Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM

398 posts, read 985,246 times

Advertisements

We adopted him when he was 8 weeks old and he's done with all his vaccinations. Thoughts on getting him neutered now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
First and foremost, what does your vet say? Oftentimes it depends on the size of the dog, mine wasnt comfortable spaying mine til she was past 6 months (small breed).

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
What size?

Many people (and vets) advise waiting until long bone growth is completed/growth plates are closed. Which in a larger dog may be 14-16 months.
Or, not ever neutering. It's not mandatory, you know.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

He's a schoodle and 8 pounds now at 13 weeks. Vet said 6 months.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM

A "schnoodle/schoodle" is a cross between some kind of schnauzer and some kind of poodle, I guess? And at that, size, I am guessing not the standard size of either breed, so you have a smallish mixed-breed dog.

Six months is the standard age that most vets recommend. Chances are he'll be fine being neutered at that age...I'm assuming you are not training him for anything. There is no medical reason to neuter a dog unless you don't think you can manage to contain an intact dog responsibly; doing a pediatric neuter may make the dog more puppy-ish and easier-going for his whole life. Most people like this.

Personally I would wait another six months (or not neuter at all, unless there's some reason you want to) but if your goal is an easy-going, socially-acceptable pet, then now is as good a time as any. He'll be fine.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Schnoodle = Schnauzer + Poodle mix and he'll grow to 14-15" height, I guess. I'm definitely going to neuter him; just a question of when.

He's a pretty quick learner - taught him potty training by hanging a small bell on the door handle and ringing it announcing "outside" and then we go out for him to pee and go potty. Since last week, he either stands at the door and stares or barks once at my me or now that he's tall enough, jumps and rings the bell! Its awesome - I'll try and get a video next time. Also, sits, down and hello.

Anyways, I digress, he is pretty stubborn and does nip at times and barks at a lot of things - almost bit my vet/snapped at him, lol - I know thats probably for a number of possible reasons. I don't intend to make him a stud and so don't want him frustrated and to develop an aggressive side to him once he hits puberty, hence the decision.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
I have always heard (from vets) that 6 months or before a female dog's first menses.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Aggressiveness towards humans is not associated with gonadal (sp) status....if he is barking and nipping and active he sounds like a feisty, fun, normal puppy who could probably benefit from obedience training and structure! Neutering won't change his drives; training and exercise will do that.

I like feisty puppies. But it's not really a "lol" that he snapped at your vet, although that may be just normal puppy uppitieness. Don't let his relatively small size lull you into thinking that it's somehow cute that he snaps at people...that is never cute or acceptable. Neutering won't change that.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
chiro, thile i agree that neutering doesnt change traits and drives,
i dont think suggesting a normal person keep thier dog intact is a good idea either, there are MANY risks to keeping an intact make who will never be bred, unneutered males not used for breeding are highly prone to testicular cancer and more so a scilent killer of prostate cancer.

in the op's case they want to neuter so i say go for it...

in terms of when...generally with TOY and Giant breeds i wait, 8 months minimum for toy breeds (i like them to get a little larger for saftey before surgery) and for GIANT breeds i like long bone development to finnish out (generally around 1 1/2-2 yrs of age...

for medium-large breeds i usually like the 8-12 month window, but for anything thats going to mature in the 15-50lb range i generally suggest (after much discussion with vets about the topic) between 6-8 months of age.

i dont like pediatric spay/neuter or anything before 6 months, but for many breeds the 6-8 month range is usually the "safe zone"
if your vet says 6 and your comofrtable with that, then that should be your aim.

side note...
would love to see pics of your little schnauzer mix...i love shcnauzer faces :P

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
A good number of the stray dogs who wind up in the shelter are unneutered males. They can sense a ***** in heat and escape to go seek out that female in heat. The result -- a stray dog and an unwanted litter of puppies. In North Texas alone over 17,000 unwanted dogs and cats are euthanized each month. I wholeheartedly support the practice of neutering all but dogs being bred by a responsible breeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs