Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
I want you to tell me everything you ate today and then I will tell you why you are 20 pounds over your ideal weight.
Why are you the expert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why are you the expert?
They are going to try to sell you something or they possess an agenda or buying into the latest fad. Your choice.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
I seem to be on a pretty stubborn plateau, and I think its more about snacking then anything else...in short, poor self-control. And maybe my metabolism is really haywire, too...running at a lower rate so I quickly put on weight.

Oddly enough I seem to have developed a 'tolerance' to exercise...swimming and longer-distance cycling don't drop me the way they used to. I used to count on maybe a few days of intensive exercise to lose weight but this doesn't work the way it used to...

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
They are going to try to sell you something or they possess an agenda or buying into the latest fad. Your choice.
Sometimes though they are just people who lost weight and now deem themselves experts.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I seem to be on a pretty stubborn plateau, and I think its more about snacking then anything else...in short, poor self-control. And maybe my metabolism is really haywire, too...running at a lower rate so I quickly put on weight.

Oddly enough I seem to have developed a 'tolerance' to exercise...swimming and longer-distance cycling don't drop me the way they used to. I used to count on maybe a few days of intensive exercise to lose weight but this doesn't work the way it used to...
It cannot be stressed enough that you cannot outrun a bad diet or a diet of too many calories. Clean up your diet and like I posted before, write everything down that you eat. Everything.
Incorporate weight training into your work out. Your metabolism is probably just fine. That is a convenient excuse for people who do not want to make the proper sacrifices to lose weight. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Sometimes though they are just people who lost weight and now deem themselves experts.
True. Like the holiday inn express commercials of a few years ago. "Are you an expert?"

"No, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night."

Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Default Lose Weight

Is it only some permutation and combination of food and exercise which helps in losing the weight? Check the same on marketinto.com which really can help a person to know as exactly what makes men and women to lose weight.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me.. Well no I do, I can't seem to stick to a plan. I never seem to loose weight even long term on a diet plan.I went gluten free a while back due to some health issues and even a month in gluten free I didn't loose any weight.. Every person/story I've ever read has lose SOMETHING going gluten free. I tried juicing and after feeling like I was starving after 5 days I couldn't do it. I was getting lightheaded and weak feeling. Still even after liquids for 5 days no weight loss. I had started the gym with my sister a while back and went for two months 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hours a morning. 25 min cardio running , 15 on the bike , 15 on elliptical and then weights. Not one lb lost. We don't have any soda in the house ever, only occasional sweets . Hell the only time I ever lost weight was When I was pregnant and profusely vomiting 8 times a day. Lost 15lbs in 3 weeks.

Some of my issue is I have a 3 1/2 year old and I do find myself finishing her stuff when she doesn't or snacking in things here and there with her. We don't keep any chips, soda, ice cream or anything in the house and go shopping once every two weeks so once the cookies are gone they're gone (by cookies I mean 1 pkg. gluten sugar free ones). I feel hopeless. I'm not that badly overweight I'm 5'5 and about 148 lbs. it's more my stomach area than anything else I have the muffin top and I can't ever find pants that fit (I'm a size 12 now but they're getting tight) because it hangs over. I've resorted to just wearing my husbands shirts cause I want to hide it. Any suggestions?
Gluten-free is not a weight-loss diet.

1. Stop finishing off your child's meals.
2. Cut way back on carbs. Carbs are the culprit: they cause the system to release more insulin, which causes fat retention.
3. Get the book, "Protein Power" (see Amazon), written by a husband-wife MD team. It explains in great detail how the hormonal system works in reaction to food, and outlines a very effective low-carb diet. On this diet, you'll lose weight fast enough (the regular exercise program/weight lifting is key) that the momentum of your weight loss will encourage you to stay on the diet. When you reach your goal, you gradually add carbs back in, and remain on a modified form of the diet the rest of your life, for a healthy, lean body. With only 20 lbs. to lose, you can do their more gradual plan. If you follow their exercise recommendations and build lean muscle mass, you'll lose weight more effectively, and you'll look better than you ever have when you're done. This type of diet is being recommended by more and more doctors, especially endocrinologists, today.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I lost 30 lb by ditching ALL sugars except 1 coke a month, fast food once a month, and keeping away from too many oils.

The most important part is to walk. Literally. Walk 2-3 miles a day. That's it. Now it takes a year to do that so you have to be PATIENT! And you have to be CONSISTENT! It's an hour of walking a day. You can find time to do it. Do it with your kid. That's a great way to ensure your kids don't get fat either.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
^
indeed, I have returned to walking now that the days grow short. I take a walk around sunset or later, around 9, and it is for about an hour.

Weight is still more or less around 185, but I did drop to 180 or so last week, possibly due to a longish bike ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss