Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 21,193 times

Advertisements

No, but I do remember the Drumstick!! Weeee doggies!!! I got my killer chicken dinner in a little cardboard fire truck that I played with all day after we ate!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 12,365 times
Hi all. And speaking of east Denver, Is there anyone here who attended Montclair Elementary School during the 1950s-early '60s?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaleman View Post
No, but I do remember the Drumstick!! Weeee doggies!!! I got my killer chicken dinner in a little cardboard fire truck that I played with all day after we ate!!!
My little sister worked at the Drumstick on South Santa Fe for a couple years in the middle 1970's. I stopped in there lots of times for dinner!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,987 times
Default Sid King

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher&cindy View Post
Wow, I didn't think anyone would ever remember "SWD". My foster dad used to tend bar there,..and I still have my mom's mink stole that came from Lloyd's
He was just such a sweet guy - so unlikely for a man who ran a strip club - love being reminded of him.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,987 times
Default The Blue Onion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher&cindy View Post
The "Happy Cat"
My father and uncle owned the Blue Onion - love the shout out - in the early 60's it was the cool spot for pilots and stewardesses...when flying was still glamorous...and they had the annual blue onion picnic in Morrison which were wild parties - does anyone remember that? I was too young to ever attend one.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Boy View Post
Agreed. I was a huge Steve Kelly fan. I remember a couple of fundraising stunts he pulled off. He sat in every seat at the old Mile High and also cleaned every exterior window of the United Bank building (cash register).

For those familiar with West Colfax, what did you prefer, Dino's or Ramones?
They were both owned by Dino. Ramone's never seemed as consistent.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:46 PM

36 posts, read 87,752 times
Now that it's summer I was remembering how we used to be able to hear Englewood Speedway from our house, about three miles away. We used to go watch the races there, all stock cars, and we especially like the figure 8 races. It seems crazy today that they'd let them do that kind of thing because it almost guaranteed there would be T-bone crashes galore. Plus they had demolition derby contests. I remember going to see races at Lakeside Speedway also.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
Now that it's summer I was remembering how we used to be able to hear Englewood Speedway from our house, about three miles away. We used to go watch the races there, all stock cars, and we especially like the figure 8 races. It seems crazy today that they'd let them do that kind of thing because it almost guaranteed there would be T-bone crashes galore. Plus they had demolition derby contests. I remember going to see races at Lakeside Speedway also.
I remember being able to hear Englewood Speedway from my parent’s house in Downtown Littleton. It was very loud, but I don’t think anybody really complained about it. Sad thing is the track shut down before I could save enough money to see a race there. I do remember seeing a couple of Forth of July fireworks displays there with my family though.

I found this video of racing at the Englewood Speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvnroBrraJE

Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
We spent many a night at the Englewood Speedway watching a friend race a number of clunkers in the figure 8s and demolition derbies. We were young and dumb and it never occurred to us that it was anything but fun, but I'm sure people got injured. Those t-bone crashes! This was in the mid-'60s.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Garcia View Post

In an early part of this thread there was a discussion about KIMN vs KBTR am radio stations. I seem to remember Lincoln competing for some kind of spirit contest among high schools, signing sheets to see which high school had the most spirit; I think it was sponsored by KBTR.
Long before he moved east to become a big disc jockey in Philadelphia & New York City as well as a popular TV sportscaster with Washington, DC's WRC NBC 4 the late George Michael worked at KBTR where he was known as "King" George Michael. Did something happened to George when he was in Denver ?? The reason I ask is that when I did radio in West Virginia about 15 years ago when George was still at WRC-TV 4 my then-boss attended some big event at George's estate complete with horses, lots of food, wine and very expensive cigars. According to my boss George had no problem at all during the event talking about his days at Philly's WFIL and NYC's 77 WABC but when it came to KBTR and Denver George Michael just would not talk about it. Not at all other than a simple "..yes I did work in Denver once". and that was it. Wonder if there is a story there..someplace ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver