Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 AM

289 posts, read 249,523 times

Advertisements

You don't seem to have much of an understanding of basic Nutrition.

No My goal is not to gain muscle while losing weight were you getting that from?

Your also very unlikely to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit.

But your goal should be to hold on to as much muscle as possible while losing weight which is exactly what you won't do with very high deficit diets. you will end up just a smaller fat person than you are now.

And no you should not be encouraging everyone else to join in your madness.

The fast majority people on very low calorie diets re bound and end up fatter than before they started,.

Read this its not the most scientific but simpler to understand,

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...n-extreme-diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 08:15 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,799,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
It seems to be working wonders for me. I encourage everyone does the same if you want results. My goal is just to lose weight as I've mentioned a few times in the past. Once I'm trimmed down, I can build up on that to maintain. If you wish to build muscle while losing weight that seems to be your goal, I've already tried that approach and since muscle weighs more than fat. You end up staying or gaining weight in that approach which is not my goal yet again.
Congrats on your progress! And yes, of course you can change your approach as you go forward if you want to. Everyone is different, you do what works for you.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:35 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Ok it's really tough to keep going out for produce to juice in this pandemic. Plus I can't get around the fact I waste away so much fiber from all the veggies and fruits I'm juicing. Even though I've lost 15 lbs uptodate and I'm maintaining. I want to start incorporating the eating method of losing weight so I don't have to make so many grocery runs every other day.

I am already eating about 60 grams of protein a day. Any suggestions for the rest going forward?

Old 04-26-2020, 07:10 PM

70 posts, read 47,753 times
Default Support

OP: Way to go! I've juice fasted several times (14 - 30 days) and felt wonderful each time. When I fast, my skin glows, I have tremendous energy and feel like I'm resetting. I've never encountered negative setbacks (weight or health) by fasting - primarily vegetables. (As a biologist by education, and ballerina by hobby, I know a great deal about nutrition and metabolism - don't listen to the negative Nellies. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn't, and adjust accordingly. After a lifetime of vacillating between high protein and vegetarian lifestyles, I've decided a plant-based life works best for me.)

@RoyalMike: OP doesn't need condescension - he came here for support. Since you're so into unsolicited advice, may I recommend you learn to spell, as in the differences between to/too, your/you're, etc., as helps people take you more seriously when you're doling out helpfulness.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:54 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateCookie View Post
OP: Way to go! I've juice fasted several times (14 - 30 days) and felt wonderful each time. When I fast, my skin glows, I have tremendous energy and feel like I'm resetting. I've never encountered negative setbacks (weight or health) by fasting - primarily vegetables. (As a biologist by education, and ballerina by hobby, I know a great deal about nutrition and metabolism - don't listen to the negative Nellies. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn't, and adjust accordingly. After a lifetime of vacillating between high protein and vegetarian lifestyles, I've decided a plant-based life works best for me.)
Thanks for your support. When you say plant based diets. Do you just eat mostly salads and stuff?

Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,686,942 times
Any diet plan not relying on junk or fast food would work. I would definitely start with calorie counting so you get a rough idea of what you are eating each day. To get a basic idea of how many calories you are burning per day use an online tool (https://tdeecalculator.net/). I always just leave it as sedentary and then adjust how many calories I eat based on the actual activities I do. Jogging 2 miles is not the same as 10 miles at a quick pace.

As far as the actual diet, put some go to meals together made of things you actually like. Make sure you add in some foods you really enjoy. I would recommend staying away from the no carb diets and fasting. They are popular fads you will see touted endlessly and not really the secret to weight loss. I've never had an issue with artificial sweeteners myself, so I use them in coffee, tea, and yogurt. I have a little diet soda with my dinner. However, others consider this sacrilegious to a healthy diet.

I could tell you what I eat, but our tastes might be completely different. Lately I've been blending pinto beans and drizzling it on a plate full of vegetables, topped with meat and slices of avocado. However, I love beans with hot sauce and could eat it with every meal. I've also been really into frying either asparagus or brussel sprouts with olive oil lately. The little bit of char, salt, and oil with my vegetables is great compared to bland, steamed vegetables. I like a baked sweet potato as my main source of carbs, but you might prefer rice or quinoa. Some say to stay away from white rice, but I've seen many athletes do well on it and I've done well in the past eating several servings of white rice each day.

My evening "snack" has been Greek Yogurt, half a cup of Kashi cereal mixed in, topped with banana slices, almond slices, chia seeds, a little granola, and cinnamon. Last year I was really into steel cut oats with a bunch of fruit mixed in as a snack. When I just have to eat something and don't have time to put something together, I reach for beef jerky and cashews or fruit.

You might watch the video below to see how lax you can actually make your diet and still stay pretty lean. I don't like everything this guy eats, so I wouldn't eat exactly what he does, but it does show there is some leeway in putting together a healthy diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqXReXD_wZc&t=661s

Old 04-29-2020, 01:28 PM

962 posts, read 615,769 times
I got started with a plant-based diet by reading a massive book titled, "How Not To Die", and an app called "Dr Greger's Daily Dozen."

Old 04-30-2020, 06:05 PM

22 posts, read 31,297 times
Day 8, straight juicing still with grilled chicken 16 oz for sustainability. Feeling good, not a big change in scale, still at 260. Have allot more control now, can easily ignore delicious food.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:36 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,434,530 times
Anyone following and doing Jason Vale's Juicing guides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss