Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Get your blood work done and see what supplements you need - I will bet you don't need most of what you are taking. Some vitamin salesman has sold you a bill of goods.
Exactly. And FYI for Dr. Oz fans - he is a shill for people/companies that come on his show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me.. Well no I do, I can't seem to stick to a plan. I never seem to loose weight even long term on a diet plan.I went gluten free a while back due to some health issues and even a month in gluten free I didn't loose any weight.. Every person/story I've ever read has lose SOMETHING going gluten free. I tried juicing and after feeling like I was starving after 5 days I couldn't do it. I was getting lightheaded and weak feeling. Still even after liquids for 5 days no weight loss. I had started the gym with my sister a while back and went for two months 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hours a morning. 25 min cardio running , 15 on the bike , 15 on elliptical and then weights. Not one lb lost. We don't have any soda in the house ever, only occasional sweets . Hell the only time I ever lost weight was When I was pregnant and profusely vomiting 8 times a day. Lost 15lbs in 3 weeks.

Some of my issue is I have a 3 1/2 year old and I do find myself finishing her stuff when she doesn't or snacking in things here and there with her. We don't keep any chips, soda, ice cream or anything in the house and go shopping once every two weeks so once the cookies are gone they're gone (by cookies I mean 1 pkg. gluten sugar free ones). I feel hopeless. I'm not that badly overweight I'm 5'5 and about 148 lbs. it's more my stomach area than anything else I have the muffin top and I can't ever find pants that fit (I'm a size 12 now but they're getting tight) because it hangs over. I've resorted to just wearing my husbands shirts cause I want to hide it. Any suggestions?
A daily journal such as myfitnesspal.com is amazing in how it shows how every intake adds up throughout the day. Also provides the necessary motivating discipline to desist as you eventually know what an item will do to your daily intake.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
I Lost about 35 Pounds a few years back, although its gone back on, 5ft 8" now 228 Pounds, got a down to 186 pounds - I exercise 3 - 4 days a week, Eat in the range of 2500 Cals per day, - love carby food, really like a big meal - really struggle to control appetite or eat a low carb diet, my only saving is I can exercise, play sports a lot.

Like you losing weight seems to be a gigantic struggle, and incredibly difficult to lose and keep off - its just habit of eating a little too much everyday which translates into weight gain long term, while other people eat as they like, don't crave to overeat, don't exercise, work in an office and don't put a pound all year round, I think some of us are just programmed to gain weight, for others eating is not such a big deal.

I just ate less than 1200 calories everyday, sometimes less like 900 or 1000. If found when I eat 1500 or above I did not lose weight, It had to be as close to 1200 or lower, too little I had no energy, just enough to fuel me - Plenty of water, tea, coffee - and going to bed a bit hungry at times but it worked. Exercised hard 2 - 3 times a week, it speed up the weight loss but I think still would have lost the weight without the exercise, on the exercise days I ate bit more before working out.

Only other times I have lost weight were working on a construction site 11 hour days, lifting and shovelling, and training very hard by running - but weight always seems to go back to around 228 as soon as exercise stops.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I can't do restriction diets as far as types of food I can or can't eat. All I do is stay in my calorie range for the day and the weight falls off. It doesn't matter if I eat deep fried fish or broccoli to meet the calorie goal. I find it works for me because I never feel deprived.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Have you had your thyroid (tsh) checked lately?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Count calories......that is what works for me.

Personally for me, I have to find a calorie sweet spot. A calorie level.....where I will lose weight at a reasonable rate, but not go so low that I end up feeling really cranky and tired.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me.. Well no I do, I can't seem to stick to a plan. I never seem to loose weight even long term on a diet plan.I went gluten free a while back due to some health issues and even a month in gluten free I didn't loose any weight.. Every person/story I've ever read has lose SOMETHING going gluten free. I tried juicing and after feeling like I was starving after 5 days I couldn't do it. I was getting lightheaded and weak feeling. Still even after liquids for 5 days no weight loss. I had started the gym with my sister a while back and went for two months 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hours a morning. 25 min cardio running , 15 on the bike , 15 on elliptical and then weights. Not one lb lost. We don't have any soda in the house ever, only occasional sweets . Hell the only time I ever lost weight was When I was pregnant and profusely vomiting 8 times a day. Lost 15lbs in 3 weeks.

Some of my issue is I have a 3 1/2 year old and I do find myself finishing her stuff when she doesn't or snacking in things here and there with her. We don't keep any chips, soda, ice cream or anything in the house and go shopping once every two weeks so once the cookies are gone they're gone (by cookies I mean 1 pkg. gluten sugar free ones). I feel hopeless. I'm not that badly overweight I'm 5'5 and about 148 lbs. it's more my stomach area than anything else I have the muffin top and I can't ever find pants that fit (I'm a size 12 now but they're getting tight) because it hangs over. I've resorted to just wearing my husbands shirts cause I want to hide it. Any suggestions?
Get your thyroid checked.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM

145 posts, read 186,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I Lost about 35 Pounds a few years back, although its gone back on, 5ft 8" now 228 Pounds, got a down to 186 pounds - I exercise 3 - 4 days a week, Eat in the range of 2500 Cals per day, - love carby food, really like a big meal - really struggle to control appetite or eat a low carb diet, my only saving is I can exercise, play sports a lot.

Like you losing weight seems to be a gigantic struggle, and incredibly difficult to lose and keep off - its just habit of eating a little too much everyday which translates into weight gain long term, while other people eat as they like, don't crave to overeat, don't exercise, work in an office and don't put a pound all year round, I think some of us are just programmed to gain weight, for others eating is not such a big deal.

I just ate less than 1200 calories everyday, sometimes less like 900 or 1000. If found when I eat 1500 or above I did not lose weight, It had to be as close to 1200 or lower, too little I had no energy, just enough to fuel me - Plenty of water, tea, coffee - and going to bed a bit hungry at times but it worked. Exercised hard 2 - 3 times a week, it speed up the weight loss but I think still would have lost the weight without the exercise, on the exercise days I ate bit more before working out.

Only other times I have lost weight were working on a construction site 11 hour days, lifting and shovelling, and training very hard by running - but weight always seems to go back to around 228 as soon as exercise stops.
Thanks for the honesty.

I think most people have that problem, and that is why diets don't work long-term.

I find that now, being older, it is far easier to cut back on what I eat instead of going out and pounding the pavement- which frankly hurts.

I have learned to skip breakfast every day.

It is NOT a part of my routine at all.

I do something else in the morning, something productive, instead of eating.

Now, if it is summer and I am active and feel OK, I might eat something at 10 am in the morning. For the rest of the day, I eat what I like. My big meal is usually dinner, though I might snack through it.

In the winter, if I feel myself gaining weight, I will push the first day's meal back to noon or later.

Right now it's 9 am and I feel a little overweight, so I will not eat until noon. A lot of other projects to do.

After a few days of this, I feel myself getting back to the right weight and all is right with the world.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exactly. And FYI for Dr. Oz fans - he is a shill for people/companies that come on his show.
I thought that guy was ok when he first published the YOU book. But not too long ago I caught a few minutes of his show. One day it was something about lipstick, and how the smears can reveal things about your health. Next time I saw a few minutes it was all about "chakra".

Dr Oz has gone full potato. I won't be tuning in again.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,578 times
My wife and friends have been doing the Zeal for Life Challenge. They have seen really good results in weight management and the overall wellness of everyday life its something yall should take a peak at and see what yall think. bbogges.zealforlife.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss