Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Denverian, we never, almost never see those arctic blasts this side of the Divide. I remember that in Dec. when temps were -10 or colder, at least Denver see's a nice rebound back to the 70's in Feb. That is awesome. Also, the problem over here, we never get the flow out of the Gulf of mexico that helps Denver warm up in the winter. Above all, I'd say it fluctuates a lot less here. Never really extreme super sub zero cold, but then again, it was 55 yesterday, the warmest it has been since October. :-(
Interesting - I guess I'd rather have the one or two arctic blasts and then get the 60 - 70 degree days here and there throughout the winter. I looked up SLCs elevation and I think you're about a thousand feet lower than us, if that makes much difference. Often when it gets warm here in winter it's due to the Chinook (down-sloping) winds. But if it's 45, sunny, and no wind, it feels pretty nice because the sun is so strong up at this altitude.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Press Kit Detail
There aren't any footnotes or links on their site that tell you how they reached this conclusion. Are we just supposed to take their word for it?

https://www.city-data.com/zips/80202.html
https://www.city-data.com/zips/53202.html
The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!
First of all, 80203 is Capitol Hill, not Downtown. The zip code for Downtown Denver is 80202. Within that zip code lives 4,616 people. Downtown Milwaukee is located in the zip code 53202, where 21,152 people live.

Fortune 500 2008: States - Colorado
Fortune 500 2008: States - Wisconsin
I accidentally included a couple Fortune 1000 Companies in my post. I was also just going by principal cities, not metropolitan areas. If I were to include Brookfield or Menominee Falls, Greater Milwaukee would have 8 companies in the Fortune 500, and 15 in the Fortune 1000. Metro Denver would have 10 in the Fortune 500, and 14 in the Fortune 1000.
Here is ANOTHER CBD link for denver
http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Milwaukee CBD is 26th...

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course posting the 80202 zip code does not back up your claim that it maps the entire downtown. You need to look at the Denver downtown map and then maybe then you realize there are several zip codes in downtown denver. 80203 zip code covers parts of uptown denver. FYI, There is a difference between a cities CBD and its downtown borders. This may not be the case for an undeveloped city like Milwaukee...

Downtown Denver is the main financial, commercial, and entertainment district in Denver, Colorado. The downtown area is claimed to be the 10th largest in the United States and can be divided into six or seven main districts: Union Station, LoDo (however, Union Station is often considered to be part of LoDo), Ball Park, Central Downtown, Civic Center, Upper Downtown, and Arapahoe Square

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Denver
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Denver-map.jpg

And you need to post a link showing that Milwaukee has 20k people living downtown - that is just unheard of for a city like that. There are less than 15k living in downtown seattle. More people live in downtown Milwaukee than Seattle???
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/neighbors/downtown/ (broken link)

I dont want to see zip codes. I want to see the city website or something - not JBclarks belief...

There are 37 highrises in denver. There are 12 in Milwaukee. Perhaps all twelve of those highrises are residential units?

Last edited by D-town 720; 02-26-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Here is ANOTHER CBD link for denver
http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Milwaukee CBD is 26th...

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course posting the 80202 zip code does not back up your claim that it maps the entire downtown. You need to look at the Denver downtown map and then maybe then you realize there are several zip codes in downtown denver. 80203 zip code covers parts of uptown denver. FYI, There is a difference between a cities CBD and its downtown borders. This may not be the case for an undeveloped city like Milwaukee...

Downtown Denver is the main financial, commercial, and entertainment district in Denver, Colorado. The downtown area is claimed to be the 10th largest in the United States and can be divided into six or seven main districts: Union Station, LoDo (however, Union Station is often considered to be part of LoDo), Ball Park, Central Downtown, Civic Center, Upper Downtown, and Arapahoe Square

Downtown Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Denver-map.jpg

And you need to post a link showing that Milwaukee has 20k people living downtown - that is just unheard of for a city like that. There are less than 15k living in downtown seattle. More people live in downtown Milwaukee than Seattle???
Downtown Seattle: Amid the hustle and bustle, there's a neighborhood with feeling (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/neighbors/downtown/ - broken link)

I dont want to see zip codes. I want to see the city website or something - not JBclarks belief...

There are 37 highrises in denver. There are 12 in Milwaukee. Perhaps all twelve of those highrises are residential units?
Denver does have a lot. But the problem is that it is all sprawled out. And when you do go to these places, there just isn't very much action and it feels depopulated and boring.

On paper, Denver sounds like a great place. But when you actually go there, for some reason it's just not happening.

Denver is cool if you just want a really laid back and slow paced city with plenty of open space. Personally, if I wanted that, I would just move out into a small town.

Denver, too big to be a small town, too small to be a big city.....

Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
From Wikipedia:

Economy of California

The Hollywood Sign overlooking Los Angeles is a symbol of the motion-picture industry.As of 2007, the gross state product (GSP) is about $1.812 trillion, the largest in the United States. California is responsible for 13 percent of the United States gross domestic product (GDP). As of 2006, California's GDP is larger than all but eight countries in the world (all but eleven countries by Purchasing Power Parity). However, California is facing a $16 billion budget deficit for the 2008-09 budget year.[36] While the legislative bodies had appeared to address the problem in 2008 with the three-month delayed passage of a budget they in fact only postponed the deficit to 2009 and due to the late 2008 decline in the economy and the credit crisis the problem became urgent in November 2008. One problem is that a substantial portion of the state income comes from income taxes on a small proportion of wealthy citizens. For example, in 2004, the richest 3% of state taxpayers paid approximately 60% of all state taxes.[37] The taxable income of this population is highly dependent upon capital gains, which has been severely impacted by the stock market declines of this period. The governor has proposed a combination of extensive program cuts and tax increases to address this problem, but owing to longstanding problems in the legislature these proposals are likely to be difficult to pass as legislation.

By 2008, California had the 6th highest tax burden of any state, when measured as a percentage of GDP.[38] State spending increased from $56 billion in 1998 to $131 billion in 2008, and the state was facing a budget deficit of $40 billion in 2008.[39]

California is also the home of several significant economic regions, such as Hollywood (entertainment), Southern California (aerospace), the Central Valley (agriculture), Silicon Valley (computers and high tech), and wine producing regions, such as the Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley and Southern California's Santa Barbara, Temecula Valley and Paso Robles areas.

Economy of Colorado

The Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that the total state product in 2006 was $230 billion. Per capita personal income in 2003 was $34,561, putting Colorado eighth in the nation. To see a 2004 per capita personal income comparison table on a state basis.[33] The state's economy broadened from its mid-19th century roots in mining when irrigated agriculture developed, and by the late 19th century, raising livestock had become important. Early industry was based on the extraction and processing of minerals and agricultural products. Current agricultural products are cattle, wheat, dairy products, corn, and hay.
Yo funky monk denvers economy is in way better shape than your precious california...what era are you living in???

California umemployment rate 9.3 Dec 2008
California Economy at a Glance

Colorado 6.1%
Colorado Economy at a Glance

California metros:

Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 8.7%

San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 7%

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 7.8%

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA 9.5%

Fresno, CA 13.2%

Colorado metros:

Denver-Aurora, CO 6.3%

Colorado Springs, CO 6.9%

Fort Collins-Loveland, CO 4.9%

Boulder, CO 4.8%

Ya good move going to California from Colorado funkymonk. Have a blast in that broken down state

<H1>

</H1>

Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Denver does have a lot. But the problem is that it is all sprawled out. And when you do go to these places, there just isn't very much action and it feels depopulated and boring.

On paper, Denver sounds like a great place. But when you actually go there, for some reason it's just not happening.

Denver is cool if you just want a really laid back and slow paced city with plenty of open space. Personally, if I wanted that, I would just move out into a small town.

"On paper, Denver sounds like a great place. But when you actually go there, for some reason it's just not happening."

I guess this sums up your problem then - you have a bad attitude. You're the type of person that can be dropped in the 10th largest CBD with over 1000 shops, retail etc, four major sports teams (8 total pro teams), over 37 300ft highrises, rocky mountians 15 miles away, 2.7 million metro, 2nd largest preforming arts center, 60k traffic daily on the 16th street mall, 125k workers in CBD, Street preformers, 7300 hotel rooms, six flags, a downtown aquarium, red rocks etc etc and think you're in a small and boring city.

I am willing to bet the boor here is you funkymonk. Have fun in bakersfield or whatever bustling metropolis you live in Cali.

Last edited by D-town 720; 02-26-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:

Yeeesir! Me 'n th' dogs iz sittin' on th' fron porch rat now with are shot gun, pro-tectin' are property. Caint see a neighbor fer miles on accounta this here city's so gosh derned sprawled out. Aint nothin' goin' on this weekend cept fer ol' man Johnson's barn dance and the preacher's got a revival goin' on down to the fair grounds. I think I'll head in fer a nap now - this slow pace done got me ta yawnin'.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Yo funky monk denvers economy is in way better shape than your precious california...what era are you living in???

California umemployment rate 9.3 Dec 2008
California Economy at a Glance

Colorado 6.1%
Colorado Economy at a Glance

California metros:

Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 8.7%

San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 7%

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 7.8%

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA 9.5%

Fresno, CA 13.2%

Colorado metros:

Denver-Aurora, CO 6.3%

Colorado Springs, CO 6.9%

Fort Collins-Loveland, CO 4.9%

Boulder, CO 4.8%

Ya good move going to California from Colorado funkymonk. Have a blast in that broken down state

<H1>

</H1>
And don't forget that Gov Arnold just made an announcement that the tax refunds of all Californians are coming this year in the form of an IOU.

I said it before and I'll say it again, for someone like FunkyMonk to claim he so loves his new locale, he sure does spend a lot of time on the computer. I haven't been on the computer in nearly 3 days because I was out...wait for it...enjoying the gorgeous Denver weather and heading to the mountains. Perhaps we need to discontinue this thread in order to give FunkyMonk some time to discover the hidden gem of his new city.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
Yikes, you know that alone rules out Calif. for me. What other states are doing that? Just goes to show, Colorado does seem to be in a much better position than other states.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You caught me, I have no life and i'm a computer nerd haha, not at all really. Today I was actually at the beach all day long. A lot of you have probably never even seen a beach

Lately this website has been like a habit of mine. I'm sure i'll get bored if it again really soon and stop coming. Right now my life is in a transitionary phase where I am just relaxing a lot and not doing a whole lot. It's good to shift gears like that sometimes.

The only reason why I started this thread is because a couple of months ago I very, very slightly critisized Denver. And a bunch of sour people said "Go home", "Leave the city", etc. I felt like I got a really rude reaction, so I responded apporopriately.

And also I keep getting private messages from Denver people saying things that are not too nice. This Denver forum is full of really defensive people. Some of these private messages are belligerant and foaming at the mouth angry. It's funny because i'm not even saying anything too extreme.

So it compells me to keep coming back. There is one regular to this forum in particular who keeps on writing me strange and angry comments in private. Even though I never respond to this person, the wierd, angry messages keep coming.

Anyway, you all enjoy it over there and I will enjoy what i'm doing. The main thing that I am so happy about is being out of Denver. That's just the truth. This is just my opinion, but I thought Denver really sucked and i'm sooooooo happy to be outta there.

Peace.
Glad to hear you were at the beach. I lived in Florida before coming here and we didn't even have cable at the house because when we weren't working, we were at the beach. Sitting around on the computer, whether you want to call it relaxing or "transitioning" does nothing more for you than alienate you from your new city. I am on the computer only when my baby is sleeping, but I discovered this site a few years ago and used it to help me find a great place to live. Having never stepped into Denver in my life before we arrived in the moving van, I found this site incredibly helpful. My only goal here is to try and help someone else who is moving here. Every city has good and bad. Every one in this country thinks they know the best place in the entire USA to live. It's just a matter of opinion.

My only point here is that this site doesn't need to be full of people saying, "My city is better than yours." If you are on the Denver site, it's helpful to contribute to what's actually great or bad about Denver. I know I don't make the rules and it's very immature for people to be sending you IMs calling you names. I just don't see why you continue to criticize a city that many of us love. As I have said before, if I won the lottery, I would move to Sanibel Island, FL immediately. That's not going to happen so instead, I am trying to make the best of Denver. It's not a bad place overall, and I disagree with most about the attitude of Denverites. I found them nice, but not pushy. The attitude of "live and let live" is a Western thing. People don't move here to live in high rises and fight traffic all day. However, when I am walking or at the store, I usually say Hi or make a comment. So far, that comment or hello has never been ignored. I think that some people always want to be approached but many people get vibes from you and whether they're right or wrong, it could be YOU who is the problem.

Now, go outside and even if it's just sitting on the beach or hanging out at a park, turn off your computer and enjoy your new city. There is no point in arguing with us. Scan the website for your new city and get some tips on cool places to go. You don't live here anymore. Cut the cord.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Yikes, you know that alone rules out Calif. for me. What other states are doing that? Just goes to show, Colorado does seem to be in a much better position than other states.
I haven't heard about other states, but Gov Arnold made the announcement last week. Seems California is the state in the biggest financial hole. Their legislature just spent months hashing out their budget...basically everything is being cut, no one is getting a state tax return, license plate fees are going up, city services are being cut and they are raising gas prices.

California is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to buy a house there. You know it says something when Suze Orman told a couple having financial problems that the first step is that they need to leave California. She said that California is the most expensive place to live. It's become the land of the rich and those who do their housework and lawns. Very unfortunate because overall, the state has some gorgeous scenery. But between the illegal immigrant problem, the housing bust, the natural disasters and their idiot government, the people there are really going to suffer. Plus, you know the rumor about the next earthquake coming which will drop California into the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver