Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM

24 posts, read 123,111 times

Advertisements

why do conservative people have such a bad rap on this board anyway?

Sorry if my presence in this state is such an inconvenience for you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,561,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
Not to be "pedantic" again, but Kansas is the home of Rev. Fred Phelps . . . he goes beyond conservative and is a despicable reactionary man. However, in all fairness, every area has its share of less than desirables.
Well yes, every area has it's share of lunatics on both ends of the political spectrum. To characterize an entire state based on one hateful person is extremely unfair. And frankly to lump anyone who is not progressive/liberal with the likes of Fred Phelps seems to point to a person who is a reactionary who doesn't care to take the time to think for themselves and consider that there is a huge wide open space between the two spectrums. Most people's views are in that gray area....

That out of the way, having lived all over the country, I would definitely say Denver is more "western" in it's identity than midwestern. Not just politically but culturally.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 PM

67 posts, read 193,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well yes, every area has it's share of lunatics on both ends of the political spectrum. To characterize an entire state based on one hateful person is extremely unfair. And frankly to lump anyone who is not progressive/liberal with the likes of Fred Phelps seems to point to a person who is a reactionary who doesn't care to take the time to think for themselves and consider that there is a huge wide open space between the two spectrums. Most people's views are in that gray area....

That out of the way, having lived all over the country, I would definitely say Denver is more "western" in it's identity than midwestern. Not just politically but culturally.
I was merely being sarcastic, I was not lumping any group of people together with Fred Phelps. That is why I referred to him as reactionary and not conservative. He is far right of conservative. On a side note, I prefer a diverse political population as a government and political science teacher (a fair and impartial one I might add). A diverse population leads to great debate and discussion where the students and myself learn a lot about perspective.

Someone far left of liberal is revolutionary. In my opinion, the political spectrum is a continuum in which the extreme ends have more in common than they would like to think.

To add further insight to this discussion, I currently teach online in Colorado. I have students from all over the state that run the gamut in socio-economic status, political beliefs, etc. From my experience thus far, the political climate is quite diverse in Colorado. Like all states, some geographic areas tend to have populations that lean one way, but as a whole, most areas are pretty gray as you mentioned.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,881,026 times
No Denver is not like the midwest.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,561,313 times
Quote:
I was merely being sarcastic,
If I misinterpreted your post, I do apologize....

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 13,009,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeGainsbourg View Post
why do conservative people have such a bad rap on this board anyway?

Sorry if my presence in this state is such an inconvenience for you all
I didn't mean to imply that it was. Actually, one thing I like about Denver, as compared to many other cities, is that people are fairly laid back about politics here, and we have a fairly wide spectrum. While the city itself tends to attract a bit more on the liberal side of that spectrum, with the surburbs tending to be a bit more conservative. In Metro Denver, neither is uniform by any means.

As for myself, I tend to be most attracted to the party NOT in power. I like to keep them honest.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,826,356 times
I don't think of Denver as particularly conservative. It's more of a general mix - you see about equal amounts of different attitudes.

Denver in some ways does feel like a midwest city because Denver, like a lot of midwest cities, grew up in the same era.

I would recommend living in Denver. ... versus Phoenix, I say Denver hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrd View Post
Hello, I am wondering if anyone thinks that Denver feels like a midwest city? I am looking to move to Denver in the next year. I am from the midwest and moved to Phoenix 10 years ago to get away from the midwest life. I never liked how conservative and close minded alot of the people were that lived there. So I am just wondering if it has the same vibe in Denver? If not what is it like?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
Denver is a Great Plains city.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
NO!! This is the West. Denver is one of the best citys in the USA to live in. It has everything and then some! I have lived in NY and LA and Denver is amazing!!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,099,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well yes, every area has it's share of lunatics on both ends of the political spectrum.
I'm so tired of hearing this totally bogus "both sides" argument, as if both sides of the political spectrum are equally as nuts as the other side. When's the last time a pro-choice pro-gay rights liberal burned down a church or murdered somebody they disagreed with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver