Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times

Advertisements

This thread just keeps getting better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times
Ya, fitday is not 100% accurate. Agreed.
Looking again, the olive oil and butter added to the higher percentage, but yes that makes sense that the steak was probably not right. I'm glad it wasn't THAT high. I was surprised when I plugged in the numbers. I expected it to be around 40% fat at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The point, is that you are plastering "HIGH FAT IS GOOD!" all over the forum here, claiming that you are the perfect example of a high-fat success story. But you're not. Because what you think is a "high fat diet" is high, yes...but not nearly as high as you think it is. And the vast majority of people who are NOT on a diet, eat somewhat similarly to you. Some of them are obese, some are not. But it proves that your method is not causing you to be thin. It is also remarkably unhealthy; even that amount of saturated fats is bad enough that if you continue like this for another few years, you will very likely be a good candidate for heart valve replacement.
I'm saying fat is not something to be afraid of like everyone thinks it is. When your body is burning it for fuel rather than carbs. STORING fat is bad, mmkay?
And yes, I did indeed lose fat by eating less carbs and more protein and fat, all while cutting back on exercise. That's proof in my book.
As to being unhealthy, that's exactly what I'm looking into myself.
After a year my BP is perfect (in a family known for high bp problems) and I'm waiting on the blood test results.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
I am a big proponent of fat. It helps satiate you. However I prefer fats from fish, nuts, avocados and olives. I love meat and a fatty rib eye is delicious. But I don't eat them very often.
Your way of eating d2mini works for you and thats cool. But do not be surprised down the line if you have some serious health issues from it. A few crack pot pseudo dietitians who come up with these eating plans cannot compete with years of anecdotal evidence from the real medical community.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am a big proponent of fat. It helps satiate you. However I prefer fats from fish, nuts, avocados and olives. I love meat and a fatty rib eye is delicious. But I don't eat them very often.
Your way of eating d2mini works for you and thats cool. But do not be surprised down the line if you have some serious health issues from it. A few crack pot pseudo dietitians who come up with these eating plans cannot compete with years of anecdotal evidence from the real medical community.
Now that my weight is real close to where I want to be, i'll start playing with the ratios a bit. Leaner meats mainly. Get more fat instead from coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc. It will be interesting to compare this week's blood test with last year's and then compare to another blood test a year from now with eating leaner meats.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Now that my weight is real close to where I want to be, i'll start playing with the ratios a bit. Leaner meats mainly. Get more fat instead from coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc. It will be interesting to compare this week's blood test with last year's and then compare to another blood test a year from now with eating leaner meats.
I think its is a great idea for you to swap out your saturated animal fats for the
healthier plant ones. However fish like salmon have really healthy fats.

I have not tried coconut oil yet but I have been meaning to buy some.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
And lest it be assumed that I'm against saturated fats:
I use bacon fat to make popcorn. After eating the bacon. Real actual oversalted, chemically-enhanced, nitrate and nitrite-laden artificially-smoke-flavored amazing astounding griddle-fried fatty bacon.

I'm also a cheese addict and have, on occasion, gone through an entire 4-ounce package of port wine cheese on triskets in a single setting.

I try very hard not to do that too often. I also don't eat bacon more than maybe once every 3-4 months, and it's been a year since I've made my amazing sickeningly delicious and addictive bacon-grease popcorn.

So I'm not against saturated fats, or artifical whatever, or sodium. I just feel it's a really BAD idea to make any of it a dominant part of your daily menu.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Bacon makes everything better!
I love it but I eat it sparingly too.

Bacon grease popcorn.....Wow, that sounds dangerous and something I would love.
And I am a salt freak. I do not eat a lot of prepackaged stuff which is loaded with sodium, but I do use it liberally when cooking.
If we cannot embrace the foods we love with moderation then we will end up failing in our quest to eat healthy. Denial leads to rebellion.

One thing I learned about myself when I was dieting was that I absolutely could not give up the things I loved and succeed. Those things were coffee and wine. So I did not give them up. I also love to go out to dinner and I was not going to give that up either so I made myself eat much smaller portions.
I had no problem sticking to my 'diet' because I was never deprived.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I think its is a great idea for you to swap out your saturated animal fats for the
healthier plant ones. However fish like salmon have really healthy fats.

I have not tried coconut oil yet but I have been meaning to buy some.
I wish I could eat fish, but it's just one of those things I can not stomach. I can not get over that "fishy" taste. Even when people say something doesn't taste fishy, i can taste it. I can't even eat shrimp or lobster. I have not tried everything, like some of the more steak-esque fishes some people recommend, but so far the only thing I can eat fish wise is tuna steak and it HAS to be cooked well. So i'll eat the canned stuff occasionally.
The coconut oil is great. I use that all the time for cooking. It's stable at high temps unlike olive oil. It's weird though, you have to dig it out of a jar with a knife when it's at room temp. But that's all i use to cook veggies and other things on the stove top. I should probably try using that to cook my eggs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And lest it be assumed that I'm against saturated fats:
I use bacon fat to make popcorn. After eating the bacon. Real actual oversalted, chemically-enhanced, nitrate and nitrite-laden artificially-smoke-flavored amazing astounding griddle-fried fatty bacon.

I'm also a cheese addict and have, on occasion, gone through an entire 4-ounce package of port wine cheese on triskets in a single setting.

I try very hard not to do that too often. I also don't eat bacon more than maybe once every 3-4 months, and it's been a year since I've made my amazing sickeningly delicious and addictive bacon-grease popcorn.

So I'm not against saturated fats, or artifical whatever, or sodium. I just feel it's a really BAD idea to make any of it a dominant part of your daily menu.
Bacon fat and other renderings is very popular in the paleo circles but that's something I have not tried yet.... saving the leftover grease. A lot of people buy their meats on the bone and save the marrow too.

Quote:
One thing I learned about myself when I was dieting was that I absolutely could not give up the things I loved and succeed. Those things were coffee and wine. So I did not give them up. I also love to go out to dinner and I was not going to give that up either so I made myself eat much smaller portions.
I had no problem sticking to my 'diet' because I was never deprived.
For me it's ice cream. That's why i got the ice cream maker recently for our Kitchenaid mixer. Coconut milk based ice cream can be pretty good. Chocolate is my other vice and I always loved dark chocolate so I eat 75% and higher. That's my daily treat. And the red wine for me too. All three work well for me in moderation. It's definitely made it a lot easier to give up other things when I can still treat myself with my favorites, even if some are tweaked a little bit. Another trick for paleo/primal is using other kinds of flowers like almond flour or coconut flour. Some stuff comes out much different but interesting and not bad, other stuff come out almost as good as the original.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
Default Point of clarification

Quote:
Any 'diet' that restricts food groups is destined to fail.
Seems this particular post has made quite a stir amongst some, however for the purpose of accurate discussion I thought i ought make a point of clarification to the above comment.
That is that this type of diet is one of the very few that actually includes only real food. Caveman, Stone Age, Palaeolithic, Real-food, Evolutionary, Worlds Healthiest Diet, call it what you like Paleo Works because its restrictions apply to only real food.

Almost all other diets including the government endorsed examples include non foods containing anti-nutrients or even no nutrients at all, foods manufactured only in recent times to feed mass populations cheaply and create profit. Unfortunately the development of these industrial foods has also brought us sickness and disease.

Therefore it is totally misleading to even consider these as a food group, unless of course you happen to be a dietician, government minister, sugar baron, pharmaceutical giant or manufacturer of this crap.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo Works View Post
Seems this particular post has made quite a stir amongst some, however for the purpose of accurate discussion I thought i ought make a point of clarification to the above comment.
That is that this type of diet is one of the very few that actually includes only real food. Caveman, Stone Age, Palaeolithic, Real-food, Evolutionary, Worlds Healthiest Diet, call it what you like Paleo Works because its restrictions apply to only real food.

Almost all other diets including the government endorsed examples include non foods containing anti-nutrients or even no nutrients at all, foods manufactured only in recent times to feed mass populations cheaply and create profit. Unfortunately the development of these industrial foods has also brought us sickness and disease.

Therefore it is totally misleading to even consider these as a food group, unless of course you happen to be a dietician, government minister, sugar baron, pharmaceutical giant or manufacturer of this crap.
I'll go ahead and say now that I agree with Paleo Works.

I've been following a paleo type diet since the beginning of the year and I've had good results. I've read several books and studies in the past couple of months and what I've learned has been shocking, to say the least. I really encourage anyone that is particularly anti-paleo to read a few books and look into their references if you don't believe that the paleo diet is healthy.

I have not cut out dairy completely, but I'm sticking to organic dairy at the very least and raw when I can get it. For meats I only eat truly grass fed meats and wild caught fish. I get uncured bacon (nitrate free), and I use the fat to make other things (such as mayonnaise). I use coconut oil, animal fat or butter for cooking. I haven't had a grain since November, 2011.

For me, the results have been pretty great. My skin is clear for the first time in my entire life. I am less tired and no longer need anti-depressants. I'm losing weight, despite eating a much higher fat diet and exercising much less. I love having time to do things I enjoy instead of pounding out miles on a treadmill or elliptical, which is what I used to do (all the while I was still gaining weight anyway). Oh, and I'm never hungry, which is the best part of all. I put more thought into the types of food that I eat, but I spend much less time actually obsessing about food and anticipating my next meal or snack. That alone has been life changing for me.

So, I guess all I can say is that I wish people who are very anti-Paleo would read up on it more and get more of the facts. Also, consider that many medical studies are sponsored by big pharma companies; they have zero incentive to publish studies that show that ailments could be corrected by a change in diet. They also have a great incentive to tell you that drugs will fix your problems. The grain and big food companies don't have altruistic motivations either. Even doctors and surgeons would be out of business if everyone were healthy. So, I guess I take a lot of that stuff with a grain of (sea) salt. Personally, I am not selling anything. I won't make a dime if everyone eats a paleo diet. I encourage it because it has worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss