Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 AM

33 posts, read 60,140 times

Advertisements

Do you do it yourself or take her/him somewhere?
If you do it yourself, what product(s) do you use?

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,914 times
About twice per year. I take him to a do-it-yourself dog wash (regular-sized bathtubs are mounted into the wall so that humans don't have to bend over). The dog wash provides the shampoos and conditioners. I usually use a mixture of whitening and oatmeal and I may rub some conditioner into the hair of his britches, which is usually a bit coarser.

Siberian Husky fur is non-oily so it doesn't retain dirt and odors. Thus, they don't require frequent baths. However, he does sometimes get a waxy build-up on his fur...probably the sebum and dander mixing together. So once a month or so he gets a thorough wipe-down with a damp rag that's been soaked in white vinegar and water. Takes the wax right off...and the pickle smell goes away after day or so. (Just kidding about the smell.)

Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Our labs at least one a month, three days after their Revolution treatment.

I do it myself.

Most of the time I use my shampoo and conditioner.

Sometimes I remember to buy dog shampoo.

Nails are clipped that night.

We bush teeth every night.

The hounds I have never bathed. Trainers all seemed to agree unless there is a reson, not to bathe them.

Just a good bushing and always clean straw in their houses.

I do bush their teeth and clip nails.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
About twice per year. I take him to a do-it-yourself dog wash (regular-sized bathtubs are mounted into the wall so that humans don't have to bend over). The dog wash provides the shampoos and conditioners. I usually use a mixture of whitening and oatmeal and I may rub some conditioner into the hair of his britches, which is usually a bit coarser.

Siberian Husky fur is non-oily so it doesn't retain dirt and odors. Thus, they don't require frequent baths. However, he does sometimes get a waxy build-up on his fur...probably the sebum and dander mixing together. So once a month or so he gets a thorough wipe-down with a damp rag that's been soaked in white vinegar and water. Takes the wax right off...and the pickle smell goes away after day or so. (Just kidding about the smell.)
I wish they had dog washes around here.

I get a little stool and sit by the tub now.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Every four weeks, like clockwork. In the winter, though, I sometimes skip a month, but in the summer, it's according to schedule.

I use some "regular" doggie shampoo, and do it in the shower stall. The whole thing takes five minutes, although Artie would say that it feels like five hours.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
Unless there is a reason do not bathe them.

When they get sprayed by a skunk or before pictures are taken.
Other wise when they stink or once to twice a year.

Over bathing is much worse than no bathing at all.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Interesting question.... Depends on the dog & situation. Katie lucky to get/need a bath once a yr. Lady-Bug on the other hand started out geting Daily baths....Her breeder didnt Teach her to be clean! She came to me peeing then play & sleeping in it! Bad habit to break! Eveyone I talked to advised to bathe her often get her in the habit of NOT smelling like pee! So for over a month she got bath Every morning! & IF I missed getting to her she got a bath then. Now its about 1-2 times a week! At almost 8 months old she starting to progress on house training! And Loves to Smell nice LOL I use a cheep shampoo from Family Dollar.... Milk & Honey Scent! When I used a reg Doggy Shampoo she didnt care! LOL

Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,444,618 times
I do it myself, with one of those sprayer attachments for the shower. That makes it sooo much easier. The frequency varies, just when my nose, eyes or hands (beginnings of a greasy feel) tell me they need it. You don't want to dry their skin out too much.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I do it myself, with one of those sprayer attachments for the shower. That makes it sooo much easier. The frequency varies, just when my nose, eyes or hands (beginnings of a greasy feel) tell me they need it. You don't want to dry their skin out too much.
Oh yes...I love my sprayer.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
Once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs