Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

^
indeed, I have returned to walking now that the days grow short. I take a walk around sunset or later, around 9, and it is for about an hour.

Weight is still more or less around 185, but I did drop to 180 or so last week, possibly due to a longish bike ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
indeed, I have returned to walking now that the days grow short. I take a walk around sunset or later, around 9, and it is for about an hour.

Weight is still more or less around 185, but I did drop to 180 or so last week, possibly due to a longish bike ride.
If you lost weight it was due to consuming less calories. A long bike ride will burn some calories, but a pound equals 3500 calories, so it is doubtful your bike ride is responsible.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 AM

9 posts, read 11,429 times
I heard that 5 hours before you sleep you should take your dinner already for metabolism is slow during night time as you sleep. Try eating foods that are rich in fiber and less on carbohydrates.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you lost weight it was due to consuming less calories. A long bike ride will burn some calories, but a pound equals 3500 calories, so it is doubtful your bike ride is responsible.

I agree. I wish people would understand that it's roughly 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet...you have to control your caloric intake and once you do that and include daily exercise...long bike rides do not count....you'll drop the pounds and inches.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I don't think exercise burns calories enough to matter, but it does increase muscle and the reason why men loose weight more easily than women is because they have more muscle mass. So it helps by increasing muscles and by speeding up the metabolism.

It also may make a person sweat more, which is just water weight, something that is put back on quickly.

The problem with exercise is that it often increases appetite, which is dangerous.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
No diet is going to get you where you want to be and keep you there. You have to change your lifestyle. No one ever got thin by going to the gym. You do that to increase your cardio and strength. The truth is that it is 80% diet and 20% exercise so you have to start with diet.

Here is an easy start. Stop drinking calories at least 3 days a week. That should be fairly easy and it is an easy start. You would be surprised how many calories people drink during a week.

Too easy, OK give up dairy 3 days a week also.

That is a start.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 11,429 times
Yes agree that swimming and drinking lots of water instead of eating too much can help lose weight. I also suggest running and jogging atleast an hour a day.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,328 times
I think once you get into a good workout routine, it helps motivate you to adjust your diet. When you put in in all that effort of working out, you're more inclined not to waste it.

It helps to see what others go through and I found this video inspirational.

http://choicefitnessexercise.com/a-w...ransformation/

Hope this helps.

C

Last edited by cfarm; 10-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: url

Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
As I posted in another thread:

Counting Calories is what worked for me.

There are numerous web sites where you can calculate how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight, lose 1 pound per week, or lose 2 pounds per week. The calculators also make allowances depending on your level of exercise, or no exercise.

Once you know your required caloric intake, it's simply a matter of choice. You will learn how to make smart decisions in your food choices, and ultimately learn how to eat healthy and balanced meals. There are also numerous sites that give calorie counts for food, and you will learn how to read food labels. You'll learn that a bad decision to eat junk or fast food will chew up your daily calories real fast.

Sure at first it's a PIA, but after awhile you will memorize a lot of your daily food calories, like a banana is 150 calories, an apple is 80 calories, etc. You don't have to be 100% spot on with every item of food, but as long as you are honest and try to get as close as possible, you'll do fine.

I carried a small daily pocket log book with me every day, and recorded everything I ate and drank; seeing the numbers add up in front of you will wake you up fast, and you will learn to stay within your daily limit. My doctor once asked me how I managed to lose over 50Lbs, and I showed him my little log book, and told him "It keeps me honest".

The ultimate goal of counting calories is to learn healthy eating and portion control. Once you master that, it will be easier to maintain your weight.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 AM

54 posts, read 105,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me.. Well no I do, I can't seem to stick to a plan. I never seem to loose weight even long term on a diet plan.I went gluten free a while back due to some health issues and even a month in gluten free I didn't loose any weight.. Every person/story I've ever read has lose SOMETHING going gluten free. I tried juicing and after feeling like I was starving after 5 days I couldn't do it. I was getting lightheaded and weak feeling. Still even after liquids for 5 days no weight loss. I had started the gym with my sister a while back and went for two months 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hours a morning. 25 min cardio running , 15 on the bike , 15 on elliptical and then weights. Not one lb lost. We don't have any soda in the house ever, only occasional sweets . Hell the only time I ever lost weight was When I was pregnant and profusely vomiting 8 times a day. Lost 15lbs in 3 weeks.

Some of my issue is I have a 3 1/2 year old and I do find myself finishing her stuff when she doesn't or snacking in things here and there with her. We don't keep any chips, soda, ice cream or anything in the house and go shopping once every two weeks so once the cookies are gone they're gone (by cookies I mean 1 pkg. gluten sugar free ones). I feel hopeless. I'm not that badly overweight I'm 5'5 and about 148 lbs. it's more my stomach area than anything else I have the muffin top and I can't ever find pants that fit (I'm a size 12 now but they're getting tight) because it hangs over. I've resorted to just wearing my husbands shirts cause I want to hide it. Any suggestions?
Learn Homeopatic cures for weight. I am losing a pound a day the easy way. Swear! I eat a diet (as much as I desire) of 90% veggies & fruit, and 10% lean meats (not processed meats, deli). You actually burn more calories eating brocolli than the calories you intake. Many such veggies called negative fat burners are there.

Incorporate cabbage into every meal you can. Breakfast:I take a small amount of chopped veggies (about 3-4 cups): cabbage, green onions, bell pepper, Anaheim pepper, celery. 3-4 tablespoons of olive/or coconut oil in a pan. 1 shredded italian hot sausage/or 2 strips chopped bacon bits. Set those to the fire until soften up. Throw in zesty spices: Pinch of basil, parsley, garlic, or 2-3 tablespoons mexican tomato style dip. Add 2-3 eggs scrambled over the top. LUNCH: Cabbage slice (1"), cut tomatoes, 1/2 avacado, green onions, brocolli, etc. with a few thin crackers. Dressing: 2 tablespoons pesto, 2 tablespoon fat free Ranch dressing, mixed. try going salt free, but enjoy black pepper. Your kitchen is full of spices & herbs & foods that make you lose weight.

Switch over to coconut oil and occassional olive oil for cooking. Reseach this great oil. I use it, I notice no taste. I notice it gets foods hotter. You can put 2 tablespoons into your morning coffee. This stuff is like the best for your body, right up there with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.

Here are some hints for you I have gathered & use.

1.Heat 1 glass of water 1 minute in microwave (do in this order), then add 4 table spoons of Lemon juice, and 2 table spoons of honey. Stir well, Drink this 1st thing in the morning, and once in the afternoon.

2.Drink 1 glass of water with 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) before each meal.

3.Eat a cabbage salad for lunch each day. Here is a great dressing! 2 heaping spoons pesto from a jar with the olive oil in it & two heaping spoons of fat free Ranch Dressing, mix well & put over the top.

4.IF you want to lose the belly fat, try garcinia cambogia. I started this a few weeks ago to help lose that roll around the tummy line. Seems the upper fat and butt & leg fat are history, so time to get serious!! It seems to be working.

Here are some tips to have you losing a pound a day like I am.

Exercise: I brisk walk after every meal for a total of 2 miles a day. They say if you exercise before the meal it forces the body to eat its own fat. A butt on a bicycle seat doesn't burn its fat. lol So walk.

I am not doing all of these, but some of these!! Research
=================BURN FAT=================
Strawnerries
Oranges
Red Bell Pepper (red is best)
Kiwi fruit
Mango
Papaya
Cantaloupe
===Foods comtain Conjugate Linoleic acid (CLA) & Omega 6 (6% reduction in belly fats===
Safflower oil
Avacado
Wheat germ
Pumpkin seeds
==(Catechins in tea reduce adominal fats==
white**(better) & green teas
==Curcumin a polyphenol prevents weight gain-Prevents plaque in arterys)==
Turmeric
==Turn on insuline receptors-helps metabolizing sugar-burns sugar==
Cinnamon
==Break down cholesterol==
Garlic
Onion
==weight loss
Grapefruits
Fruits & vegetables high in vitamin C like Oranges, lemons & pineapples liquefy (or burn off) body fat so the fat can be easily flushed out of your body. 3 Top Fat-Burn Foods: Rasberry/blueberrys - Raw Almonds - Avacados shinks belly fat.
====================
Fat Burner Recipe
Coffee beans-Just drink coffee 1/2hr. before exercise
Chili peppers flakes or Cayenne to spice foods
Green tea-Afternoon drink 3 day
Cinnamon with foods or tea
==========================
THREE WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLIMENTS TAKEN TOGETHER IS OK
(Green Coffee Bean Extract)-(CLA Tunalin Safflower oil)- (Green tea Apple cider Vinegar-garcinia cambogia)
========
The 11 best foods to eat to lose weight fast….
1. Raw Fruits & Vegetables - Red Apples - red wine or grapes
A. Celery
B. Cucumber To remove uric acid from kidneys to speed fat burn
C. Asparagus break down fats
D. Beef
E. Cabbage inhibits sugar to fat. breaks fat stored in stomach & love handle
F. Olive oil as primmary source of diet fats
G. Apples for snacks
H. Oatmeal
I. Lean Turkey
Dairy products or foods high in calcium like Low-fat yogurt, cheese, & milk breakdown fat cells faster and in a recent study…
Any kind of raw nuts. Eat more fish like Salmon, Tuna, and Sardines to make your body more sensitive to a fat-burning hormone called Leptin (Leptin means "thin" in Greek).
Add spices to your foods like chili peppers, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers or hot mustard to increase your fat burning metabolism by 8-to-20% for up to 3 hours after eating spices.
Garlic is a strong diuretic that can help you flush out excess water weight.
Foods That Speed Up Your Metabolism - Negative calorie Foods
Foods that help burn more fat than consumed.
Broccolli: 100 grams = 25 calories/ NUT it takes 80 calories to digest it, so you lose 55 calories.
Asparagus
Beet root
Cabbage
Carrot
Caulflower
Celery
Chickery
Chilli
Cucumber
Garlic
Green beans
Onions
Radish
Spinach
Turnip
Zucinni
================
Fat Flush Water - Dr. Oz
Water
Cucumber
Tangerine
Grape Fruit
Spearmint (2) leaves
Slice it all, put in picture with water in refer.
======== =
3. Green Tea
Studies show you can burn 35-to-43% more fat during the day when you drink 3-to-5 cups of green tea.

Here is a good tip for moms.

Cellulite Remover
1 cup water
Tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix & apply to skin. Leave 10 minutes, then shower off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss