Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

410 posts, read 743,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedloyd View Post
Do we want to give goverment more control over the number of animals we own?
If it means that they will be treated better, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,458 times
Default Prop B

The problem is this won't bother the unlicensed breeders they will go on doing the same as they were.We have a small dog business and take care of our dogs we are licensed by the state of Mo and have been inspected each year visit our vet often. We raise small dogs and there is no way we can continue under this new law.We collect sales for Missouri pay a license fee plus a fee for each dog we sell or give away so Missouri will lose a lot of revenue when the licensed breeders are put out of business.Bad timing for that.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
if you already treat your breeding stock in a minimally humane manner, what exactly is it in prop b that will put you out of business??

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,458 times
Default Prop B

The main problem for us is the part is the part where the dogs have to have access to the go out on the ground at all times we raise very small dogs we have them in a building with heat and air about 75 at all times.We let them out in a large pin weather permiting if they go out when it is cold they could not survive.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedloyd View Post
The problem is this won't bother the unlicensed breeders they will go on doing the same as they were.We have a small dog business and take care of our dogs we are licensed by the state of Mo and have been inspected each year visit our vet often. We raise small dogs and there is no way we can continue under this new law.We collect sales for Missouri pay a license fee plus a fee for each dog we sell or give away so Missouri will lose a lot of revenue when the licensed breeders are put out of business.Bad timing for that.
Statement From Missouri Veterinary Medical Association Against Prop B - 24thState

Cases of neglect and bad conditions have come mainly from unlicensed breeders who are not overseen by state inspection.
Passing blanket initiatives (Click to view a copy of the ballot initiative) without careful consideration of the facts and ignoring existing law is not in the best interest of the dogs we are trying to protect.

The MVMA believes the answer lies in adequate funding for more inspections and better enforcement. You can do your part by making certain your next puppy is not from a puppy mill.

Prop B isn't about animal welfare or puppy cruelty. It's about adding regulations to the pet industry that can be used as a wedge for future legislation and enforcement. Read the laws on the book. Vote No on Prop B.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM

604 posts, read 751,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
If it means that they will be treated better, yes.

They wouldn't be treated better.
Puppy Mills are illegal as is, and we can hardly fund inspectors to go to puppy breeders, and make sure they are legal, so how will we fund this?

And when/if (God knows someone might be upset about me accusing politicians of using different interpretations of the law for their advantage) it eventually becomes a law regulating the amount of animals on farms, it doesnt mean animals will be treated better at all, necessarily...

If cattle have their "ideal" amount of land, 10 acres per head (agricultural scientists have proved they can live off of 1 acre) then they get more room, farmers lose money, but it doesnt mean the cow is treated better.

If we go to free range chickens like california, it'd actually be worse treatment, because at night, we put chickens in coops, to protect them from everything that eats them...

That doesn't sound like being treated better...

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM

119 posts, read 468,019 times
Well Prop B passed. Let's hope that it does what it is suppose to do and shuts down the puppy mills and not have all the bad consequences that have been feared.

I did read that the shelters might get inudated with dogs because a lot of breeders do not think they can afford to conform to the space requirements and they might have to give up their dogs. It doesnt take effect till Nov 2, 2011 so maybe it wont be so bad.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM

604 posts, read 751,249 times
You sure it doesn't take effect in January...?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Well Prop B passed. Let's hope that it does what it is suppose to do and shuts down the puppy mills and not have all the bad consequences that have been feared.

I did read that the shelters might get inudated with dogs because a lot of breeders do not think they can afford to conform to the space requirements and they might have to give up their dogs. It doesnt take effect till Nov 2, 2011 so maybe it wont be so bad.

breeders started dumping and selling dogs a couple of months ago in anticipation of this passing.... will be interesting, and i suspect, sad, to see how the next year or so plays out...... heaven forbid the millers find homes for their retiring stock......

Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,840,806 times
I don't see how this will limit the number of animals a regular pet owner has. The bill doesn't talk about regular pet owners and more legislation would require another vote. To me this bill seems like a good thing. It just gives those who investigate breeders more power to oversee their care. Like any bill you have to be careful what bills come after it, but it's not like the leader of the HSUS is all powerful or anything.

As far as shelters being inundated with dogs, I wouldn't want to see dogs put down because of lack of homes. That said, I never understood how breeding millions of dogs yearly while millions more mutts are being put down in shelters made much sense. For the money it costs to buy and upkeep a purebred you could provide a home for possibly more than one shelter dog. A dog is a dog usually, in my opinion. The way it is now we have puppy mills cranking out puppies, people buying them, and dogs being put down by the millions in this country. That has to stop. Hopefully this bill will help.

I am not against breeding completely, but I don't like the big breeding companies that treat dogs like livestock. Hopefully this bill can stop some of that. I mean, honestly, if you're making money off of pets you should treat them well.

I'm sorry if this affects any legitimate breeders, but we have to do something to stop the puppy mills, even if it means some smaller breeders will have problems because of it.

I know the enforcement costs money, but our government wastes a lot more money on more useless things. Seems arbitrary to draw the line here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs