Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,580 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone..

I recently lost my employment with GE and I am in the IT Management/DR/Midrange space. Myself and my Wife (2 kids) have been wanting to relocate to the Colorado area for quite some time and now seems like the best time to go.. We are excited and plan on living in the Monument/Black Forest area. I am currently in touch with a few recruiters, but would like any advice in landing a position in the Denver area..

I have read a few posts and it seems both good and bad based on what area you are in..

Any help or advice would be appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 PM

299 posts, read 712,956 times
I'm watching this market, too. It's fairly stable and appears to be slowly improving. Not as much volume as New York, LA, SF, Seattle but enough so that I'm pretty sure I can find something.

Don't worry! The jobs are scattered all over the place so commuting is a concern.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,478,638 times
There are definitely IT jobs out there, especially contract work.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM

That is good to hear.. I really don't mind commuting, I drive 1.5 hours in bumper to bumper every morning.. Just looking to get away from the craziness of the NY/CT area.. Besides, everyone I met in CO was MUCH nicer.. Plus the cost of living here is outrageous.. Electricity alone is double what ALL the utility bills would be out there.. can't wait..

Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,799,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
There are definitely IT jobs out there, especially contract work.
Sorry, you're wrong. I'm an SA (linux/unix) and I'm in touch with the IT market on the front range and it's very slow.

To the original poster: the market's slow, there's nothing in particular that you can do to improve your chances other than living in Denver with a local address.

Keep this thread of your progress.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM

299 posts, read 712,956 times
Well, can you really say 'you're wrong' to this kind of question? The IT world is complex, with tons of different skills. Perhaps *nix admin skills aren't hot right now and things are slow for those professionals, but that's just one skill. From what I see, the market is slowly gaining momentum.

I've been offered 2 contracts doing Rational Tools related work in the last month. My brother in law got a lucrative contract as a temporary CTO after searching for about 2 months. There seem to be a ton of lower-end web development positions going around.

It seems kind of harsh to tell someone that they are simply wrong, and that the OP can't do anything but live in Denver with a local address. If I had that mentality when I moved here last year (when it was slower than it is now, for sure) I may have given up!

To the OP, for sure it's not a market that's exploding with work but I think if you try hard you can find something

Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Let me chime in here.. Being in CT, I have options, I COULD work in the City, BUT The amount of taxes you pay living out of state is absolutely nuts. Did, been there, not again..
Now, there are 2 main areas in CT, The Stamford job area and Hartford..
Doing a quick search on DICE.com, stamford shows about 611 IT jobs total in the 203 area code.. and Hartford shows roughly about the same..
Same hit in Denver under 303 & 720 area code, I get about 1100 postings and another 200 or so scattered in the CS area and other areas..
This is the same on TheLadders and to a point on Monster..
Basically it is the same and I am between the biggest metros in the US, NY and Boston
an if you decide to work in either, you pay double tax (basically get another 20+% taken out, depending)
Its all about where and when. The IT business is big, but it has so many niches there are tons of Jobs, you just have to find your place.
I have an excellent management skill set and with my time with GE, I saved them over 10MM in operational costs.. Will I find the job I love in Colorado?
Maybe, Maybe not.. But I will find one and hopefully it will be one I will enjoy and grow in..
Besides, I am tired of dealing with the attitudes, cost and continual rise in taxes in this part of the country..
Colorado here I come.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

369 posts, read 967,636 times
80skeys is very down on the IT market in Denver, which may be true from his point of view. From a software developer point of view, the Denver market is looking pretty good nowadays. Here's more detail:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/13037715-post6.html

Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,478,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Sorry, you're wrong. I'm an SA (linux/unix) and I'm in touch with the IT market on the front range and it's very slow.

To the original poster: the market's slow, there's nothing in particular that you can do to improve your chances other than living in Denver with a local address.

Keep this thread of your progress.

BF just got a new job @ HP using (linux/unix) and I saw there were a couple ones listed on Dice, just off hand, not really searching. When he was interviewing to fill new positions in his old job (in CoS) they were having a tough time finding qualified applicants. I've also looked at high level QA listings and there were a number that I would be interested in on the Front Range. Maybe 20-some listings, not 100s, but still.

Find IT Business Consultant IV jobs at Dice.com

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,799,212 times
Folks, in the past several months there's been several different individuals on this forum just like the OP of this thread. They have been applying for jobs in Denver, some of them local, some of them out of state - and not one of them has gotten a job. I don't think it's fair to give false hope to people inquiring about the job market.

People accuse me of being negative. But I'm not. I'm just being realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver