Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

I don’t really know what’s normal for Denver. This winter seemed fairly mild by my standards, but I was born in the Midwest ice belt. When I moved here, it was 2008 and that was the winter of the successive weekend blizzards. By the time the blizzards actually stopped, the snow was piled six feet high, we hadn’t had mail delivery regularly in over a month, and our local King Soopers had barren shelves because grocery deliveries had come to a halt. That’s what I thought winter in the Front Range was all about, but we haven’t had a repeat of that kind of weather in the last decade. However, I will note that my FIL who has lived here for most of his adult life said that was not normal at all and that he would have left years ago were it the case.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Default using city streets instead of freeways i25 & i70

i have seen it snow more at times
it has remained sub zero for longer

this winter has been easy

Last edited by daprara; 03-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: started a new thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:16 AM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don’t really know what’s normal for Denver. This winter seemed fairly mild by my standards, but I was born in the Midwest ice belt. When I moved here, it was 2008 and that was the winter of the successive weekend blizzards. By the time the blizzards actually stopped, the snow was piled six feet high, we hadn’t had mail delivery regularly in over a month, and our local King Soopers had barren shelves because grocery deliveries had come to a halt. That’s what I thought winter in the Front Range was all about, but we haven’t had a repeat of that kind of weather in the last decade. However, I will note that my FIL who has lived here for most of his adult life said that was not normal at all and that he would have left years ago were it the case.
Yeah I from the midwest also and considering Denver, a chicago native here who can deal with cold weather , but not chicago winters anymore. Hopefully denver is not anything close to that.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Yeah I from the midwest also and considering Denver, a chicago native here who can deal with cold weather , but not chicago winters anymore. Hopefully denver is not anything close to that.
Nothing at all like a Chicago winter. My spouse travels back and forth to Minnesota all the time, and he thinks it’s insane that anyone lives in that region of the country. He’s completely miserable there and finds it a relief to return to Colorado after a week in the windy, frozen north.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I'm an East Coaster, and lived in Boston for about 25 years before moving here.

That's the pleasure of the Denver winter, it's nothing like Chicago or Boston or Buffalo. Yes, we've had more extended cold snaps here than are customary, but it's rare to go more than a couple of days without getting sun to help melt the snow and to just warm things up overall. 20 degrees in Denver is absolutely nothing like 20 degrees elsewhere - it's reasonably pleasant to be out of doors here, and not bone-chillingly raw the way 20 degrees is so many other places.

If you are from a warm place, then sure, a Denver winter would still be a big change. But if you are from a place with a true winter to start with, Denver winters are easy peasy other than many a couple of big storms to deal with.

But I will say that's DENVER, not the mountains and all of the avalanches right now, that's a different story.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Those blizzards were actually in 2006 and 2007. I remember because we flew out just before the first one hit before Christmas and closed the airport.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Those blizzards were actually in 2006 and 2007. I remember because we flew out just before the first one hit before Christmas and closed the airport.
You’re right. It was before we moved to our current house, so it had to have been a year earlier. I had my dates confused.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
A list of Colorado's historic blizzards and snowstorms

I went to Cali for Christmas and got snowed into Albuquerque before the new year.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:13 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
A list of Colorado's historic blizzards and snowstorms

I went to Cali for Christmas and got snowed into Albuquerque before the new year.
I was also in Cali visiting my family. When we flew back in to Denver we had to dig our car out with our ice scraper. It was buried in one of the offsite lots. Luckily one of our neighbors had shoveled half of our driveway.

Looks like tomorrow's storm has the potential to be a big one.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I was also in Cali visiting my family. When we flew back in to Denver we had to dig our car out with our ice scraper. It was buried in one of the offsite lots. Luckily one of our neighbors had shoveled half of our driveway.

Looks like tomorrow's storm has the potential to be a big one.
I saw that the forecast now indicates a bomb cyclone for the Front Range. I just walked into my kitchen to ensure that I have what I need to make meals for everyone for the next couple of days, and next I’ll do a walk around the exterior of the house to look for anything that needs brought in or secured. The mild weather has been nice, but a good storm keeps things interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver