Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

I live in Stapleton and find it to be the absolute friendliest place I've ever lived. We go out to eat with neighbors, invite neighbors over for dinner, meet in the parks, go biking together - I don't know where in Denver you live that's so boring. Sounds like you just don't know anyone here.

As for being stuck in a routine, it doesn't matter where you live - if you have a job, you're stuck in a routine. That's just life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
I think a lot of us tend to use the term "downtown" to describe the areas you've listed. I know I do. And I've lived in all of the areas you've mentioned with the exception of Highlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
There are also lots of dense, urban neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Capitol Hill, Park Hill, Wash Park, the Highlands, Uptown to name a few. I know that Denver is not as dense as some larger cities, but there are definately some nice urban areas of the city. I currently live in southeast Denver about 20 minutes from downtown, but I'm planning on moving into the downtown area this spring, because I want to be in a more urban area.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I totally agree. I'm not sure where people, especially newcomers, get the idea that Denver is laid back, because it's anything but.
I for one think that idea comes from other parts of the country. I also tend to agree with the laid backness. When you visit other cities, in the east or elsewhere, there is a kind of hurriedness involved. Here, it can be reminiscent of Mayberry where you must wait in line so that the cashier can finish her conversation about how Betsey Mae and her husband are getting divorced.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM

I choose your side LOL. But really, I sort of agree and disagree with Vegas. While yeah, you probably had an image of what Denver would be like, who doesn't hold an image, an idea of what a city will be like? And of course, some of those ideas are shattered when you actually move there.

Let's be realistic. While I think Vegas is right in that regard, I do think that his post sounds like the preconceived notion is a bad thing. It's not. It's reality and how people think, an unavoidable thing. And I agree with you, why is it that if you don't like Denver people here take it as a personal front? Who the heck cares? I don't love Denver, so what? I know a lot of people here love it, great for them. There is a difference between nonstop whining about how much you hate a place and just saying, eh, it's not really my thing. I don't feel like you were doing nonstop whining, just posting a thought about your newly lived in city.

You've been fair about your opinion and I don't think it warrants snide comments from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I think Denver is just a normal Middle-American city. To be honest, before coming here I had never spent much time in the midwest. But now I have traveled to other midwest states I am learning what it is all about. Some things about it are kind of hard to get used to. But now I am learning that I can't hate on it for what it is.

I wasn't expecting much out of Denver or projecting any views onto it. I have lived in 9 different cities in my life so I know that places always turn out different than expected. I know that it is a fools game to try to bring your old ways to a new city, you gotta adapt.

I was just a little bit shocked by what I sense as a lack of community here. It's a very ultra-individualist vibe in my opinion. And to me, well, there is a very generic and corporate, big box store feel to a lot of the city. More than any other place i've lived.

And getting around here by bicycle here sure is a challenge. There are lots of great paths to ride on, but since i've moved here I have probably rode about a thousand miles. I just ride and ride and ride through endless suburbia. It's getting me in shape at least.

And to the people on this thread who are taking what I am saying personally and taking it as an insult, lighten up I think that I am being very respectful here and my critisism is reasonable and in good taste. Maybe if people accept the faults of their city than they can work for a positive change right? Some people just never want to hear anything negative.....

I can say a lot of great things about it here too. There is a lot of sunshine, awesome parks, safe streets, reasonable cost of living, etc. I am happy here for sure, it is a lot better than many other places out there.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM

One other thing, after reading some of the posts on this thread, why wouldn't a person think people are unfriendly here? They sure aren't on this thread!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Friendly, well I don't expect people to invite me in their home and cook a big dinner when I walk by...but I usually made fast friends with the people I work with and went out to do things a good amount with new and old friends.

I think there is an attitude, and I do it too I know, that I don't want to get involved in a strangers business...you never know what will happen. I have with people I barely know and gotten what was a "quick 2 second thing" take hours, and because I stupidly agreed at the start I was stuck to the end.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

subsound: Now that I read your post, I'm thinking, that attitude is not a Denver thing, it's a societal thing. We as people have become very isolated via forums, online chats, email, cell phones, blackberries, etc. Maybe this is why no one shows up to happy hours except for the good ones, haha joking, but really, because they are afraid of what might happen. I do think it's a good way to meet people. I can say I've met a handful via this forum that I truly like and want to see again.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Very true, though the bigger the city the more it kind of shows up. I read a book where it was first mentioned in the late 1960's (Alvin Toffler - Future Shock) because as of all the numbers of people you see on a daily basis go up the less you want to be involved in each persons life. I think it's becoming more noticeable that forums/chats/crackberries really trigger that too.

When food is involved, I've always had good luck getting people along (free is the best ). Though once a person stops going a few times they don't usually come back.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I choose your side LOL. But really, I sort of agree and disagree with Vegas. While yeah, you probably had an image of what Denver would be like, who doesn't hold an image, an idea of what a city will be like? And of course, some of those ideas are shattered when you actually move there.

Let's be realistic. While I think Vegas is right in that regard, I do think that his post sounds like the preconceived notion is a bad thing. It's not. It's reality and how people think, an unavoidable thing. And I agree with you, why is it that if you don't like Denver people here take it as a personal front? Who the heck cares? I don't love Denver, so what? I know a lot of people here love it, great for them. There is a difference between nonstop whining about how much you hate a place and just saying, eh, it's not really my thing. I don't feel like you were doing nonstop whining, just posting a thought about your newly lived in city.

You've been fair about your opinion and I don't think it warrants snide comments from others.
This forum would sure be boring if everybody always agreed with everyone all the time. Life would be pretty boring. Right?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM

Vegas: Of course! That's the beauty of online forums.

subsound: Karl Marx wrote about the continuing isolation of people as the bourgeois and the proletariats broadened their gap. No way could he have envisioned this though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver