Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,725,336 times

Advertisements

I thought so too. I thought Missy's comment was in addition to the don't move to Denver line of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 67,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Denver is too crowded. Too many out of state plates roaming around the metro area. Really???? try living in a city like Chicago, or New York, OR LA!!

The unemployment rate is sky high at 5.6% and rising. Illinois has an unemployment rate of 12.3%.... got you beat!

where are you getting this info on unemployment as of today its 7.3%...the highest since 1993....the only state i know of that is totally screwed like that is Michigan

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRN View Post
Denver is too crowded. Too many out of state plates roaming around the metro area.
The unemployment rate is sky high at 5.6% and rising.

Denver has had four snowfalls in about 4 or so weeks, so be prepared. Snow= colder temperatures=costly heating bills=roadway accidents=slower commutes=wasted time.

housing forclosure rates are skyhigh. The Denver housing market held its own for a long time, but ever changing times and major shifting economy has slowed new homes sales and existing home sales. Remember: Most people don't want to sell now.

If you're looking to start a business-good luck. There is a lot of competition here.

If you're moving here(Denver) mainly to ski or frequent the mountains, you might want to think twice. The major highway(s) leading to the mountains oftn close due to dangerous conditions AND I-70 usually moves at a snails pace on most weekends and holidays especially during a big winter storm.

If you're from a state that has a hands free law in effect, don't expect Denver to follow suit. I think Denver has the fewest citizens with bluetooth hands free technology. Welcome to the world of dangerous cell phone drivers.

Denver has a cripled DMV. The DMV is so backlogged with driving infractions/violations right now. Right now there are thousands of dangerous drivers in Denver and the state of Colorado who are driving with **** poor driving records because the state is overwhelmed. There are only 17 hearing officers to boot. Also, the DMV computer systems are very very outdated helping to create more of a delay. Supposidly, the only drivers that lose their license almost immediatly is a driver that has committed vehicular homicide while other "bad" drivers get to drive around racking up points on their license with no penalty.

You will spend plenty of money on auto repairs for damage and/or alignment problems suffered from driving on very poor road surfaces.
Man, it's not too bad.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

676 posts, read 2,798,398 times
Poor guy. Must be rough going through life so negative

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,331,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy cat View Post
Too much competition for lawyers here!
I've heard that. But then when I talked with the Denver Bar Association they said there was lot's of room for new firms in the area of civil litigation. So it probably depends on what kind of law you want to practice, like most places...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,494,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini_69_2000 View Post
where are you getting this info on unemployment as of today its 7.3%...the highest since 1993....the only state i know of that is totally screwed like that is Michigan
You just bumped up a thread that's about 84 days old? Nice. The Colorado average is at 6.6% and one of the lowest in the nation which is averaging above 8% now. So what's your point in bringing up the City and County of Denver? Other burbs around the city are down in the 6's.

I have to get back to work, so ... thanks again for burping life into another Bash Denver thread.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,155,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Poor guy. Must be rough going through life so negative
No kidding. Hey! I know...how about we all make our own decisions about why we want to live here? There are hundreds of thousands of cities to choose from in this country. There is something positive and likely something negative about every single one of them.

Don't listen to the person wearing rose-colored glasses who says that Denver is paradise on earth. Don't listen to the person likely living in his parent's basement who complains non-stop about how much it stinks here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Denver that doesn't plague every other city in this country. It snows here. If you don't like snow...don't move here. People like to be outdoors. If you're a couch potato, you likely won't enjoy living here. People aren't going to beat your door down and introduce themselves to you. If you need a bundt cake from your neighbors waiting on the porch the day after you move in, don't move here.

We moved here because my husband got a great job here. Is it the place I would have chosen out of the entire country? Probably not, but we have learned to make the best of it and have found great people and activities to do here. The reality is that you are either a person who tries to find the positive or you're the one who complains non-stop. The former will make you and your family a lot happier. The latter will ensure that you will continue to live in your parent's basement until the day they finally kick you out.

Enjoy Denver for what it is...warts and all. It's a nice city with an educated workforce who enjoy a high quality of life which puts them continuously at the top for healthy states to live in.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,220,873 times
Though Illini may have bumped the thread, I think he / she was referring to Illinois' unemployment statistics.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
If you need a bundt cake from your neighbors waiting on the porch the day after you move in, don't move here.
Bundt cake?

LMAO! This was an excellent, excellent post, the3Ds. Wanted to rep you again, but I've already filled my quota.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM

247 posts, read 745,762 times
mmmm. Cake.

me likey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver