lbs) than a toy, as I was advised when I was researching them. I don't know how old your child is, but a smaller sized dog is at risk of serious injury from rough handling and from jumping off of the couch or bed.
Thanks, good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs