Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 69,620 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am wondering if anyone thinks that Denver feels like a midwest city? I am looking to move to Denver in the next year. I am from the midwest and moved to Phoenix 10 years ago to get away from the midwest life. I never liked how conservative and close minded alot of the people were that lived there. So I am just wondering if it has the same vibe in Denver? If not what is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrd View Post
Hello, I am wondering if anyone thinks that Denver feels like a midwest city? I am looking to move to Denver in the next year. I am from the midwest and moved to Phoenix 10 years ago to get away from the midwest life. I never liked how conservative and close minded alot of the people were that lived there. So I am just wondering if it has the same vibe in Denver? If not what is it like?
You didn't like how "conservative and close-minded" the Midwest was, so you decided to move to Phoenix, Arizona... Right.

May I ask where in the Midwest you're from? After all, it's a pretty big region of the country. That would be like me saying the majority of the Rocky Mountain West is conservative and close-minded. Most of the Rocky Mountain West is pretty conservative, but Colorado and New Mexico are exceptions to the rule. I'm going to guess you're from either Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, or the Dakotas, as those states tend to be on the conservative side, while the Upper Midwest states (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan) tend to be quite liberal or at the very least moderate.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 21,800 times
Not to be pedantic, but Iowa doesn't tend to be on the conservative side. It's much more progressive than Nebraska and Kansas.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
LOL @ midwest stereotypes. You know, you can find closed-minded conservatives AND closed-minded liberals (gasp! never!) everywhere, so I think this whole thread is kind of funny. With that said, Denver itself is a bit left of center in my opinion.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,958 times
When I was there, I found it to be left of right.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrd View Post
This is one of those inquiries where there is no right/wrong answer, since YMMV with any given city and each person's experiences are unique to them, so the best we can do is generalize. A lot.

When you say midwest city, people tend to think of conservative farm-belt towns that are strong on "social" conservatism and leery of "progressives" or "liberals" or "democrats" (whatever such labels mean these days).

Given the above stereotype of midwest cities, then, IMO, Denver is not like them. Still, the Denver metro area of 3M people has it's share of social conservatives, and everyone else as well, but I don't hear of any sort of dis-harmony.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outintospace View Post
Not to be pedantic, but Iowa doesn't tend to be on the conservative side. It's much more progressive than Nebraska and Kansas.
It doesn't take much to be more progressive than Kansas or Nebraska, those 2 states are about as conservative as they come. Just this week a Kansas doctor who performed late-term abortions was murdered by some pro-life lunatic.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
It doesn't take much to be more progressive than Kansas or Nebraska, those 2 states are about as conservative as they come. Just this week a Kansas doctor who performed late-term abortions was murdered by some pro-life lunatic.
Nebraska is more "progressive" than one might think. It had smoking bans, seat belt laws and the like before Colorado.

The abortion doctor in Kansas happened to be one of a few in the country who did that type of AB. If Kansas were *that* conservative, he wouldn't have set up shop there.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 AM

67 posts, read 192,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nebraska is more "progressive" than one might think. It had smoking bans, seat belt laws and the like before Colorado.

The abortion doctor in Kansas happened to be one of a few in the country who did that type of AB. If Kansas were *that* conservative, he wouldn't have set up shop there.
Not to be "pedantic" again, but Kansas is the home of Rev. Fred Phelps . . . he goes beyond conservative and is a despicable reactionary man. However, in all fairness, every area has its share of less than desirables.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
We've had this discussion many times, about whether Denver is "midwestern", and I think the general consensus is that it's not. Middle American, maybe, but not necessarily midwestern. It fits much better in the Rocky Mountain West, but I'll point out that the Rocky Mountain West is overall fairly conservative just like the midwest is, perhaps more so. I'd also dispute the idea the that the midwest is uniformly conservative. Chicago, for instance, is liberal by anyone's standard.

Denver proper is lopsidedly Democratic in terms of voter registration, though Democratic does not always mean liberal. In Denver's case, I see Denver as a city that LEANS toward the left rather than as a truly liberal city like Boston or San Francisco. However, many of the suburbs lean to the right, while the southern suburbs definitely lean quite strongly towards the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver