Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 AM

17 posts, read 33,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
What size?

Or, not ever neutering. It's not mandatory, you know.
I live in San Antonio TX & while neutering is not mandatory, when you get your city license for your pet every year, the cost is more if your dog is not spayed or neutered. It's $5 for a dog that is fixed & $50 for one that is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas34 View Post
I live in San Antonio TX & while neutering is not mandatory, when you get your city license for your pet every year, the cost is more if your dog is not spayed or neutered. It's $5 for a dog that is fixed & $50 for one that is not.
Same in Houston and I imagine similar in most cities.

I've kept my dog intact for a variety of reasons but if I were adopting a companion I wouldn't have the slightest problem with pediatric castration/hystorectomy. If I had the option I would probably wait until the dog was physically mature, but I wouldn't bat an eye over an adoption contingent on castration/hysterectomy. An intact dog can be responsibly managed but it's like parenting; not everyone falls on the right side of the bell curve (fewer realize which side they're on) and there are canine capacities and purposes that simply do not justify the logistic, societal and behavioral risks of an intact dog.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM

398 posts, read 985,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
side note...
would love to see pics of your little schnauzer mix...i love shcnauzer faces :P
Sure, I'll upload them soon.

Quote:
Oh! That's a good point as well - I did read on having to license my pet yearly, but forgot. Thanks.

chiroptera, I appreciate your well informed suggestions and think we're on the same page. I wasn't really hinting that neutering him will solve his nipping/snapping issue, I just meant that I didn't want his sexual frustration to add to his aggressiveness if we happen to not train him properly to cut it out. As for snapping at vet, it was right after my puppy received an injection and vet played with his hands/fingers right in front of the pup... poor fella just growled & acted like he wanted to nip and backed up to me.

I think I'll wait till about 6 months of age so he can develop fully.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
I think waiting until around six months is the best way to go...and be sure to have a pre-anesthetic blood panel done, just to be on the safe side!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poised View Post
Unfortunately, that's not the case. She was spayed without my choice. They told me I had to spay her to adopt her, which is the night before I was able to take her home. So she was already spayed at 8 weeks of age and 4 pounds.
both of my dogs were speutered while still very young ... bailey spayed at 4 months and Dave neutered at 8 weeks.... not a choice I would have made myself, but that said, I do understand the shelter's reasoning behind not letting unaltered puppies go out the door for adoption. I had to wait a couple of days to bring Bailey home so they could spay her.... dave was neutered LONG before i ever even laid eyes on him when he was 10 months old. I guess they wanted the puppies to be ready to go if an adopter came through for them..... in retrospect, given what bailey has gone through over the last few months, i REALLY wish they had waited to neuter Dave until he was more mature...... it is no problem at all to wait a couple of days to bring your new puppy home......

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
An "oops" litter is a lot more than an inconvenience for the owner. There are 10,000 or so animals euthanized every day in this country. The average person (not referring to the OP) has a pretty casual attitude about how easily an "oops" can happen, even if their dog is in a fenced yard when outside. Hence the early spay/neuters by shelters. They just can't rely on people to follow through on it later, and keep their dogs away from the opposite sex in the meantime. And thus the insistence by most of us that all pets should be spayed or neutered at some point, unless they are purebred dogs belonging to responsible breeders. There are risks and benefits to health either way, I think most people being reasonable will agree to that.
Yes^^^ reps owed!

Quote:
as it should be.....

Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
.... dave was neutered LONG before i ever even laid eyes on him when he was 10 months old. I guess they wanted the puppies to be ready to go if an adopter came through for them..... in retrospect, given what bailey has gone through over the last few months, i REALLY wish they had waited to neuter Dave until he was more mature...... it is no problem at all to wait a couple of days to bring your new puppy home...........
I agree...I certainly wouldn't mind waiting a couple of days, I would rather the dog be fixed as close to physical maturity as possible. TBH, the early S/N policy at the HS here is what made me decide not to volunteer...I would have been working directly with the on-site vet for these procedures, and in my heart I couldn't justify participating in something I consider to be dangerous...I do understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't want to be part of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,981 times
Excellent advice and information!!! I wish I asked the same question here six years ago.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have always heard (from vets) that 6 months or before a female dog's first menses.
In female dogs, it's called a heat cycle. We're not all *******

Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
In female dogs, it's called a heat cycle. We're not all *******
I was thinking the same thing. Estrus and menses are distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs