Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,284,086 times

Advertisements

I use a oatmeal shamppoo as well BUt we only bath him 4 times a year. We bath him in the master bathroom shower w/ shower doors closed.
He never smells or is dirty ...even tho he runs through fields of hay and tall grass in the mornings. He'll be covered in seeds and dirty, but by the end of the day he's clean as a whistle and he always smells SO GOOD! He smells like oatmeal. He cna play outside ALL DAY(which he does on my parents farm) and still NO SMELL! My moms two outdoor dogs are like this too. They all have some time of herding breed in them. The hair is thick but fine, so dirty doesn't collect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,179,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I use a oatmeal shamppoo as well BUt we only bath him 4 times a year. We bath him in the master bathroom shower w/ shower doors closed.
He never smells or is dirty ...even tho he runs through fields of hay and tall grass in the mornings. He'll be covered in seeds and dirty, but by the end of the day he's clean as a whistle and he always smells SO GOOD! He smells like oatmeal. He cna play outside ALL DAY(which he does on my parents farm) and still NO SMELL! My moms two outdoor dogs are like this too. They all have some time of herding breed in them. The hair is thick but fine, so dirty doesn't collect.
We normally bathe ours about 4 times a year as well. Well, the girls aren't even a year old yet! lol! Brooklyn is 1 year 5 months (We got him when he was 8 weeks), Jayda is 10 months (We got her when she was about 7 months) and Destiny is 8 months (We got her when she was 6 weeks. We were told she was 8 weeks when we got her, that's a long story though! lol!) Jayda has had one since we got her and that was 4 months ago and Destiny has had two since we got her, one the day we brought her home and one 4 months ago. Brooklyn has had a few baths and his last bath was also 4 months ago. I'm going to bathe them all in a little while, that's why I asked this question. I was thinking about it and I wanted to see what everyone else does. Our pups don't really smell much either, but they are inside dogs. They go on at least 2 walks a day, we try to take them on 3 whenever we can, and each walk is 45-60 minutes. But they walk around the neighborhood, so they are walking on concrete and in grass. We do take them to the beach a lot, but unless they get in the water we don't bathe them after the beach. If they do get in the water we rinse them off when we get home and spray that medicated PH balance spray of them, so the salt water doesn't dry their skin out. They do start to get that doggy smell after about 4 months, but it's not like a nasty smell. Again though, they are inside dogs, so I'm sure that why they stay smelling so good for so long!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,366,478 times
We bathe our girl in the tub every 2 weeks. If we don't, she starts to get a "doggy" smell. She doesn't love the bath, but she tolerates the bath. We have never allowed her to jump in and out of the tub like others, mostly because I'd be afraid she would try to run off, plus the tile floor gets pretty slippery.

PitBullMommie1206, they do make some of those suction thingys you can put in the bath tub and tether your dog to. At least it would keep them from running away during their bath, although they could still be a moving target. I've never used them, but they may be worth trying.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,925,307 times
I have a portable tub that I use outside during the summer. The only time they get bathed in the winter is when they stay at the kennel.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 AM

673 posts, read 3,148,341 times
I dont trim my dogs nails, we get it done when he gets his hair trimmed usually every three months. His ears are always checked at the vet and I know the groomer cleans them nice as well so I dont mess with them. We havent had a problem with dirty ears. I do brush my dog's teeth with a mint dog tooth paste and he doesnt seem to mind. Actually he gets excited when I get his tooth brush out! :-)

Old 09-23-2007, 02:08 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,507,102 times
Chelsea is a pain in the ***** to bathe, she struggles and fights the whole time. She is a herd dog lile Kelly3120's dog, she never smells and looks sparkling clean all the time and she is like 95 percent white with thick soft silky fur. She gets brushed a few times a week and maybe one bath a year. She loves to swim in the ocean. When I bathe her I use "Fur so Fresh", it is nuetral and does not cause her skin to break out like flea or deodarant type shampoos do. I let the groomer do her toes because she fights me so hard that I am afraid that I will hurt her in the struggle, she lets me clean her ears though, she actually seems to like it. Oh, she loves to be vacuumed

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,913,501 times
Lady, my APBT was OK at first going in the bathtub at home....not so much anymore!!...LOL

I go to a place my brother suggested. It's a Car Wash/Self-Serve Dog Wash!...lol...I know it's sounds funny but it's been a huge lifesaver place for me.
I usually go when I know it won't be too busy. I bring her own shampoo and towels.
There are no "tubs" where you need to pick up your dog...they have walk in stalls, it's great! The place is very clean and very popular around here.
Abby, my Border Collie--I take her to Petsmart. Although, I think I will try next time to take her to the self-serve wash.

I always try to turn things that they fear into something fun...use baby talk if you have to...lol...and treats....I never yell at my dogs or create more fear by forcing them to do something they clearly do not want to do. Won't get anywhere doing that..they'll only despise bath time that much more. Dogs pick up on their owners anxiety.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:26 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,913,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Oh, she loves to be vacuumed

LOL....I thought my dog was the only oddball that likes being vacuumed...lol
Every time I take out the Dust Buster to do the sofa Abby comes running over and will stand there till I run the Buster along her back ...LOL...she'll stand there forever having it done to her!!...

Whereas Lady runs as fast as she can when she hears the vacuum start up...lol...I think she is realizing that it is not a threat, just makes noise.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:18 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,712 times
Like your doggies, Portia and Hef do not like baths. But Hef likes when you towel dry him. Anyway, we wash our dogs once a month, but during the wintertime - every two or more months. We use some orange shampoo that we bought at a pet store ( I need to look at the name ), and we have anti - dandurf shampoo for Hef. We towel dry them afterwards, and then they dry off on their own. During the wintertimes I use blow dryer on Portia - but it is on very low. We cut their nails at home ( we bought a good nail clipper at a pet store - the one that has a "safety thing" where you cannot cut "too much" nail ), we clean their ears by ourselves, and we brush their teeth as well ( at home ).

Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,712 times
Forgot to add, we bath our dogs outside during the summer, but I really want to get them a "doggie bathtub" - even if it is an older one, because they always mess up our tub and shower - BADLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs