Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'll go ahead and say now that I agree with Paleo Works.

I've been following a paleo type diet since the beginning of the year and I've had good results. I've read several books and studies in the past couple of months and what I've learned has been shocking, to say the least. I really encourage anyone that is particularly anti-paleo to read a few books and look into their references if you don't believe that the paleo diet is healthy.

I have not cut out dairy completely, but I'm sticking to organic dairy at the very least and raw when I can get it. For meats I only eat truly grass fed meats and wild caught fish. I get uncured bacon (nitrate free), and I use the fat to make other things (such as mayonnaise). I use coconut oil, animal fat or butter for cooking. I haven't had a grain since November, 2011.

For me, the results have been pretty great. My skin is clear for the first time in my entire life. I am less tired and no longer need anti-depressants. I'm losing weight, despite eating a much higher fat diet and exercising much less. I love having time to do things I enjoy instead of pounding out miles on a treadmill or elliptical, which is what I used to do (all the while I was still gaining weight anyway). Oh, and I'm never hungry, which is the best part of all. I put more thought into the types of food that I eat, but I spend much less time actually obsessing about food and anticipating my next meal or snack. That alone has been life changing for me.

So, I guess all I can say is that I wish people who are very anti-Paleo would read up on it more and get more of the facts. Also, consider that many medical studies are sponsored by big pharma companies; they have zero incentive to publish studies that show that ailments could be corrected by a change in diet. They also have a great incentive to tell you that drugs will fix your problems. The grain and big food companies don't have altruistic motivations either. Even doctors and surgeons would be out of business if everyone were healthy. So, I guess I take a lot of that stuff with a grain of (sea) salt. Personally, I am not selling anything. I won't make a dime if everyone eats a paleo diet. I encourage it because it has worked for me.
What is the financial cost of eating this way? Do you live alone or do you feed a family? Can someone do this on a budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is the financial cost of eating this way? Do you live alone or do you feed a family? Can someone do this on a budget?
I definitely think it can be done on a budget. In my case it is just me and my husband. One thing that was a huge saver was doing a "cow share" with a few friends. The group of us bought 1/4 of a cow from a local farmer who raises cows that are exclusively grass fed (some "grass fed" beef is actually fed grains initially to fatten them). That cow share got us a TON of meat... I think we ended up with 16 pounds of ground beef (they were individually packed into 1 lb. packages), a lot of steaks, and a couple huge roasts. We did it at least 6 months ago and still have some of the ground beef left.

The other thing that helps is that we found a fruit and vegetable market near us that is just incredibly inexpensive. Even buying all organic stuff it is hard to spend more than $20 in the place (that would be at least 5 large grocery bags of stuff). In the summer I plan to shop at the farmer's markets a lot more than I did last year.

I also do some of my food shopping online, as odd as that may seem. I get raw macadamia nuts from Puritan's Pride and I bought an entire gallon of coconut oil from somewhere (I'll look it up if you're interested).

I think the way to save is just to buy things in larger quantities. We buy whole slabs of bacon instead of individual packages (I've been eating a lot of bacon), and some of the items, like eggs, are still relatively inexpensive even when you get the cage free, naturally fed ones simply because eggs are pretty filling.

I also notice that I just don't need as much food. I'm not snacking all the time. If I am hungry after work and I eat a few macadamia nuts, I usually don't really want dinner and/or each a much smaller dinner than I otherwise would. In the past I was ALWAYS hungry and there was just no way I was going to skip a meal. I do it now pretty frequently without noticing.

So yeah, the diet I am doing can be done on a budget. It takes time to find all the best local sources, but I they're out there. Once you find yours, it is simple.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
I'll go ahead and say now that I agree with Paleo Works.

I've been following a paleo type diet since the beginning of the year and I've had good results. I've read several books and studies in the past couple of months and what I've learned has been shocking, to say the least. I really encourage anyone that is particularly anti-paleo to read a few books and look into their references if you don't believe that the paleo diet is healthy.

I have not cut out dairy completely, but I'm sticking to organic dairy at the very least and raw when I can get it. For meats I only eat truly grass fed meats and wild caught fish. I get uncured bacon (nitrate free), and I use the fat to make other things (such as mayonnaise). I use coconut oil, animal fat or butter for cooking. I haven't had a grain since November, 2011.

For me, the results have been pretty great. My skin is clear for the first time in my entire life. I am less tired and no longer need anti-depressants. I'm losing weight, despite eating a much higher fat diet and exercising much less. I love having time to do things I enjoy instead of pounding out miles on a treadmill or elliptical, which is what I used to do (all the while I was still gaining weight anyway). Oh, and I'm never hungry, which is the best part of all. I put more thought into the types of food that I eat, but I spend much less time actually obsessing about food and anticipating my next meal or snack. That alone has been life changing for me.

So, I guess all I can say is that I wish people who are very anti-Paleo would read up on it more and get more of the facts. Also, consider that many medical studies are sponsored by big pharma companies; they have zero incentive to publish studies that show that ailments could be corrected by a change in diet. They also have a great incentive to tell you that drugs will fix your problems. The grain and big food companies don't have altruistic motivations either. Even doctors and surgeons would be out of business if everyone were healthy. So, I guess I take a lot of that stuff with a grain of (sea) salt. Personally, I am not selling anything. I won't make a dime if everyone eats a paleo diet. I encourage it because it has worked for me.
Awesome. Your whole experience sounds very familiar. Congrats!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I also wanted to add that I am absolutely NOT perfect about this diet. When I'm buying the food and I'm in control, then yeah, I buy the best stuff. However, I'm not always in control. I still eat at social gatherings, restaurants, etc. I just do what I can. Just as an example, I end up getting my lunch from a salad place near my office a lot. I'm sure the items in the salad bar are not organic. Oh well! I bring my own dressing because that's something I can do without going crazy. I am so bad about bringing my lunches to work; 8 times out of 10 I will forget it in the fridge at home.

Perfection about organic this and grass-fed that is not necessary, IMO.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Well let's compare then, since you're so positive that it's the Paleo-like diet that's doing it for you.

Quote:
My skin is always clear, I never had a skin problem. Uneven pigment, but no acne, ever, even when I was a teen. The occasional zit when I get my period, but even that only happens maybe twice a year.

I'm less tired than I used to be, back when I had a sleeping disorder that wasn't being treated. It's being treated now, though. I sleep well, and wake up *awake* instead of exhausted. I no longer feel like I have to nap in the middle of the day.

I've never pounded out miles on a treadmill or elliptical. I do use both, that or just plain walking, because I have a bad spine and bad hip and I need to move my legs daily so they don't stiffen up and I end up in a wheelchair.

I feel hungry if I haven't eaten for a few hours. Which is normal, and healthy. It's normal and healthy for people to experience the sensation of hunger when they haven't eaten for a few hours.

I don't obsess about food, except when I'm having a craving for ice cream or bread. And then, my obsession is relieved when I eat ice cream or bread. Simple problem, simple solution. A few croutons will satisfy the obsession just as easily as a whole loaf of garlic bread. And a scoop of icecream will satisfy the obsession just as easily as a half gallon. So I don't ever have to binge. And I never have to feel like I'm "missing out" on anything. I don't eliminate anything I enjoy from my menu.

I don't do the paleo thing, I eat meat, and veggies, and grain, and dairy, and oils, and fats, and fruits, and sugars. I have pancakes with my bacon, and never feel a moment's guilt.

So maybe my way is better than yours. Maybe Paleo sucks, and the AnonChick diet is the one you truly need. I should market it. I'll make a fortune, just like the Paleo people did.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well let's compare then, since you're so positive that it's the Paleo-like diet that's doing it for you.

My skin is always clear, I never had a skin problem. Uneven pigment, but no acne, ever, even when I was a teen. The occasional zit when I get my period, but even that only happens maybe twice a year.

I'm less tired than I used to be, back when I had a sleeping disorder that wasn't being treated. It's being treated now, though. I sleep well, and wake up *awake* instead of exhausted. I no longer feel like I have to nap in the middle of the day.

I've never pounded out miles on a treadmill or elliptical. I do use both, that or just plain walking, because I have a bad spine and bad hip and I need to move my legs daily so they don't stiffen up and I end up in a wheelchair.

I feel hungry if I haven't eaten for a few hours. Which is normal, and healthy. It's normal and healthy for people to experience the sensation of hunger when they haven't eaten for a few hours.

I don't obsess about food, except when I'm having a craving for ice cream or bread. And then, my obsession is relieved when I eat ice cream or bread. Simple problem, simple solution. A few croutons will satisfy the obsession just as easily as a whole loaf of garlic bread. And a scoop of icecream will satisfy the obsession just as easily as a half gallon. So I don't ever have to binge. And I never have to feel like I'm "missing out" on anything. I don't eliminate anything I enjoy from my menu.

I don't do the paleo thing, I eat meat, and veggies, and grain, and dairy, and oils, and fats, and fruits, and sugars. I have pancakes with my bacon, and never feel a moment's guilt.

So maybe my way is better than yours. Maybe Paleo sucks, and the AnonChick diet is the one you truly need. I should market it. I'll make a fortune, just like the Paleo people did.

Anon your way of eating is exactly like mine. If I want it I am going to eat it, within moderation of course. Its a wonderful feeling to know that nothing is off limits. I never obsess about foods. My skin is great for my age. I have no health issues except a lifelong thyroid problem that isn't a problem because I take meds for it.
I just do not get these extreme diets. Most people, like 99%, will abandon them within a few years if they get that far.
And Anon your diet is too easy and simple and makes too much sense for it to ever take off. You need a gimmick and some pseudo science to back it up.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I don't really understand why you seem to hate the paleo diet so much. No one is forcing you to do it. Someone started this thread asking if others had done it. I have, so I'm posting my experience.

Based on what you've posted I wonder if you've ever had a significant weight problem. I have. For me, when things like bread and ice cream are in my diet, I'm not able to stop at 3 croutons. By cutting them out of my diet I no longer crave them, so for me, this is easier.

I haven't made anyone rich doing this diet either, just for what that is worth. I bought a couple books, but I've spent much more money in the past on prescription medications for depression, migraines and even weight loss. I don't need those medications now. I don't think a local farmer selling me a quarter of a grass fed cow is getting rich in the process, but even if he is, the meat tastes better, so I guess I don't really care.

I really just don't understand why anyone would care so much about another person's diet. I think it's great if people want to eat grains, go ahead and do it. IMO, what someone eats is a lot like their religious beliefs. As long as they're not pushing it on me, I couldn't care less about them. I'm simply sharing my experience. For me, this has been the best diet because it has been the easiest to stick with. I've struggled with weight for my entire life (since age 7). I've tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Seattle Sutton, e-Diets, Healthy Chef Creations, counting calories, working out excessively, the South Beach Diet, Body For Life, and probably 20 other things that didn't work for me. So, I guess I will let that speak for itself.

Edited to add...

This is the first time I've ever made a lifestyle change that I feel I can actually stick with for the rest of my life. I'm not saying that I will never eat bread again, but what I am saying is that bread is no longer a main staple part of my diet. I've been without it 2 1/2 months, which I realize is not a huge amount of time, but I honestly do not miss it. I know that is hard for anyone who loves bread to believe (I didn't believe it myself), but it is true for me.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Anon your way of eating is exactly like mine. If I want it I am going to eat it, within moderation of course. Its a wonderful feeling to know that nothing is off limits. I never obsess about foods. My skin is great for my age. I have no health issues except a lifelong thyroid problem that isn't a problem because I take meds for it.
I just do not get these extreme diets. Most people, like 99%, will abandon them within a few years if they get that far.
And Anon your diet is too easy and simple and makes too much sense for it to ever take off. You need a gimmick and some pseudo science to back it up.
Okay so no pickled eggplant or avocados allowed on my diet. If you -need- avocadoes, you can have one tablespoon of home-made organic guacamole on your chosen Cheat Day. Also, no miso soup, and no seaweed. And if you choose to eat potato chips, it must be -either- kettle chips, OR Ruffles originals, with salt, no extra flavors. Dipping the Ruffles in chocolate is optional.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonchick View Post
okay so no pickled eggplant or avocados allowed on my diet. If you -need- avocadoes, you can have one tablespoon of home-made organic guacamole on your chosen cheat day. Also, no miso soup, and no seaweed. And if you choose to eat potato chips, it must be -either- kettle chips, or ruffles originals, with salt, no extra flavors. Dipping the ruffles in chocolate is optional.
lmfao!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
I really don't get the hate for the Paleo diet either. Yes it's very restrictive but many people seem to do ok with it. Some people can't tolerate grains or dairy so it's not like folks can't live without those foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss