Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times

Advertisements

Moose is 8 months old now and still pooping 5 or 6 times a day. Is this normal? He's a puggle/hound mix and weighs 40 pounds. Is it the food? I feed him Dog Chow twice a day (the vet said it was okay to switch to adult food) and also put a little wet food on top. Just curious. I've only had 3 dogs in my life, and all 3 were adopted when they were 3 or 4 years old. So I don't have much puppy experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Moose is 8 months old now and still pooping 5 or 6 times a day. Is this normal? He's a puggle/hound mix and weighs 40 pounds. Is it the food? I feed him Dog Chow twice a day (the vet said it was okay to switch to adult food) and also put a little wet food on top. Just curious. I've only had 3 dogs in my life, and all 3 were adopted when they were 3 or 4 years old. So I don't have much puppy experience. Thanks!
Food quality and quantity are the most likely culprits.
You might want to consider switching to something with fewer fillers as it sounds like he may not be processing a lot of what he is eating. Best to feed something that doesn't contain corn, by-products, etc.

I have a forty pound dog and I don't feed her more than 1.5 cups of high protein, grain-free dry food per day (3/4 in the AM and 3/4 in the PM). If I do give her some wet, I only give her about 1/2 cup of dry.

Keep in mind that puppies will eat and eat and eat pretty much until they burst so don't let the hungry eyes fool you

Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
While I believe food quality helps a lot of things, poop is not one of them. My PC was on Orijen when he was a puppy and pooped 4-6 times per day! That's a grainless, very high-quality food and he still went a lot. Some dogs just poop a lot. He now only goes once or twice a day and in much lower quantities!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The better quality the food, the less dogs poop. Cheap food has lots of filler the dogs bodies don't process. It's just wasting space inside a dog and has to go somewhere.

Also the amount of food you feed at each feeding AND the number of times you feed per day influences how many times a dog poops.

If you feed a dog once a day, the dog poops once a day. If you feed a dog twice a day, the dog poops twice a day.

If you are overfeeding your dog, the dog will poop more often. If you are letting the dog eat from a bowl that is filled with food all day long, the dog will poop more too.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The better quality the food, the less dogs poop. Cheap food has lots of filler the dogs bodies don't process. It's just wasting space inside a dog and has to go somewhere.

Also the amount of food you feed at each feeding AND the number of times you feed per day influences how many times a dog poops.

If you feed a dog once a day, the dog poops once a day. If you feed a dog twice a day, the dog poops twice a day.

If you are overfeeding your dog, the dog will poop more often. If you are letting the dog eat from a bowl that is filled with food all day long, the dog will poop more too.
yes to all of the above...... my experience too.....

Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely switch to a higher quality food. I feed him 1 cup of food twice a day with a little canned food on top. (We nicknamed him "Sir-Poops-A-Lot".)

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Bigun is a beagle-cocker, and he pooped like a poop factory for the first year. Now at 1.5 years, he's slowed down a bit. I think it has to do with their metabolism. Sleek bodied dogs don't carry much excess and tend to slough faster?

I wouldn't worry, unless he cannot control it.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
OP, now that everyone has given you the straight poop, we need pictures of the pup (not the poop)!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OP, now that everyone has given you the straight poop, we need pictures of the pup (not the poop)!
lol, as soon as I can get him to sit still long enough to take a decent picture, I'll post it! He is one active pup!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 AM

Here's a picture of Mr. Moose. (It was gloomy yesterday, so the flash made his eyes all scary looking.)
Attached Thumbnails
How many times a day should my 8-month-old puppy poop?-moose-012.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs