Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with me.. Well no I do, I can't seem to stick to a plan. I never seem to loose weight even long term on a diet plan.I went gluten free a while back due to some health issues and even a month in gluten free I didn't loose any weight.. Every person/story I've ever read has lose SOMETHING going gluten free. I tried juicing and after feeling like I was starving after 5 days I couldn't do it. I was getting lightheaded and weak feeling. Still even after liquids for 5 days no weight loss. I had started the gym with my sister a while back and went for two months 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hours a morning. 25 min cardio running , 15 on the bike , 15 on elliptical and then weights. Not one lb lost. We don't have any soda in the house ever, only occasional sweets . Hell the only time I ever lost weight was When I was pregnant and profusely vomiting 8 times a day. Lost 15lbs in 3 weeks.

Some of my issue is I have a 3 1/2 year old and I do find myself finishing her stuff when she doesn't or snacking in things here and there with her. We don't keep any chips, soda, ice cream or anything in the house and go shopping once every two weeks so once the cookies are gone they're gone (by cookies I mean 1 pkg. gluten sugar free ones). I feel hopeless. I'm not that badly overweight I'm 5'5 and about 148 lbs. it's more my stomach area than anything else I have the muffin top and I can't ever find pants that fit (I'm a size 12 now but they're getting tight) because it hangs over. I've resorted to just wearing my husbands shirts cause I want to hide it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Juice diets, etc are not going to work. If you feel too deprived you'll just give up. Workout at least 3 days a week. Eat a healthy diet. I recommend fruit, veg, whole grains, fat free dairy or soy, some kind of good quality protein - if meat make sure it's lean meat, fish, small amounts of almonds, walnuts, avocado. I like to count calories to track what I'm doing. What works for me is to have an afternoon and an evening snack. And when I go for an intense workout I have a snack right after that.

And write down every single thing you eat or drink.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,596 times
Loosing weight is not an easy job you have to stick to a healthy diet and proper exercise. I think swimming is good exercise to lose weight and drink more water.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Weight Watchers is the best thing I've found. I'm back on it after a year of serial binges. The 5:2 Fast Diet showed some promise for me, but it wasn't really feasible with my schedule, and I don't think it would work for someone with a 3-year-old either.

As for not losing weight while working out, well, keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat. I had a friend who lost over 20 inches after embarking on an intense program of physical exercise but NOT A SINGLE POUND. She felt great and her clothes fit better but she still weighed the same.

Gluten-free is not a guarantee of weight loss, and juicing, in my opinion, only works if you pair it with a high-protein food like a grilled chicken breast or something. I also am wary of a diet that has you remove much of the fiber and full-feeling goodness of veggies.

Since you have a kid, I assume time is an issue. Make a lot of soups - I like roasted butternut squash soup, chicken and wild rice, and buffalo and sweet potato chili. Marinate chicken breasts and freeze them, grilling or broiling them later. Make friends with your slow-cooker - there's a lot you can do with lean meat and a jar of low-calorie salsa or sauce. Roast vegetables - it makes them tasty.

I'm doing a couch to 5K program - you might want to try that. I've found it's a lot of fun and very meditative.

That's all I've got - but I empathize. Right now I've got to lose about 25 pounds to get back to my correct BMI range, and then at least 5 more after that.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
I have been on WW for 12 weeks and have lost 16 pounds. Here are some suggestions:

1. Write every morsel you put in your mouth down. Weigh or measure everything. You will be surprised how much you eat. You can then figure out what is the actual problem.
2. Stop eating outside of meals and planned snacks.
3. Stop eating white bread and baked products of all kinds. Use whole grain breads sparingly.
4. Eats lots of vegetables and some fruits. No juices if possible because it is so easy to chug the calories.
5. Eat lean protein without breading and not fried.

Here is some things I eat.

Breakfast is zero fat greek yoghurt fruit flavored with more fruit and a couple of tablespoons of granola in it. Or a bowl of chex cereal with skim milk and fruit.

Lunch is 1/2 a sandwich made with oat bread and lean meat with my favorite flavoring like mustard. Maybe a cup of homemade soup. A lot of time it is a Lean Cuisine entrée which helps me with portion control and flavor.

Dinner is two veggies and a protein. Maybe a sweet potato with salt and pepper.

Sometimes a meal will be a big salad with greens and lots of toppings like other veggies, lean protein, a hard boiled egg, a tablespoon of nuts, etc. Very little dressing.

With the protein we are eating and the filling vegetables, we are not hungry between meals but have a few things ready just in case for a snack or to drink.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
I've bed doing weight watchers since the first of the year. I am down 75 pounds.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
You can overeat on healthy foods and even get too many calories in juice fasting.

I agree to start writing down what you eat and include the calorie count.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople
Website that allows you to track for free. Just basic nutrition and exercise plans.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,365 times
First and foremost you get a food journal and write down everything you eat and at what time. Then log it into Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com or MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM and you'll see how many calories you're actually taking in everyday. I'm more than sure that you'll be surprised how much you're eating without realizing it.

Fix that first

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
First and foremost you get a food journal and write down everything you eat and at what time. Then log it into Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com or MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM and you'll see how many calories you're actually taking in everyday. I'm more than sure that you'll be surprised how much you're eating without realizing it.

Fix that first
Yes, the problem for many people is they don't think about all the bites here and there or count drinks as calories. OP said she has a child and often finishes what she left on her plate. And those calories are adding up.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 15,805 times
Default Don't stress.

You know what you should do? Drink water, no sodas or juices. Make sure you're taking vitamins. Cut your portions of food in half, and go run for fifteen minutes (at least) a day.

I ran seven miles straight, the same path for four months, and got nothing but bulky leg muscles and my fat didn't disappear at all. I never changed my exercise and my body adjusted to it. I ended up being put in a leg boot because of an injury from the strain on my body, and it took four weeks for my legs to heal. I lost all my muscle and started with fifteen-thirty minute runs or hikes a day. It worked miracles, and my body shaped up the way I wanted. What I'm trying to say is don't overdue it and make sure you change things up. Losing weight can't just fall solely on diet or solely on exercise. There has to be a connection between the two.

Any diet where you suffer, makes it uninteresting and I lose motivation. As far as diet goes, you don't need to make your self suffer, just eat less of what you already eat. Try to avoid eating out or eating frozen dishes, go to the grocery store and buy fresh ingredients.

If you need motivation, cooking for yourself is awesome (of course, buying a pair of running sneakers really inspires one to go running too), and it makes you want to cook new and interesting healthy dishes for the days that follow success. I've lost more weight and shaped my body up much more than I ever have before. I mean, I still weigh 137ibs, but I've got a lot of muscle mass. I'm also 5'5", but my body looks great though.

Try using one of those calorie tracking websites maybe? The one I use gives you rewards as you go, so it's actually pretty competitive for me. I started that and got pretty motivated. I'll drop the link below just in case. Wish you the greatest luck in your diet!

Calorie Counter | Food Nutrition Data for Healthy Eating Choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss