Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times

Advertisements

She gets groomed about 4 times/year but how often can I bathe her between groomings? Monthly?

She's healthy and has no skin issues.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,690 times
How does she feel in between her grooming?

We had folks bring in their dogs almost weekly for grooming which is to much IMO, as it strips the oils from the dog's skin. I have short haired breeds so normally when I feel "build-up" on my hands I bathe them. When I had longer hair breeds I was able to stretch it out by a few months. Brushing really helps too. Or you can try wipes

Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
I do brush her so she doesn't actually feel all that dirty under normal circumstances but she will start to smell a bit.

Today, however, I took her to the dog park and her whole "undercarriage" was a mess. And this is a dog park with no grass, just dry gravel!

Is every 6 weeks or so too much bathing?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,690 times
Actually that's the recommendation we gave to our clients. Unless their dog had allergies then a bit more frequent. If she really smells bad, I'd bath her otherwise I would try the wipes.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I think every 6 weeks sounds about right. That's probably about how long I go inbetween baths for my dog. I can tell when my hands start to feel dirty after I pet him that he needs a bath again.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM

768 posts, read 859,124 times
My cockapoo is groomed every 8 weeks...in between, we give him one bath. He stays clean and does not smell bad. Groomer has not complained about lack of oil in his coat, so I think we're good.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Since I've had show dogs for decades, I can assure you that they can be bathed once a week, plus another 2 baths on the weekend and their coats and skin will be fine. You must use good quality shampoo, a conditioner, and a very good diet.

Skin and hair quality comes from the diet. Once you have good condition on the skin and coat, you can wash all you want to as long as you don't strip the oils from the coat and you replace any oils lost with a good conditioner.

Many dog shampoos are too harsh. Use top of the line dog shampoos or else use shampoo made for show horeses. Show horses are bathed frequently, sometimes daily, and horses have very sensitive skin. Show horse shampoo will not harm a dog's coat or skin.

If the only problem is odor and not dirt, then use a brush-out dry shampoo made for show dogs. Or even just use cornstarch. Work it through the coat and then brush it out.

Or the dog can be spritzed with some diluted Listerine mouthwash and toweled off with a slight damp towel.

Dogs who get eye stains need to have the face washed every day to keep the staining under control.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
We try to wash our little guys eyes out, because of the stains about every few days. Other than that and brushing we do nothing between groomings. We don't even brush him too often, he hates it. We do have him groomed about every 8 to 10 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs