Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM

74 posts, read 342,361 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods along or a block or two away from the Denver light rail will I find affordable rental homes owned by private landlords? My budget is $700 no more than $900 for well maintained 2 bedroom 1 or 1.5 bath home. Don't want to do roommate or renting a detached studio. I have a 9 year old son. Which elementary schools are decent with the teachers activity teaching the students? Don't want my son harassed by students or other peers whom may bring weapons to school on whichever public school bus they may ride in the mornings and afternoon. What is Denver's special education program like for children with learning development delay or other disabilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM

473 posts, read 849,364 times
Quote:
My budget is $700 no more than $900 for well maintained 2 bedroom 1 or 1.5 bath home.
You'll need to double that budget for a single family home rental. And most (good) two bedroom apartments as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default You need to do some mapping

https://coloradoschoolgrades.com/ to find good schools. While Colorado has open enrollment it is meaningless for good schools. You must reside inside the school's boundary in order for your child to attend.

RTD to see where light rail is. For the most part, it is not near good schools.

Denver Public Schools for information about schools in the City & County of Denver.

https://www.padmapper.com/ for finding housing.
and
View Our Available Rental Homes, Condos & Apartments | 8z Rentals

Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
If that's your budget you're gonna have to go apartment. And even looking for apartments, a 2 bedroom in a good school district a block or 3 from light rail for under 900 per month will be very difficult to find.

I did a little searching, and these are really the only 2, 2 bedroom apartments I could find very near light rail, above average schools, and under 900 per month.

No Need to Drive...Everything is Around the Corner!

1 BLOCK FROM LIGHT RAIL

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If that's your budget you're gonna have to go apartment. And even looking for apartments, a 2 bedroom in a good school district a block or 3 from light rail for under 900 per month will be very difficult to find.

I did a little searching, and these are really the only 2, 2 bedroom apartments I could find very near light rail, above average schools, and under 900 per month.

No Need to Drive...Everything is Around the Corner!

1 BLOCK FROM LIGHT RAIL
I know someone who just looked at the French Quarter listed in the first and he said they say $900 in the ads, but the lady there said nothing is available under $1050 and they are kind of dumpy. It is walking distance, but kind of a long walk to the actual train platform.

The second one is not in the greatest neighborhood. I am guessing that area has lots of choices in that general price range if they have any availability.

Agree with the others, the price range and specifics the OP has is probably not going to happen. Almost every light rail station now is considered premium living space nearby with elevated rents. Anything walking distance to a station is going to see a 25-50% rent premium to comparable places a mile or two away.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
OP, I sent you a DM with some listings near the Nine Mile station, several in the Cherry Creek school district.

Unfortunately, as others have noted, it is going to be hard to find something in your price range, but, if you can go a little higher, your chances seem to improve a bit.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM

45 posts, read 154,831 times
5 years ago 700-900 a month in Denver for a 2 bedroom apartment would be been doable. But as of late they have been contending with apartment shortages. The apartment vacancy rate in Denver is very low currently.

The only 2 bedroom single-family homes I have seen in the Denver area is around 6th to Colfax and Dayton in Aurora and a few on the west side of Denver around Lowell and Alameda and even those would probably be 1,000 a month or more. But there might a rare exception to the rule. Those two areas are probably some of the least desirable to say the least areas in the metro Denver.

The most affordable areas with-in light rail would be East Lakewood, Parker Road area and just north of the Colorado Station in Glendale.

East Lakewood where they have alot of older apartments near light-rail is not a good area at all. I have gotten off the bus numerous times off Sheridan and Wadsworth before and while it doesn't feel awful it is not a neighborhood I would recommend to any one.

The apartment complexes along Parker Road near the light-rail seem to be decent looking, there is not alot of retail in the area but out of the three areas that are affordable this is the area that would probably be best.

The area just north of the Colorado light rail station in Glendale looks nice driving through on Colorado Blvd and they do have alot of retail. But once you go to where most of the more affordable apartments are in Glendale it goes down-hill fairly fast between Albion on Dahlia especially where alot of the apartments are.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

371 posts, read 494,233 times
$900 a month for a 2 bedroom is tough to do anywhere in the city. And it will almost definitely be an apartment, not a house.

Why does it need to be within walking distance of light rail? If the area has decent bus service, that opens up some more possibilities.

Consider areas near bus park n' rides. They tend to still have decent public transport, are suburban (which generally means better schools), have retail nearby, and be a bit less expensive. You will find apartments in your range near the 88th and I-25 Park and Ride (which, admittedly, isn't a great area), and there are things that pop up in your range near some of the others as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestecon View Post
5 years ago 700-900 a month in Denver for a 2 bedroom apartment would be been doable. But as of late they have been contending with apartment shortages. The apartment vacancy rate in Denver is very low currently.

The only 2 bedroom single-family homes I have seen in the Denver area is around 6th to Colfax and Dayton in Aurora and a few on the west side of Denver around Lowell and Alameda and even those would probably be 1,000 a month or more. But there might a rare exception to the rule. Those two areas are probably some of the least desirable to say the least areas in the metro Denver.

The most affordable areas with-in light rail would be East Lakewood, Parker Road area and just north of the Colorado Station in Glendale.

East Lakewood where they have alot of older apartments near light-rail is not a good area at all. I have gotten off the bus numerous times off Sheridan and Wadsworth before and while it doesn't feel awful it is not a neighborhood I would recommend to any one.

The apartment complexes along Parker Road near the light-rail seem to be decent looking, there is not alot of retail in the area but out of the three areas that are affordable this is the area that would probably be best.

The area just north of the Colorado light rail station in Glendale looks nice driving through on Colorado Blvd and they do have alot of retail. But once you go to where most of the more affordable apartments are in Glendale it goes down-hill fairly fast between Albion on Dahlia especially where alot of the apartments are.
The complexes on Parker Rd are not that affordable and have huge light rail premiums built in. The one right next to it, I think it's called Axis, is a barely remodeled old complex charging $1300 and up. The French Quarter sounds like $1100 and up and they are small units. The ones near Dayton are truly outrageous to rent or buy. The older community near the Dayton station just east of Yosemite might be the best rent option if you can find a unit, but some are close while others are quite a hike. I still doubt anything in the general vicinity of Nine Mile can be found under $1000.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:57 PM

74 posts, read 342,361 times
Thanks everybody for your suggestions and TigerLily24 I've received your DM with the hotpad listings. I've been searching on Craigslist for rental houses I really don't want to have to consider roommates or sharing with another individual. I like my privacy, have an active and lively 9 yr old son so i do not want multiple people coming and going out the residence. I need to be by the light rail I don't mind transfering 1or 2 buses to get where I need to go but I don't want to be living in the suburbs. I won't be driving because of my epilepsy. I wanna avoid renting an apartment because of the tendency it being broken into by others living in the complex when moving my personal possessions into the unit. I can go up to a $1000 this rental price will put me a bit of a bind unless the apartment or owner includes all utilities in the rent. I'm also considering a 1 Bedroom condo or townhouse with a studio or loft. I'm keeping my rental options flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver