Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 15,083 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be moving to Denver around Memorial Day as I've got a job starting at the end of May. I'm going to be working at 18th and Arapahoe Streets in downtown Denver, and haven't spent much time in the city.

I'm looking for apartments close to downtown (ideally around Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Uptown, or Lincoln Park) as well as light rail stations, ideally so I don't have to drive to the rail every day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to locations or apartments to look at? I'm just hoping to find something relatively cheap (i.e. less than ~$700/month), in a relatively safe part of the city, and am somewhat overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your help!

Robert

Last edited by RJansen77; 05-09-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 26,317 times
There are a few places near Broadway and 25. Also near Colorado and Interstate 25 look it up on a map and if any of those are areas you would like I will check it out for you,

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM

473 posts, read 852,829 times
A friend just moved to the Alexan - at I-25 and Broadway. Nice place, modern - downside is a giant parking garage which is a chore to get in and out of. His unit faces the city and freight lines (which for me is a plus as I'm a rail fan)

A couple other options:

Consider neighborhoods well served by bus routes. I live in Congress Park and can easily get downtown via the 6, 10, or 15 (and 15L is even faster) Great neighborhood with nice apartment buildings in a mostly residential area - less transient than Capitol Hill. I'm not too familiar with Highlands but same thing applies.

Third - consider a bike. Most close to downtown neighborhoods (Wash Park, Congress Park, Baker, Cherry Creek) have good (and designated) bike routes in and out of the downtown core. Takes half the time of light rail or bus (considering rush hour traffic and/or off peak frequency), you won't spend $2.25 each way, can do errands on way to and from work without constant waiting, and Denver and 1st/2nd ring cities are very bike friendly.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,145,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJansen77 View Post
Hi All,

I'll be moving to Denver around Memorial Day as I've got a job starting at the end of May. I'm going to be working at 18th and Arapahoe Streets in downtown Denver, and haven't spent much time in the city.

I'm looking for apartments close to downtown (ideally around Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Uptown, or Lincoln Park) as well as light rail stations, ideally so I don't have to drive to the rail every day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to locations or apartments to look at? I'm just hoping to find something relatively cheap (i.e. less than ~$700/month), in a relatively safe part of the city, and am somewhat overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your help!

Robert
Well, the light rail doesn't go though Capitol Hill, Congress Park, or Uptown. What do you plan to use the light rail for? Those three neighborhoods are very close to your work. If you live on the West edge of Uptown or Cap Hill you could very easily walk to work in 5-15 minutes. If you lived on the east side or in Congress Park your commute would be a very quick bike or bus ride to downtown (or a 30 min walk if you want).

Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 15,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, the light rail doesn't go though Capitol Hill, Congress Park, or Uptown. What do you plan to use the light rail for? Those three neighborhoods are very close to your work. If you live on the West edge of Uptown or Cap Hill you could very easily walk to work in 5-15 minutes. If you lived on the east side or in Congress Park your commute would be a very quick bike or bus ride to downtown (or a 30 min walk if you want).
I'm hoping to use the light rail to get to work if I don't live within walking distance. I've spent some time today looking at Washington Park and Highlands as well, do you guys have any thoughts on those neighborhoods? I'm just looking for somewhere cheap, safe and relatively close to a light rail, and am having trouble figuring out where to start looking.

Thanks for your input so far everyone!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,563,096 times
Don't rule out the bus service. I take the 83L or 79L every day from Monaco & Leetsdale (~5 miles from downtown?) and while it's not as cool as the light rail, the trip takes me about 20-25 minutes door-to-door, since it's a route with limited stops. The bus runs frequently enough during the work week.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,082,120 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to use the light rail to get to work if I don't live within walking distance. I've spent some time today looking at Washington Park and Highlands as well, do you guys have any thoughts on those neighborhoods? I'm just looking for somewhere cheap, safe and relatively close to a light rail, and am having trouble figuring out where to start looking.

OK then here is the light rail map. Pick out what ever station you want to live near and start looking there.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 PM

556 posts, read 1,203,916 times
Quote:
There aren't many real neighborhoods within walking distance to light rail because unfortunately most of them are surrounded by parking lots or run alongside the highway. Take peoples' advice and consider the bus or bike. If you live near the cherry creek bike path, you can be downtown in 10 minutes without having to ride in traffic.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 26,317 times
Quote:

Try Cherry Creek Club I live there they have nice 1 and 2 bed rooms I got mine for 525 a month. It's some what close to the light rail and there are a lot of things to do in the area. It is with in a mile or 2 of wash park as well. Email me at Anthony_Henriksen@yahoo.com if you want the contact info for the office and I will get it for you. I've been here for 4 months and love it. It is really quiet.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM

6,394 posts, read 11,956,958 times
Walking distance to light rail is going to cost more than 700 a month just about anywhere except the not so nice areas around 10th/Osage and maybe Alameda station. Heck 700 is a tough target for any desirable place in a desired part of town. Highly doubt you'll will find much to choose from at that price in Highlands or Wash Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver