Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times

Advertisements

Hello. I thought I'd reach out and get some feedback from a larger population rather than just asking a handful of people I know. I have a cocker spaniel who is just about 4 months old and at times he tends to want to bite rather than "soft bite" because of the teething. Some people have said to grab him by the neck and be stern with him but quite honestly, I don't like it. I don't want him to develop any fear of us. I try to keep him preoccupied and throw random toys around to play fetch. I also found that ice cubes help a lot. We've picked up various teething and chewing toys, which he plays with but sometimes he seems riled up and there's no way of calming him down. A hand, foot or leg seem to interest him more than a toy. I won't use treats to get him to stop because we associate treats with good behavior. We've also tried the "ignore" method and turn our back on him but he just persists. It's easier for hubby and I since we're adults but my 10 year old can't "defend" herself. Commands like "stop", "down", "drop" just don't work when he's in "crazy mode" (I mean that in a cute and an endearing way). It sometimes happens daily but usually towards the night time. Aside from behavior classes, what can anyone recommend outside of what I am already doing? Or maybe correct what I'm doing? I have never owned a dog before and hubby hasn't owned a dog since..well, a long time.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,675 times
Sometimes making a loud "ouch" (more to redirect her attention.) A stern "NO" is always good. Grabbing her by the neck, I would not do.
Another method used, before playing with her and letting her get to "crazy" mode (which I would refrain from doing) take a stick of butter (not margerine) and put in the freezer for a couple of minutes. Then open the stick, keep the paper on it and smear the open end on the top of your hand or top of foot. (It gives your hand or foot a different texture and helps them to stop using it for a chew toy.)

I prefer the loud "ouch" or "no" re-direct her attention and give her a chew toy. You can always hand over the chew toy and walk away.

Let me tell you what her mom would do: nip or bite her back (which I am not suggesting you do) and then she would walk away. Her timing is perfect and her pup would know exactly what not to do. Not only would her mom do this but also her litter mates. (Since they can't talk, they might yelp, bite her back and walk away...in that order.)

It is very simple communication. Ouch, no...I won't play with you.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Sometimes making a loud "ouch" (more to redirect her attention.) A stern "NO" is always good. Grabbing her by the neck, I would not do.
Another method used, before playing with her and letting her get to "crazy" mode (which I would refrain from doing) take a stick of butter (not margerine) and put in the freezer for a couple of minutes. Then open the stick, keep the paper on it and smear the open end on the top of your hand or top of foot. (It gives your hand or foot a different texture and helps them to stop using it for a chew toy.)

I prefer the loud "ouch" or "no" re-direct her attention and give her a chew toy. You can always hand over the chew toy and walk away.

Let me tell you what her mom would do: nip or bite her back (which I am not suggesting you do) and then she would walk away. Her timing is perfect and her pup would know exactly what not to do. Not only would her mom do this but also her litter mates. (Since they can't talk, they might yelp, bite her back and walk away...in that order.)

It is very simple communication. Ouch, no...I won't play with you.

Hope that helps!

We tried the "ouch" and yelping but it didn't phase him at all. He just looked at us for a second and went back to doing his thing. I've never heard of the butter thing. I wonder if there is too much or too loud "ouch", "stop", "down" that stirs him more. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
We tried the "ouch" and yelping but it didn't phase him at all. He just looked at us for a second and went back to doing his thing. I've never heard of the butter thing. I wonder if there is too much or too loud "ouch", "stop", "down" that stirs him more. Thanks for the info!
Okay, it is that split second you have to react with the chew toy or get up and walk away.

The "walk-away" is telling him, "I won't be your chew toy."

Let us know what happens

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,693,433 times
It seems to me that you might need to re-direct his energies, especially right before bedtime. Long evening walks or taking him outside in the yard throwing a ball, sticks, chewtoy, etc, over and over, will wear him out for bedtime.

We had a herd dog puppy we were training, and one of the ways to train him to herd in a specific direction was a two-foot pole on a 4-foot rope tied to one of his favorite chew toys. It was my job every evening to come home from work and take him out for an hour or so, teaching him the directional words ("Take-em-out" and "Way-to-me") by whirling the toy around me (holding the pole) in opposite directions. I kept repeating the words, and would let him catch and chew the toy for a few seconds every 4th, 5th, or 6th revolution (I'd vary the times he could catch it).. This had the added benefit of wearing him out for the evening! Even if a cocker isn't a herd dog, you can still wear him out by doing this. You give him little snacks after every time he catches it.

Our neighbors thought we were crazy, but a year later he has settled down to be quite a good herd dog, who knows his directional commands.

Last edited by SCGranny; 01-30-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM

795 posts, read 4,539,739 times
Bellankin -- Ahh. The memories you bring back. 15 years ago I had a wicked little beast of a puppy who did exactly as you describe with the additions of biting my ears, nose, tops of feet, backs of ankles, and, on one memorable occasion, the meaty part of my upper arm. I remember the torture so clearly.

We tried the NO method, the OUCH method, the YELP LIKE A LITTERMATE method, the SHAKE A CAN OF PENNIES IN HIS FACE method, and the SHOOT HIM WITH A WATER BOTTLE method -- all of which I'm sure you've heard of. He laughed in the face of these attempts at discipline... and bit harder next time.

In the end, we were most successful when we redirected him to a toy every single time he bit, which was many, many times. When, in the fits of frenzies he wouldn't redirect, we would put him in doggy timeouts.

Neutering at approximately seven months was the real trick, though. After that, he settled down into the sweetheart that he was been (mostly) since.

Also, professional dog training when he was a little older really helped us to learn how to manage his dominant personality.

Don't know if this helps -- but you have my sympathies for sure. They can certainly put those sharp little needle teeth to naughty use...

Oh, haha! I just remembered something. I once bit him back when he bit me (on the leg -- tit for tat). It didn't make him stop biting, but it sure did make him pause and reconsider in that moment.

Last edited by barndog; 01-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: just thought of something

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,781 times
When I was having the same problem with one of my Siberians, our trainer gave me some advice that worked very well. My pup would try to chomp on my hands and sleeves all the time. When she bit me, the trainer told me to stick my thumb in the gummy part (I don't know what it's really called) on the outside of her mouth behind her teeth . It doesn't hurt the dog (or you) at all, but it annoys the dog and once she realized that this annoying sensation is what she'd get as her "reward" for biting, she stopped chewing on me. I did it consistently for two days and that's all it took.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:
Hello. I thought I'd reach out and get some feedback from a larger population rather than just asking a handful of people I know. I have a cocker spaniel who is just about 4 months old and at times he tends to want to bite rather than "soft bite" because of the teething. Some people have said to grab him by the neck and be stern with him but quite honestly, I don't like it. I don't want him to develop any fear of us. I try to keep him preoccupied and throw random toys around to play fetch. I also found that ice cubes help a lot. We've picked up various teething and chewing toys, which he plays with but sometimes he seems riled up and there's no way of calming him down. A hand, foot or leg seem to interest him more than a toy. I won't use treats to get him to stop because we associate treats with good behavior. We've also tried the "ignore" method and turn our back on him but he just persists. It's easier for hubby and I since we're adults but my 10 year old can't "defend" herself. Commands like "stop", "down", "drop" just don't work when he's in "crazy mode" (I mean that in a cute and an endearing way). It sometimes happens daily but usually towards the night time. Aside from behavior classes, what can anyone recommend outside of what I am already doing? Or maybe correct what I'm doing? I have never owned a dog before and hubby hasn't owned a dog since..well, a long time.
I took my dog to petco...free classes. Puppy kindergarten was first one, .They have a whole series, advance as they go. Free here, not sure where you are. Really learned a few nice tricks, go now....don't wait also take your dog weekly to a petco, or anywhere they allow you to take your pets inside, wonderful socializing.
For your son, have him take over the feeding and the walking. Make him put the puppy through it's paces. Set, Stay, commands. The pup will learn that your son is in control of him. That may help w/ the jumping and roughhousing w/ your son. You have to teach a dog that he isn't the leader, that he is last. Walk thru all doorways before him. Make him sit, before going outside. He needs to understand that whatever he does is a priviledge granted by you, your son, your hubby. This from a professional dog trainer that my daughter hired when her st. bernard was little. You (all of you) have to be boss. Also, don't forget the yelping, your son can use that too. Hopefully some of these suggestions help. I agree, no hitting. I used to roll up a little news flyer, very small paper. It is absolutely nothing , but I swatted my dog once on behind....in 16 years I never had to swat him again, if it got to that point, I only had to start rolling up the paper, he totally was afraid of the action of the paper....I do not believe in hitting dogs or children. Good luck

Thank you!
My 4 yr old bulldog did that at about 3-4 mths old. I thought I'd never get her to stop. I watched Victoria on Animal planet one day. Her suggestion worked for me right away. When your dog nips, You yelp (sharp sound) really, really loudly. It only took a few times for my dog too stop. That is what a puppy's kennel mates do if one bites too hard...They automatically stop. See if that doesn't work. Also, distract her w/ something to chew. My dog loved those edible chews, not the leather, it is like a nyla bone, but made out of veggies or something. They need something to chew on a few times a day, their little mouths hurt, and probably are itchy from growing just like a human baby when teething. My dog loved chewing on ice cubes, and it is bound to help the teething pain. As she catches on to not nipping, start teaching her to be soft mouth, I eventually started saying kissie, and encouraging her to be soft (baby talk)....it will work. Dogs want to please us.

Last edited by JanND; 01-30-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:
Oh, I have heard of the butter thing, they lick it off, makes them thinklick, rather than bite. I never had to do that, the shrill yelp worked for my dog.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
When Ginger was teething, we kept a bunch of toys close by and when she'd open her mouth like she was thinking it was time to chomp on us, we'd stick a toy in there. She liked softer toys when she was teething, things that had a little give to them when she bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs