Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 15,300 times

Advertisements

A follow-up to my previous post: Does anyone remember/have any info on the following:

I use to frequent these places between 1960 and 1965 as a young airman stationed at Lowry.

China Doll restaurant, Montview Shopping Center

Peppermint Lounge, on top of the hill behind the Capitol Bldg (cannot remember the street).

Aquarius Lounge, Littleton.

Club Ciceros, strip joint, East of Broadway about 4 or 5 blocks, on Colfax. Read a post
some time back about a dancer "Stormy" - that's where she danced.

Kilarney Club, South side of Colfax, about the same vicinity of Club Ciceros.

Gold Key Lounge, 6th and Dayton.

Happy Cat Lounge, 1133 Yosemite.

Hoffman Liquors.

Argonaut Liquors.

Yucca Lounge in Aurora, Colfax Ave.

K.C. Lounge down on Curtis St.

Dahlia Lounge, Dahlia Shopping Center.

Mile High Kennel Club - love to play the puppies.

Joes 7-11 Tap Room, 3.2 joint on Quebec at about 7th, 8th, or 9th.

Stockyard Restaurant.

Holiday Drive Inn restaurant, East Colfax ave - don't remember the cross street. Near Monaco though.

Western Drive Inn restaurant, East Colfax ave somewhere West of Tamarac.

Andy's Smorgasboard, Colorado Blvd I believe. Use to go there for lunch; they had a lingeree show during lunch. Very interesting. Later found out that place turned into a strip joint. It was almost that then.

Cowboy Drive Inn restaurant. I believe it was a 3.2 joint also. Down on 32nd and Downing.

Was the Apple Tree Shanty located on E Colfax across from the IHOP at Yosemite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,548 times
Berkley and Rocky mountain park and lake
Holy Family HS
Lakeside Fun house,wild chipmunk,feeding catfish popcorn by the speedboats, the train around the lake
Swimming at the new pool at regis college
Berkley elementary school
Pillow kingdom on federal
Dolly madison on 44Th
The oriental movie theater
Willis case golf course snow sledding
Fireworks near the hill near willis case
Northstar driveinn
Skinner junior high
Orphanage on Lowell on 40Th

Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post
Does anyone remember the names of 3.2 clubs back in the 70's? The only one that I can remember was called "My Sweet Lass". I used to go to those on a regular basis.

I also somehow got in to PT's even though I was underage.

I went through a country phase, and went to Ollie's Roundup. Hooked up with a girl there one night......back when it was safe to do so......
Yes, the joke i tell is that safe sex in the 1970s meant havîng a waterbed with a padded headboard

Old 09-12-2015, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 28,331 times
I worked at the "Rush" at the Graystone castle, anyone here hang out there. it was at the Graystone castle off I-25 and 120th Ave..... p.s my first post, hello everyone!!!!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
What happened to old "Buster," he was so mean................where is he now?????? I saw the results of one of his beatings.

after he got out of prison for rape, he died, sorry bastard!!!!!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM

just remembered a nightclub I use to visit. it was called "Club LA" it was off 88th ave and Harlen?. they turned it into a bible book store....

Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,651 times
Regarding Marcus motors, I think the kid's name was Chuck but it's been a long time. Sam Marcus was my uncle and his wife was my aunt. Would love to reconnect with my cousins. Last time I was in Denver was in Denver was around 1959.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 13,118 times
Default My 2 cents worth.

Took me several days to read the entire thread, but what great memories it inspired! Family moved to Denver in '52. I was Lincoln High, class of '65. I lived in the Denver area until '79, with a few years away to serve in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, '66 to '70.

I remember:
The east side of S. Federal between Louisiana and Florida when it was an open field. Had a big tree in the middle, an oak I think. Had a great treehouse in it with my brother and the neighborhood kids!

Across the street from there was a burger joint called the Golden Point. McDonald's was too much for them, but the burgers were wonderful.

The building of the Southwest State Bank Building. It was round. Is it still there?

Going to three different grade schools in six years without moving.

Walking to the YMCA in Mexico for a firearms safety course carrying a .22 cal rifle when I was about 11 or 12 and no one thinking anything about it.

Riding the number 19 bus downtown and spending the day in and out of stores just looking! I was about 12 when I was doing this. Always had lunch at Woolworths. Sometimes we would go to a movie, then meet my Mom who worked downtown and ride the bus home with her.

Walking to Kepner Jr High School in snow storms...Lots of snow storms!

Walking to Lincoln High School in snow storms...Lots of snow storms!

Cruising Brentwood Shopping Center before and after school.

My first job at 14 at a place called Stan's Fifth Avenue at 5th and Acoma. Great food!

Caddying at Green Gable Country Club.

Turning 16 and going to work at McDonald's in the Alameda shopping center. There was a fast food type Mexican food restaurant next door. Put Taco Bell to shame long before there WAS a Taco Bell. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Delivering Fried Chicken dinners for a place on So. Gaylord called Chicken by Phone. Great Chicken, almost as good as the Denver Drumstick!

Working as a bank messenger for a Law firm On 17th St in Downtown Denver.

At the same time working at the Centre Theatre on 16th street with other Lincoln buddies. Great times and good friendships formed there.

The La Pichet. Great pizza upstairs and great 3.2 joint downstairs. Also Mama Rosa'a Pizzaria on Federal.

The flood of '65. I was in Grand Junction that weekend and came home to a city cut in two.

Moving to Capitol Hill in late '65.

Two Rockybilt hamburgers, and bag of chips and a Pepsi every night for dinner.

A 3.2 joint on 6th Avenue, around Ogden I think. Can't remember the name.

Also, the Crimson and Gold (C and G) on Bectel(?) The Galaxy, the Exodus with the Catacombs below, Anyone remember the witch riding the broom backwards? And a place on Colfax called the Play Pen.

A 3.2 place on Tremont between 15th and 16th run by a guy named Al.

I know this has been long, thanks if you made it this far. I'll be back with more memories later!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 13,118 times
A few more random memories. Not in order, time wise.

Swimming at Progress Plunge. Remember when they put trampolines out back?

Ice skating on Sloan's Lake. Bet the haven't done that in awhile!

Bob's Pizza on Sheridan.

Cruising the "Big A" at Alameda and Morrison Rd. Then the "Little A" across from Lincoln High.

Keggers in Turkey Creek Canyon.

Thursday night sock hop after skating ended at Roller city on Alameda.

The Denver Dry Goods Store at Christmas. And the "DING" of the pneumatic tubes.

The Mayan Theater.

Englewood Shopping Center.

The soda fountain in the drugstore, downtown Littleton.

Claret Wine Sundaes at Dolly Madison.

Bowling at Crown Lanes when it was brand new.

Athmar Bowl

The Lakeshore Drive Inn next door to KIMN.

Going to Bears Stadium on Sunday afternoon, walking up to the box office and buying a ticket to watch the Broncos. Choice seats at that!

The Casa Nova West at 80th and Sheridan. That was after it was the Captains Corner.

The Lazy Leopard Lounge.

Taylor's Supper Club, home of the Backporch Majority. They were a feeder group for the New Christie Minstrels.

The piano bar on the top floor of the Holiday Inn by Mile High Stadium. Piano players name was Maryanne and the bartenders name was Tino. Maryanne later played at the Holiday Inn on west Colfax.

Lots more memories but it's getting harder to dig them out!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
A few more random memories. Not in order, time wise.

Swimming at Progress Plunge. Remember when they put trampolines out back?

Ice skating on Sloan's Lake. Bet the haven't done that in awhile!

Bob's Pizza on Sheridan. One of the best mom and pop pizza places in the metro area.

Cruising the "Big A" at Alameda and Morrison Rd. Then the "Little A" across from Lincoln High.

Keggers in Turkey Creek Canyon. Heh, and the keggers at Daniels Park, about 5 miles from Sedalia!

Thursday night sock hop after skating ended at Roller city on Alameda.Never got there, some of my friends did though.

The Denver Dry Goods Store at Christmas. And the "DING" of the pneumatic tubes. My mom and sisters loved shopping there!

The Mayan Theater. Saw quite a few movies there, great old building!

Englewood Shopping Center.

The soda fountain in the drugstore, downtown Littleton.Yeppirs, was there a time or two!

Claret Wine Sundaes at Dolly Madison.

Bowling at Crown Lanes when it was brand new.Yep, bowled there a time or two. (Federal and Yale area)

Athmar Bowl Never bowled there but heard it was a good place!

The Lakeshore Drive Inn next door to KIMN.Saw a few movies there, yep 95 KIMN, great station-remember the big sign there--"The Denver Tiger?" At the twice a year music swap meets a couple old KIMN dj's show up, Steve Keeney and Randy Jay. Great guys!

Going to Bears Stadium on Sunday afternoon, walking up to the box office and buying a ticket to watch the Broncos. Choice seats at that!I moderate the football forums on City data. Check out the Bronco team thread! I'll address the old stadium in a separate post later!

The Casa Nova West at 80th and Sheridan. That was after it was the Captains Corner.Never got there.

The Lazy Leopard Lounge.Or there.

Taylor's Supper Club, home of the Backporch Majority. They were a feeder group for the New Christie Minstrels.My parents went there a lot1 The Back Porch Majority landed a contract with Epic Records. Good group!

The piano bar on the top floor of the Holiday Inn by Mile High Stadium. Piano players name was Maryanne and the bartenders name was Tino. Maryanne later played at the Holiday Inn on west Colfax.I'll try to include a story on the Holiday Inn when I post on the old Bears/Mile High Stadium!

Lots more memories but it's getting harder to dig them out!
Replies in blue.Good stuff here Bob! I'll get into the old Bears/Mile High Stadium soon, an interesting story there!

Lots of places here Bob. Welcome to the Colorado forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver