Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,754 times

Advertisements

I was astounded at the story. The lady has a dog that was in a cage for 9 years just having puppies, sitting in her own feces, and never was let out of the cage. FOR 9 YEARS. She had the poor dog's leg amputated and is trying to show her a nice life for as long as she has. She's had her 4 years now but the poor dog looked 100 years old. Apparantly this is a typical puppy mill. I was in shock and now want to know why it happens, how they don't get caught, and how can we catch them. I would be willing to personally go on a raid and take care of as many as possible. This is the most upsetting thing I have ever heard. 9 years in a cage. My god in heaven. I feel sick to my stomach and soooooo want to do something.

They euthanize 2 million dogs a year because people don't adopt. Buying from the internet or a store is probably a puppy mill dog. Please don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:16 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,080,913 times
I agree.

Shelters/rescues do a great job overall but some do charge TOO much. It seems like some of these places would rather put the dogs to sleep rather than charge reasonable prices.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
How can someone look at a dog in a cage for 9 years? You've got to have a screw loose to even be able to do that.

Mimosa, what breed of dog was it?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,188 times
I did adoption and rescue with a group back in Jersey. The high price is due to vet bills encurred for the sick rescues...some can cost thousands due to surgery or any other critical care needed for the animal. My rescue group always had outstanding bills with the vet in the thousands. It is hard to catch up.....each dog has to be spayed and neutered, shots etc. Also rescuers have to be careful of people picking up the pets cheap for animal testing labs! No one should ever give up an animal, "Free to good home". Most end up in laboratories as test animals! Meanwhile the person who just gave the animal away is thinking the nice person who left with the pet was going to give it a loving home! This is going on more than you think!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM

The little dog was a poodle. Used for all those years for breeding. Had to have it's leg amputated as she nev er even once walked on her own. There has to be something we can do to find them and stop this. It is soooo sickening. There was a weirdo here in NJ that went for the "free to a good home" ads and collected a bunch of cats and tortured them and killed them. He is jail "HOORAH' At least they finally do something to them. I heard the Amish Country has tons of puppy mills and they don't care ab out animals.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
The little dog was a poodle. Used for all those years for breeding. Had to have it's leg amputated as she nev er even once walked on her own.
Wow, a poodle. I thought it would be one of the new "hot" breeds for some reason, a pug or something. Not that it makes much of a difference either way, but demand is a factor with these puppy mills.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
I can imagine how matted a poodle w/b with 9 years of untrimmed fur.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,245 times
Sadly, I think these puppy mill folks look at our domesticated friends as cattle or some type of livestalk..."let's reproduce em' for money." It's a way of making a living to puppy mill creeps...instead of getting out and getting a job like the rest of us do, they depend on an animal for a check.

Too often these people live out in the country and have their "cages" hidden so others can't readily see them. They know it's wrong and they do it anyway. It's all about the mighty dollar... and it's NOT about having a heart or being a moral human-being.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:05 PM

I wish we could find them. I personally would go on a raid and grab as many as I could and then worry about what to do with them later. I have to stop dwelling on this stuff, it makes me sick.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
I wish we could find them. I personally would go on a raid and grab as many as I could and then worry about what to do with them later. I have to stop dwelling on this stuff, it makes me sick.
Awareness is a good thing! What you can do is educate everyone you know. Encourage them to adopt and educate them on the horrors of puppy mills. You may also contact some of your states animal welfare groups and see what they are doing about puppy mills. You can always write your state senators and local representatives. Even a letter to the editor of your local paper would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs