Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,501,564 times

Advertisements

I used to love the days of widowed snowbirds with no pets in my complex who only used unit a few months a year. The full time folk and folk who work from home and multiple pets become a pain for the board.

I do the Treasurer report at the condo meeting. A lawsuit requires disclosure and for me to tell the financial impact to building. I would in this case be forced to name the person suing, explain the financial impact and possible hikes in maintenance due to this individual and present the option of us no longer spraying anyone units and risk the bugs or skip his unit.

Suing the HOA is always a bad choice in most cases. Better to work it out.

I dont spay in peoples units at all. If folks asked when extrerminatior is doing common areas I could have them spary the unit. But not going out of my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 AM

79 posts, read 100,479 times
> Suing the HOA is always a bad choice in most cases. Better to work it out.

It's a bad choice for the HOA certainly but a wonderful one to preserve the rights of the owner. Your thinly veiled threats of exposure and group condemnation to the involved hypothetical owner only point out more clearly why a good lawyer is one's only and best defense against incompetent HOAs and/or HOAs who's board members have let the tiny amount of power they possess go entirely to their heads.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,501,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0lady View Post
> Suing the HOA is always a bad choice in most cases. Better to work it out.

It's a bad choice for the HOA certainly but a wonderful one to preserve the rights of the owner. Your thinly veiled threats of exposure and group condemnation to the involved hypothetical owner only point out more clearly why a good lawyer is one's only and best defense against incompetent HOAs and/or HOAs who's board members have let the tiny amount of power they possess go entirely to their heads.

It is a bad choice, because if you lose you have to pay your own legal fees and then condo can sue you for their lost legal fees or if association eats the legal fees you end up paying a pro-ratio portion anyhow.

If you file a lawsuit the condo association must disclose who is suing and if you win must disclose the amount.

Personally I would just skip this guys unit. Unless bugs started coming out of unit what do I care.

At last condo meeting we did not want to name names, but condos attorney was asked point blank who deadbeats were and said since a lien/lawsuit is public record and a condo owner asked the question and I work for condo I will tell. He named every deadbeat by name, amount owed and what we are doing.

In the past we never did that. I did not want to do that at meeting. But folks who own units need to know who is suing condo, who is behind in maint, who the condo is suing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver