Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtbecky1997 View Post
I don't remember location. Just remember the employee uniforms were white with vests and hats. Did there used to be a Ferrels ice cream parlor there in Denver.
There were Farrell's at Cinderella City and Northglenn Malls.

See http://www.happyitis.biz/Locations/h...clocations.htm re Farrell's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Anybody remember Big Al's burgers at the Westminster mall food court?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post

I do remember that one of the stations did the "Eyewitness News" thing in Denver. I remember it being Channel 4, KOA (the NBC affiliate), but when I Googled it one website said it was Channel 2, KWGN. But I definitely remember one station or the other doing it.

Apparently both stations had used the news title Eyewitness News at one time. I was watching on You Tube recently a video of the history of Denver TV and there is a very brief shot of the KOA-TV 4 news set from about 1973 maybe 1974 and it said "Eyewitness News". Some of my co-workers told me that KWGN picked up that name for their news for a time in the early 80s. Unfortunately neither station had used the name Eyewitness News for very long unlike down in the Colorado Springs area where KOAA channel 5 called their news Eyewitness News for a good 20 years.

Oh yes You Tube has a 1964 aircheck from KIMN. Quite fun to listen to especially hearing a vintage commercial for channel 9 but what got me was even that far back KIMN was doing traffic reports from their own helicopter. Of course those reports were much shorter than what John Morrissey ( ? ) does for KOA radio now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPkcyGNPlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7S7sAMY9cU

Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Anybody remember Big Al's burgers at the Westminster mall food court?
Nope, don’t remember it. But on the subject of Westminster Mall, does anyone remember what it was like when it opened in 1977? It opened with just 30 stores including one anchor, which was a Joslin’s department store. As a kid who like to hang out in shopping malls, I just remember how incredibly lame it seemed compared to Cin City or even Villa Italia.

Westminster Mall; Westminster, Colorado

Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 26,890 times
Default Anyone?

Does anyone remember a building, visible from I-25, on the north-west side of downtown Denver, that had a four sided, white top that changed colors at night, circa 1965-69?

Great memory? Got to be the Cheese Frenchies at King's Food Host and the Camaro Cub parking area at "After the Gold Rush" bar.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

36 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Boy View Post
Does anyone remember a building, visible from I-25, on the north-west side of downtown Denver, that had a four sided, white top that changed colors at night, circa 1965-69?

Great memory? Got to be the Cheese Frenchies at King's Food Host and the Camaro Cub parking area at "After the Gold Rush" bar.

The building with the lights was the Public Service Company's downtown office at 15th and Welton. It's now a Hampton Inn. I remember the lights used to slowly change from one color to the next, red would fade into blue into green into yellow, etc. At Christmas they would have only red and green lighting. They stopped the lights in the early '70s as part of their energy conservation program.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,379 times
Default Denver memories

What a great thread! I'll try to avoid too many overlapping memories.

First a question (I cannot remember). In the mid-1970's there was a pretty nice restaurant in Cherry Creek either next to or above the Tattered Cover. Anybody remember the name? It was like on the 3rd or 4th floor.

Bear Valley Shopping Center
- Florist shop
- Record store
- Baskin and Robbins
- Duckwalls
- Wyatt's Cafeteria
- Happy Logan Music (instruments - pianist Rob Mullins use to teach there)
- Gary Dunbar Jewelers
- Dave Cook Sporting
- Fashion Bar (where Rosanne Barr worked)
- May D&F
- Goofy concrete kids tunnels right in front of Duckwalls

BV Strip Mall
- Doctor/dentist offices (mine was Dr. Cody)
- Hodels Drugs

3.2%
After the gold rush
Score minus 2
South Door

Japanese restaurants
Fuji En restaurant (now Dazzle's jazz club)
Mandarin Cafe (20th street, 1960's)
20th Street Cafe (still there)
Akebono's on Larimer (gone now)

Traildust Littleton (now ViewHouse with those mega screens)
Jefferson 440 (great prime rib on Wadsworth)
Wuthering Heights on Colfax (now a real dive bar)
Wishbone restaurant (started at Federal and 17th)

Jay's Subs/All-V's
Cathay Post VFW (great olde fashioned Chinese - just down the street from KBTV in the old days)
Bud's Bar, Sedalia (still going, great burgers, minus the caps on the wall)
Vella's Italian on South Federal
Louisville's Collacci's and Blue Parrot feeding hungry CU kids on Sunday night with all you can eat
Tom's Tavern in Boulder
White Fence Farm in Lakewood
Bull and Bush in Cherry Creek
Confetti's, Urban Cowboy, and Chaps in Glendale
Chateau Pyrenees

KDKO radio

Long rides to Daniels' Park from County Line Rd and Colorado Blvd (all dirt road)

Tulagi's in Boulder
Blue Note in Boulder
Wall Street Jazz Cellar in Boulder (short lived)
Boulder Theatre

Playing "Name That Drug" on the Boulder mall during the summer evenings

US36 ("turnpike") toll booth dog's grave (used to hang around the booth)
Giraffe on top of taxidermist's house on the north side of the turnpike as you approached Wadsworth
Attached Thumbnails
Denver in the 1960s and 1970s (Memory Lane)-img_0078.jpg  

Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,379 times
That was actually the top of the old Public Service building. All four sides would change colors over time.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles62 View Post
La Pichet was a 3.2 bar on west Mississippi. My Sweet Lass and My Sweet Ass are the same night club. Prior to those names, it was called the Psychiatrist. It was on the corner of 3rd and Detroit in north Cherry Creek. I remember the band "Nasty Benjamine". I saw the same drummer light his cymbals on fire during a song but I don't recall it being "Beginnings" There were several bands that played at the same 4 or 5 clubs during that time. "Davis Brother Garage", "Canary" "Canois" (not sure of the spelling of that one), "Slower Buffaloe" and "Wakefield" all played at the two clubs mentioned above as well as "Fridays & Saturdays" on east Colfax, "Mr Luckys" in Glendale. I'm not sure but I think the band with the burning cymbals was "Canary".

I remember Davis Brother Garage they had me dancing!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytrpt View Post
Bear Valley Shopping Center
- Florist shop
- Record store
- Baskin and Robbins
- Duckwalls
- Wyatt's Cafeteria
- Happy Logan Music (instruments - pianist Rob Mullins use to teach there)
- Gary Dunbar Jewelers
- Dave Cook Sporting
- Fashion Bar (where Rosanne Barr worked)
- May D&F
- Goofy concrete kids tunnels right in front of Duckwalls

KDKO radio

I used to be a mall rat at Bear Valley back in junior high. We'd hang out on the rock planters, or in Wyatt's, or in Orange Julius. I think we were pretty obnoxious. I used to buy black light posters at the Hatch's gift shop.

Rob Mullins used to sell pianos at that store as a part-time evening job while he was in high school. He used to play on a piano sitting near the store's entrance to get people's attention and get them to come in. He was about 16 but he could play like someone a lot older.

I used to listen to KDKO--Doctor Daddy-O, Billy Soul (with his "main man Roscoe"), and that guy who did commercials for Rosen-Novak Ford, "Soul Brother Syl Butler".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver