Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 81,079 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a midwest city and as someone who calls it home, it's far from close-minded. Too many open minds if you ask me! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,071 times
No.

Things that differ:

1. The people in Denver are on the whole not overweight. The number of grossly overweight people in Denver is a small fraction of cities in the midwest. Don't believe me? Go to the airport and sit by a gate that is boarding for a midwestern city, any midwestern city.

2. People in Denver drive foreign cars. Ever wondered where Chevy managed to offload all of their Pontiac Grand Am's? Missouri and Illinois. Seriously.

3. There are simply too many people from CA in CO to not notice the difference they have made.

4. Nobody "warshes" anything in Denver.

As to the politics. Eh I have always felt most of downtown Denver was fairly liberal and/or rather unconcerned either way. You see some fish on the backs of cars, some darwin fish -- and a couple weeks ago I saw someone with a flying spaghetti monster sticker (seriously awesome) -- but you don't see the overtly religious / political markings that you will find in most of the midwest.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 PM

151 posts, read 397,457 times
In my humble opinion, the entire premise of this thread is screwed up and can't engender an honest response to the original question. I spent the majority of my life in Colorado, but have also lived in norcal and Seattle, and all my extended family is from the midwest (Missouri and Iowa), so I feel like I have a pulse on all three areas.

First off, the midwest is NOT monolithic. Predominantly conservative? I guess if you look at electoral maps for the past 20 years, you could say yes. But is Chicago? No. Are the Twin Cities? Nope. The midwest follows the exact same sociopolitical patterns that the rest of the country does. Urban areas are liberal, rural areas are conservative, and suburban areas are a mesh of the two.

I have a huge affinity for the midwest, and to me the common denominator of midwestern locales, be they urban or rural, is a down-to-earth, earnest authenticity that I find the west coast somewhat lacking.

So all that said, is Denver midwestern? To me, the answer is no--it's got an active energy you don't find out in the midwest and it's always been more of a tech/service spot than a heavy industry spot. But it's more midwestern than it is coastal, if that makes sense. If people are put on a spectrum and midwestern cities are on one end, and the bay area, Portland, and Seattle are on the other end, Denver is more toward the midwestern pole.

Lastly? What's so wrong with conservatives? I'm a conservative--I believe in limited government and I believe strong families make for strong societies. Does that render me an unsatisfactory neighbor? Because I mow my lawn often, I'm quiet, and I don't care what ethnicity you are. So I'm not sure what your complaint is.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City, and don't really care much for the place. It's not horrible, but I left at age 18 and never went back to live. So my comparison leans toward KC vs. Denver. KC definitely seems Midwestern to me. The accent, slower lifestyle, people seem more overtly religious - and evangelical religious, people lean toward poorer eating habits (lots of meat), the suburban people seem anti-change, anti-urban, and anti-density, and overall, the metro area as a whole seems much more conservative. That said, you'll find people in urban KC fairly similar to urban Denver. Denver just seems to have a larger urban environment.

Denver seems to progress more than KC - such as building a new airport, light rail, embracing new urbanism, creating a lively and desirable downtown, etc. People overall seem more health conscious in Denver, into outdoor activities, etc. The people in Denver seem more West Coast to me than MidWestern. I prefer Denver or I wouldn't live here, so just my opinion.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
How can anyone accurately compare a city (Denver) to an entire region (Midwest)? Especially when many confuse plains states w/ midwest states. Can you even compare say Chicago and Cleveland, both Midwest states?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrd View Post
Hello, I am wondering if anyone thinks that Denver feels like a midwest city? I am looking to move to Denver in the next year. I am from the midwest and moved to Phoenix 10 years ago to get away from the midwest life. I never liked how conservative and close minded alot of the people were that lived there. So I am just wondering if it has the same vibe in Denver? If not what is it like?
In a word,
No.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
I've lived in every corner of this country over the past forty years, and I think Denver has its own vibe, but no matter what your preferences, I think you'll be able to find your crowd.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM

118 posts, read 403,467 times
I think Denver's mood feels somewhat like Minneapolis/St. Paul. A bit less friendly (imo) than Milwaukee. Less busy and crowded then Chicago, more busy and crowded than, say Omaha or St. Louis.

Denver does not have a "Minnesota Nice" attitude (or accent ).

Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Denver seems to progress more than KC - such as building a new airport, light rail, embracing new urbanism, creating a lively and desirable downtown, etc.
Whats funny about this is that everything that you said here describes Indianapolis. I guess the midwest can't be all that bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Whats funny about this is that everything that you said here describes Indianapolis. I guess the midwest can't be all that bad.
That's why I just compared to KC. I haven't been to Indy since 1980, so I couldn't compare it to Denver. They have LR in Indianapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver