Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times

Advertisements

That's quite a minefield of political correctness some of you surround yourselves with. Personally, I appreciate compliments about my weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
I notice that skinny can either have a negative or positive or neutral connotation, but fat seems almost always negatively used (ie. I have almost never heard anyone use fat in a positive way, at least on this continent!).

I still remember when I was a kid in grade school, at one time I got scolded by a teacher once for saying someone was fat but didn't get the same response when I said someone was skinny (even when I tried to use either without malicious intent -- as a kid, for instance, saying "Which one is Joe?" "The fat boy or the skinny boy?"). But hey, I learned about language usage and the hidden meanings people attach to words that day.

Either way though, I usually don't really care to comment on someone's body mass in general.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
That's quite a minefield of political correctness some of you surround yourselves with.

it's called good manners

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
it's called good manners
Thank you Emily Post!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Thank you Emily Post!

you're welcome!!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,118 times
If you are well built with six pack and lean and you get a 'You look skinny' comment? That is negative or positive?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
If you are well built with six pack and lean and you get a 'You look skinny' comment? That is negative or positive?
It's pretty obvious that if you look good then it's meant as a compliment...

Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
I used to have people comment on how skinny I was as a form of meaness. People would watch every bite I took, and comment---no wonder you're so skinny! Look at how little you eat. Then they would heap more and more food on my plate, oh, you need more food, you're sooooooo skinny.

What bugged me most was they would hold up their thumb and forefinger in a tiny circle and say oh, look at your poor little matchstick arms! BTW, I was NOT skinny---I was 5"5'and 120 lb,. slender, not "skinny".

How I got back was by giving it back. Oh, look how fat you are! No wonder you're so fat, look at all you eat! Then hold both arms open round and say, oh, look at your big, big butt! When told I was being rude, I said oh, how 'bout that?

That was decades ago, no one calls me skinny now

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
Somebody once told me I look like something out of Belsen. Extremely rude of them, and we're not allowed to go around saying "You're looking fat today" are we. Double standards.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I would never tell anyone they looked skinny no matter what. To me, skinny means "too thin." Also, as one poster pointed out, you never know if someone has a disease and are just plain ill. I almost died of bacterial dysentery on a medical mission in a very poor country, spent three days in the capital crawling to the bathroom with a blood pressure of 80/40 despite constant fluids. Got back to the group when able (most of the group girls in their 20s) and one said, "At least you lost some weight." Thanks a bunch.
A couple of morbidly obese co-workers of mine lost a lot of weight in the year where I didn't see them. One did Weight Watchers and one had gastric bypass. The way I acknowledged the huge change was to say, "You're looking well, I haven't seen you in so long," and they were both eager to tell me how they came to be looking well.
I agree that commenting on anyone's weight, especially woman to woman, is rude. It's just too loaded. If you think someone looks good, maybe compliment them on their haircut or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss