Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 34,221 times

Advertisements

You should stay close to where you have a network, and family. Moving to Colorado is a bad idea. Its not happening here. If you get a job here, and it doesn't work out, your unemployment(if you can get that) is gonna be low. I was earning $131 a week last year of unemployment.

I can't speak for IT, but most work here is slow. Many here don't want out of staters, and even if you get hired some people are not going to like you. They will try to get you in a mess. Its the same if you relocate to California, or Texas. Locals stick together, and your not a local.

Friends, everyone has enough friends. Friends with problems. Nobody is going to help you because they enough people that need help.

Unless your coming in a truck with tools, and a few bags ready to do any work. Stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandy View Post
Hi Steve,
Very exciting that you're planning a move to the Denver area. I came here 34 years ago and have not looked back!

One good resource for IT jobs is the Rocky Mountain Internet Users Group. They have a very active jobs board for anything IT related. Go to Rocky Mountain Internet User Group and you can sign up for the email digests of all the postings.

[ mod cut ]
bbandy, Thank you, already have gone down that route..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchc303 View Post
You should stay close to where you have a network, and family. Moving to Colorado is a bad idea. Its not happening here. If you get a job here, and it doesn't work out, your unemployment(if you can get that) is gonna be low. I was earning $131 a week last year of unemployment.

I can't speak for IT, but most work here is slow. Many here don't want out of staters, and even if you get hired some people are not going to like you. They will try to get you in a mess. Its the same if you relocate to California, or Texas. Locals stick together, and your not a local.

Friends, everyone has enough friends. Friends with problems. Nobody is going to help you because they enough people that need help.

Unless your coming in a truck with tools, and a few bags ready to do any work. Stay where you are.
THAT I completely disagree with. First off, "Staying" jobless in the state with the highest per capita income rate in the entire US as well as the highest cost of living next to CA & Hawaii is nuts. Jobs are there, but like anywhere else, it is very competitive. For me, utilizing recruiters rather than applying online is my choice as I don't want to have my resume to end up "filed"
Second, it is not just about work, it is about lifestyle. I want to raise my family somewhere better. Colorado is better.
Economy is not good, but not like it was over a year ago. Seems that there are more people discouraged about the job market that positive. Took a look on Dice this morning, More Jobs available in Denver then where I live now and I am meeting with recruiters on Wednesday.
I am happy with my choice and will be successful and just because a small handful of people were not, does not mean changing my plans.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM

299 posts, read 714,728 times
Good for you. These kinds of life changes are risky and complicated, and it sounds like you have considered it well. It's not easy to find a job anywhere, but Denver isn't as bad as some places. I have seen no evidence of employers or people in general having such a bias against out of state people that it will kill your job prospects.

I wish you luck

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,097,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchc303 View Post

By your own admission you don't know anything about the IT industry in Colorado, and yet you feel completely comfortable telling this guy to hang it up. Welcome to the world-wide web where everybody's an expert on everything!

IT growth in the Front Range is slow and steady, so the OP and others should keep up the effort and plumb their networks for job opportunities.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-01-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,843,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
It's not easy to find a job anywhere, but Denver isn't as bad as some places.
Nor is it as good as other places. The best places for IT in the country right now are Seattle, San Francisco/Northern CA, and D.C. In my opinion Denver falls smack into the "middle of the road" on par with 90% of American cities.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM

299 posts, read 714,728 times
This might be why 'some accuse you of being negative'. I think that the original poster knows that if Denver isn't as bad as some places, it's not as good as other places. That is just rephrasing things in the negative.

Your statistic that Denver is on par with 90% of American cities doesn't really mean much unless you define the cities. There are small cities whose job market I wouldn't to be in right now. I am fairly confident that Denver is actually better than most, but I don't have any stats to prove that. The DC are has plenty of jobs, but plenty of applicants and it's not so easy.

None of this is simple except one your take on the situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver