Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

You're not even ON a paleo/primal diet. Why do you keep proclaiming the virtues of something you choose not to follow yourself?

*I* don't follow the paleo diet, because I have no use for it. It isn't any more significant or worthwhile than the grapefruit diet. Or the twinkie diet. Or the South Beach diet, or the no-miso, no-eggplant diet.

Show me evidence that the paleo diet does anything *better* than anything else, and you might have something ... worthwhile ... to offer the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're not even ON a paleo/primal diet.
I do Primal. Not original Paleo. You are insane.

Quote:
*I* don't follow the paleo diet
No one cares.

Quote:
Show me evidence that the paleo diet does anything *better* than anything else, and you might have something ... worthwhile ... to offer the forum.
I already gave my experience. Worked better for ME and others in this thread than ANYTHING else you have suggested. But you choose to ignore that. You argue with anyone that posts positive results. Give it up.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I do Primal. Not original Paleo. You are insane.

No one cares.

I already gave my experience. Worked better for ME and others in this thread than ANYTHING else you have suggested. But you choose to ignore that. You argue with anyone that posts positive results. Give it up.
I agree, d2mini. I'm only posting my experience and for me, paleo is better than anything else I've ever done. I really don't get why some people have such a defensive response to that. I think paleo is the best way to go, but if others are happy with what they are doing, that's fine with me.

I really just don't understand why non-paleo followers are so adamant about their way being better for EVERYONE.

I understand that a lot of the things about a paleo or primal lifestyle go against what we've all been taught and that is hard to believe. It was hard for me to believe too! I've followed conventional wisdom my entire life (as I've said, I've been dieting since age 7 and I'm 30 now). If conventional wisdom worked for me, I would be thin, happy, and healthy already. I has not worked for me, and based on America's climbing obesity stats, it isn't working for a lot of people.

Why is it so offensive to some that a different approach could work?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I think the non Paleo people, including myself, think a lot of the diet is bunk. The no grains and no dairy is just ridiculous. And until you can present some peer reviewed data otherwise I will stand by my ridiculous statement. Now that said, I do not begrudge anyone's diet if it works for them. You have to stick with what you know works. But polishing a turd and calling it a diamond is never gonna fly.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think the non Paleo people, including myself, think a lot of the diet is bunk. The no grains and no dairy is just ridiculous. And until you can present some peer reviewed data otherwise I will stand by my ridiculous statement. Now that said, I do not begrudge anyone's diet if it works for them. You have to stick with what you know works. But polishing a turd and calling it a diamond is never gonna fly.
Especially when you say "this diamond is the best" and then pick up a different piece of turd and proclaim, "but I don't like the taste of -that- diamond, so I alter it slightly and pick -this- one instead."

If Paleo was the best, everyone who tried it would be successful, and everyone would be instructed to do it, and no one would be saying "well, I want to eat grains and dairy, and Paleo doesn't allow either of those things. So I'll just, y'know, NOT eat Paleo at all, and eat what I want, and hey check this out, there's some guy on the internet who tells everyone that everything I love to eat, is the best diet in the world! It's healthy, see? He's promoting it."

Okay, so it's not Paleo. It's Paleo/Primal. I'm not sure why the Paleo is even included in the phrase "Paleo/Primal" because Paleo is very explicitely NOT grain, and NOT dairy. If you're eating dairy, or grain, or both, then there's no Paleo in your diet, period. Eating red meat and vegetables does not make you a Paleo eater. It makes you an omnivore. "Primal" is a catch phrase. It's a sales pitch. It's not a healthy way to eat. It's not even an unhealthy way to eat. It's an internet meme, invented by internet gurus who found that they could write a few cohesive sentences about food and convince people to pay for it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Well, when I have some serious time (maybe a boring day at work) I will search google for links to the peer-reviewed studies that promote what I am following. The books I've read have long bibliographies that cite tons of peer reviewed studies. I don't know if these studies are available on the internet and if I can post links to them, but I will look into that.

I understand the thinking that paleo/primal is just the newest fad. That's what I thought when I first heard about it and I was extremely skeptical. I think it is natural to be skeptical of something that doesn't agree with most of what is being talked about.

The reason I think more people are not on a paleo diet is that there is not that much money to be made promoting it. No pharma company would make money if people were healthy. Diabetes medications alone are a billion dollar industry. Doctors do not learn about paleo diets in medical school and if even one patient had an adverse effect by following the paleo lifestyle on a doctor's recommendation, they would sue their doctor for recommending it. There is a huge risk involved whenever a doctor recommends something that is not the status quo.

Eventually, I think the paleo lifestyle is only going to expand because more people will try it out of desperation (like I did) and instead of the usual disappointment, will find that it does work and it has improved their lives.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:

I'm lost you say it's a load of bunk yet if it works for them then that's all well and good.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm lost you say it's a load of bunk yet if it works for them then that's all well and good.
What i am saying is that I do not believe this way of eating is the end all be all that people proclaim it is. I do not like any diet that restricts food groups. That is usually a recipe for failure, especially when the food groups are dairy and whole grains.
Now if it works for you that is fine. I just do not believe it is the healthiest way to go.
I am still waiting on that peer reviewed data on it. And by peer reviewed I do not mean proponents of this way of eating. I want to see an unbiased report and also the statistics on what the average time span people spend following this program.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
I agree with you.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I am in love with coconut oil... if you haven't tried it, do it!
I have only tried it as a hair treatment. Oh and the earth balance coconut version. I'll have to try it once I cycle through a few more of my oils in the pantry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss