Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM

79 posts, read 231,160 times

Advertisements

What a cute ferret. But then I don't suppose there are any ferrets that aren't cute, huh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM

138 posts, read 618,702 times
There is no such thing as a "teacup" dog. When these "breeders" call them "teacups", all they are doing is breeding small dogs, usually the runts of the litters to make them smaller. Which in turn leads to health problems. Please don't support these back yard breeders by falling in to buying their "teacup" dogs. They are doing nothing but looking out for themselves and breeding for money.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
There is no such thing as a "teacup" dog. When these "breeders" call them "teacups", all they are doing is breeding small dogs, usually the runts of the litters to make them smaller. Which in turn leads to health problems. Please don't support these back yard breeders by falling in to buying their "teacup" dogs. They are doing nothing but looking out for themselves and breeding for money.
Amen!!!!

I cringe when I see the word "teacup" in association with dogs. The toy breeds are small -- they don't need unscrupulous breeders giving into a fad and making them smaller. Dogs are not purse accessories.

I rescued a dog who was labeled as a Yorkie when he was a puppy. He had the "misfortune" to grow to be 11 pounds. No one wanted him so he was cast aside and neglected. I adopted him -- he was a darling little chap and he's turned into my best pal. I had folks tell me he looked to be the picture of a Silky Terrier and that turned out to be the case! He had come with some info and when I Googled the breeder, I found that she does breed and show Yorkies and Silkies. Regardless, I got a wonderful dog who wasn't wanted and was abused because he wasn't a "teacup."

My advice to anyone wanting a tiny pet -- get a hamster or guinea pig. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
See my post, earlier in this thread (post #18): There's the breed standard for the dog's size and THAT IS IT. 'Teacup' is a marketing tool. Which many people, for whatever reason, believe.

Do yourselves and your dogs a favor: do some serious research before looking for a dog. Go to dog shows. Talk to exhibitors. Work in dog rescue (that will cure you forever of wanting a puppy when you see how many fabulous, adult dogs are left out in the cold).

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,681 times
I made the mistake of purchasing a teacup poodle from a breeder, [mod]please, no specific consumer complaints[/mod] and the pup was very sick. The breeder didn't tell me she had 3 "low blood sugar" events. She had a heart murmur and level 4 (the highest) toxicity for coccidia and giardia. The ER vet bill proved she was a sick pup and this puppy mill type breeder knew it. I learned the very hard way. Save your heart.

Last edited by leorah; 09-26-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: removed breeder name and location-possible defamation issue

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,442 times
Be very mindful of owning a tea cup poodle. I own one and I love him to death however, he's 2lbs and he has broken his leg before turning one. Vet are expensive and tea cups have fragile bones, especially their legs. Keep them low becasue jumping oof of funiture can cause broken limps.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,350,242 times
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard and read that teacup "anything" is very often not bred well. Be careful.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
the term "teacup" is a fad term coined by bybs, puppy stores and millers to charge more oney for UNDERSIZED dogs.
teacups come form a veriety of situations, many come from mothers who wernt properly nourished during pregnancy, and many more are simply putting high price tags on the runt of the litter...

the probelm with the populatiry is people seeinf $$ signs started purposly breeding smaller and smaller with absolutly no reguards to any kind of genetic testing...and given most of these smaller dogs were already runts (runts are typically weaker in the immune system) breedin grunt to runt has worsend the health of an already damaged breed.

personally id RUN form any "breeder" using the term "teacup"
(this goes for chihuahuas too...i mean seriously is 3lbs not small enough?!)

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,657 times
Please don't buy a teacup anything.

These dogs have many problems esp with their limbs.subluxating patellas are a huge problem
Also heart defects.

Don't encourage these breeders.

So many pure breeds if that is what you are into are in shelters and need good homes and aren't going to break your pocket book.

Also you get an idea of the size and temprement of the dog.Many too are house trained and won't chew up your house.like a puppy might..

Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,350,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the term "teacup" is a fad term coined by bybs, puppy stores and millers to charge more oney for UNDERSIZED dogs.
teacups come form a veriety of situations, many come from mothers who wernt properly nourished during pregnancy, and many more are simply putting high price tags on the runt of the litter...

the probelm with the populatiry is people seeinf $$ signs started purposly breeding smaller and smaller with absolutly no reguards to any kind of genetic testing...and given most of these smaller dogs were already runts (runts are typically weaker in the immune system) breedin grunt to runt has worsend the health of an already damaged breed.

personally id RUN form any "breeder" using the term "teacup"
(this goes for chihuahuas too...i mean seriously is 3lbs not small enough?!)

Amen. I didn't want to put it so directly, but I'm glad you did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs