Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,474 times

Advertisements

Growing pains (Panosteitis) or Pano, is very common in large breeds. My shepherd had it until he was about 18 months. You can either give him some medicam or any anti inflammatory meds for the pain. Try to restrict any major running and jumping.

Bathing once a week isn't a problem as long as your getting all the shampoo rinsed off. We used to have dogs that came in once a week for baths at the grooming shop. Not getting all the shampoo rinsed out can also dry out the skin and make them itch. Using a vinegar rinse will get rid of the shampoo residue and help with the smell.

Last edited by dogpaw; 01-19-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
I know a couple of feed stores near me (not chains) carry Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It's probably the cheapest food that's considered really good if you don't have a Costco within your driving radius. I'm in the outskirts of suburbs though, I don't know if any stores in true farm country would carry it. Their website has a store locator page.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times
Wow - reading this I see I'm definately in the minority here. Our dogs only get bathed if they decide to roll in something nasty. Other than that...I brush them regularly and they occationally go into the pool in the summer. No soap involved. Yeah - they smell like dogs but not to the point it reaches out and slaps you

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Wow - reading this I see I'm definately in the minority here. Our dogs only get bathed if they decide to roll in something nasty. Other than that...I brush them regularly and they occationally go into the pool in the summer. No soap involved. Yeah - they smell like dogs but not to the point it reaches out and slaps you
I bathe mine frequently not because they smell, but because the pool has chlorine, so I want that off their bodies. And our ocean here isn't exactly clean! My husband breaks out if he comes anywhere near the water here (reassuring, I know!), so I want to make sure I get all that off of them when we are done. Water alone won't do the trick!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,025 times
Caesar, the big peke, 22 lbs, is white and cream color. He stays in most of the time, doesn't like
being out in the yard except to do his business. It's a fenced yard with a patio and grass. He really doesn't get dirty much, only his paws when we go for a walk. I bathe him every week or two....
I feed him Wellness Core....

Last edited by pekemom; 01-19-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I bathe mine frequently not because they smell, but because the pool has chlorine, so I want that off their bodies. And our ocean here isn't exactly clean! My husband breaks out if he comes anywhere near the water here (reassuring, I know!), so I want to make sure I get all that off of them when we are done. Water alone won't do the trick!
We stay away from natural waterways around here. I don't think there is a puddle within 50 miles that an alligator hasn't taken up residence in! When we lived in Virginia, we used to go down to a park on the Chesapeake and let them swim. Yes - after being in salt water we would rinse them but I honestly can't remember the last time I suds them up with soap!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
unless they are a breed that needs frequent bathing you can actually do more harm than good by overbathing...

bathing once weekly for most breeds strips the good natural oils and dries out the skin causing them to get dirty quicker, itchy, produce MORE dander and can cause them to smell quicker as the oil glands go into overdrive.

my first suggestion...
what are you feeding? look at the ingredients on the bag, the first ingredient should be MEAT or MEAT MEAL, byproducts are BAD, avoid byproducts at all costs, theres barly any meat in byproducts...
avoid corn, corn is a very common allergen in dogs.

grain free is best, raw is better, but generally avoid byproducts, corn and soy (soy has been linked to cancer in dogs) a better food will also save you in the long run because they will eat less and poop less.

you should quickly see a decrease in odor and dander, itchyness should decrease quickly too. and their coats will SHINE!

secondly, switch to a VERY mild dog shampoo...most petstore brands have harsh detergents that when used infrequently are fine, but with regular use dry everything out.
i love cain and able brand shampoos, its expensive i wont lie, BUT its concentrated you can add 1 squirt of shampoo ot 4 cups or water and that should be more than enough to shampoo a 50lb dog.
its all natural, ph safe and both scents are natural insect repelants.

if you dont want to spend on a good shampoo use BABY shampoo...aveno baby is great. its much milder and has moisturizers built in.

a NORMAL house dog should need a bath mabe once a month or so...every other week would be my max for a dog with a normal coat.
and spot clean between baths with baby whipes for muddy paws ect.

some breeds are oilier than others, water retrivers (like labs) and terriers have a harsher coat, always bathe these guys LESS (once a month or so), the more you bath the more oil they will produce to protect their coat.

most breeds fall in the every 2-4 week zone...

hairless breeds and poodles are 2 groups that tend to need a little more bathing...hairless breeds should be bathed once a week and clensed daily, but there one of the few groups that need cleaning that frequently and thats only because they dont have the hair to protect their skin.

my cresties are once weekly...
the parents chihuahuas and cocker spaniel, once a month.
I agree. I have a JRT and I use Pet Head By TIGI. Very mild, and all natural. It's a bit expensive, but one bottle lasts a long while.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,916,539 times
Mine get a bath once a month, timed with when they are due for their squirt of Frontline.

The only time it's more frequently than once a month is if Shermyn rolls around in something funky like possum poop, raccoon pee, or something else disgusting that he finds "wonderful." He has a thing for rolling around in smells.

Or if he ever has diarrhea--corgi butts are quite fluffy and if he gets disgusto-butt, he's going in the tub pronto.

Winnie could probably go more than one month, since she has really short hair, but I like them both on the same schedule. Plus, she's sometimes a bit of a "slobber-monkey" and needs a bath when she smells like saliva.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Beagle mix, here...barring any episodes of extreme filth collection, i.e. just normal wear and tear, we tend to bathe him every two to three months. Most resources on beagles say every six months is fine unless they get into something vile. You CAN do it more often if need be, but we find that that's not typically necessary. He's generally pretty clean, especially in winter, when his roaming outside time is pretty curtailed.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
two chis here and we only bathe once a month because of the cold weather . so I guess I definately dont overbathe LOL !!! but do I underbathe ? LOL !! they dont stink they smell pretty darn nice actually .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs