Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

The rural areas also tend to be more conservative, while the urban areas tend to be more liberal. If it's a bill regulating anything or allowing any kind of taxes, Conservatives are more likely to vote it down. So I don't think it's all about people worrying about hunting and farming. I think a lot of it is just distrust for the government.

I didn't say that anyone here said Obama would take away their guns. I meant that I'm used to people panicking about what the liberal government is going to do to them. So I usually don't get involved in the hype. I tune out the panic.

Just my opinion, though.

Ranger - I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of dogs be put down if puppy mills are found. That said, you have to consider if death is as bad as living in a puppy mill. And puppy mills are a never-ending cycle. The hope is that, eventually, if puppy mills are shut down, then there will be fewer dogs put down.

I don't think the bill is perfect, but I'm glad it passed. Something had to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM

604 posts, read 750,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
The rural areas also tend to be more conservative, while the urban areas tend to be more liberal. If it's a bill regulating anything or allowing any kind of taxes, Conservatives are more likely to vote it down. So I don't think it's all about people worrying about hunting and farming. I think a lot of it is just distrust for the government.

Just my opinion, though.
Why did all the the other tax propositions get shot down then?

6 counties voted for Obama = 500,000 voters
106 countries voted for McCain = 900,000 voters...

13 counties voted Yes (not sure of # of votes)

Pictures - County-by-county breakdown of voting on Missouri Proposition B - Kansas City Dogs | Examiner.com

I don't want to take time to count the number that voted No, but a 52%-48% vote doesnt seem like everyone knows whats going on...

Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I want a beagle! My parents say they bark too much though

Read an article that said it'd be a very bloody year for Missouri if they start finding the puppy mills, because pounds etc will be overwhelmed and forced to euthanize...
My beagle hardly ever barks. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've heard her bark in three years!

Sadly, shelters down there are already overwhelmed. That's why the majority of our dogs come from Missouri. We've even taken a few terriers because they were out of time, too.

I'm not a fan of HSUS and I don't like the idea of siding with them on anything. However, farm issues aside, I'm not going to lose much sleep if breeders are forced to treat their animals better and not keep as many. We have several beagle pups that came from puppy mills. It certainly won't break my heart to see less of that suffering.

I do worry about the slippery slope aspect, though.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
My beagle hardly ever barks. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've heard her bark in three years!

Sadly, shelters down there are already overwhelmed. That's why the majority of our dogs come from Missouri. We've even taken a few terriers because they were out of time, too.

I'm not a fan of HSUS and I don't like the idea of siding with them on anything. However, farm issues aside, I'm not going to lose much sleep if breeders are forced to treat their animals better and not keep as many. We have several beagle pups that came from puppy mills. It certainly won't break my heart to see less of that suffering.

Nebraska is on the list for next possible/strategic targets...

"Now that Ohio’s livestock industry has compromised with the Humane Society of the United States, which state might be next on HSUS’ list?
Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois and Nebraska have all been mentioned as the next possible targets"

Who is next on HSUS’ list? : Brownfield

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Nebraska is on the list for next possible/strategic targets...

"Now that Ohio’s livestock industry has compromised with the Humane Society of the United States, which state might be next on HSUS’ list?
Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois and Nebraska have all been mentioned as the next possible targets"

Who is next on HSUS’ list? : Brownfield
It's also one of the worst puppymill states.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post

yep .... i fostered a beagle fella for about 3 weeks last year.... the ONLY time he ever made a sound was when he was chasing one of the kitties around the house...... other than that, he was one of the sweetest dogs EVER.....

kingsranger.... you could check out adult beagles in rescue.... those that have been in a foster home for awhile.... the foster will know the dog's personality and propensity for barking / beagling / howling.....

Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yep .... i fostered a beagle fella for about 3 weeks last year.... the ONLY time he ever made a sound was when he was chasing one of the kitties around the house...... other than that, he was one of the sweetest dogs EVER.....

kingsranger.... you could check out adult beagles in rescue.... those that have been in a foster home for awhile.... the foster will know the dog's personality and propensity for barking / beagling / howling.....
Maybe its just puppy beagles?
We've got a neighbor, and when they let their beagle out, it wails and wails and wails-- almost funny

But my step dad used to have one that hardly ever barked, I don't knoww why they think they bark so much...

Step dad's beagle name: Bobo the wonder dog...

Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Maybe its just puppy beagles?
We've got a neighbor, and when they let their beagle out, it wails and wails and wails-- almost funny

But my step dad used to have one that hardly ever barked, I don't knoww why they think they bark so much...

Step dad's beagle name: Bobo the wonder dog...
cute name.....

don't think it is a puppy thing, so much as an individual dog thing.... which is why it would be a good idea to find one that has been living in a foster home for a while..... it's personality, quirks, likes, dislikes, all that stuff, would be known and you could make a better decision with that knowledge.....

fwiw .... neighbors 2 doors down from my house have a beagle that they leave out on their deck for long periods of time..... and he will cry / howls to be let in .... he got out of their house one evening and wound up at mine.... they were not home and did not get home until long after i had gone to bed..... so he spent the night at my house..... and not one PEEP out of him the entire time he was with me......

dogs want to be with their people ..... and are unhappy when "locked out" for long periods of time.....

Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
My sister's basset talks and whine and howls a lot sometimes, but he's good about not doing it at night.

He's a big teddy bear, though.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM

Told my parents about your guys' beagles that don't bark, but they won't listen... didnt ask about getting a previously owned/raised dog (not to make them sound like items/vehicles)

Seems like most families like puppies, and would rather raise them from being young...
We did have a dog rescued from a family who mistreated him)

But its almost as if no body wants the older ones....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs