Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times

Advertisements

I've been eyeing this city as a possible future move so I was wondering. I've been hearing some good things about this city from browsing this site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default More porridge, please

What do you think you would make in "Denver"?
How much do you want to spend on rent/mortgage?
How far are you willing to live from work? Minutes/miles?
Moving alone or with someone?

What is it about Denver that is attracting you?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 PM

1)The pay scale starts at 41k for someone with a masters so probably around that.

2)Less than $1000

3) Less than a 20 minute commute by car. If I could get by using public transportation then that would be more preferable and I would be willing to extend my commute time for it.

4) It would be alone. Right now I'm gathering information. This is something that's five years down the line.

5) Lower cost of living. Decent sized city that seems to be progressive about its public transportation infrastructure.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
#5 - Are you sure you're talking about Denver?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Yeah

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
I think you are worry too much about the level of your income. You can easily live in Denver based on what you have said. As in any large city or metro area, cost of living as per housing varies but $1000 a month can get you into housing, either by renting or a mortgage in many areas.

You are correct that Denver is very progressive in public transportation. I am a senior; an ex New Yorker; lived in Europe. I have lived here for about 34 years. I can tell you that in using the public transit, often, and have been all over the area on bus and rail--it is a good system. It all depends on where you choose to live.

Livecontent

Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks and yeah I guess I do, but a lot of places I've been looking at in some places around DC go for $1200 for an efficiency for rent alone. Not including utilities. Nice to know that about Denver though. It's on my map.

Btw is there a sizeable youth population?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Thanks and yeah I guess I do, but a lot of places I've been looking at in some places around DC go for $1200 for an efficiency for rent alone. Not including utilities. Nice to know that about Denver though. It's on my map.

Btw is there a sizeable youth population?
This makes me laugh. I am assuming you are referring to youth, ages around the age of a young working person, just starting on a career, not old farts like me. We really are not that dangerous and we go to sleep early. I promise you I will not compete for young girls; as I like them old, rich and above all, not fertile.

Denver has all ages but has been attracting young professionals into the growing city as it is viewed as a progressive exciting city for the young who now see the benefit of urban living. Denver is a city of distinct neighborhoods and many of them are old that are being gentrified and being renewed that attract a predominate young population which brings in the amenities that they enjoy.

If you read about this forum you will see all these neighborhoods mentioned. To give you a guide, here is the official city map of the neighborhoods of Denver http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Some of those that may interest you are Platte Park, Highland, Berkeley, Washington Park, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, University Park, University, Baker etc.

Of course, your big choice, should always take in consideration the place you will work to shorten your commute.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-17-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default You are joking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
This is something that's five years down the line.
Seriously. Five years from now? The economy could be booming, stagnant or declining at that time.

Come back to us in 4.5 years.
Quote:
Decent sized city that seems to be progressive about its public transportation infrastructure.
Until the taxpayers wake up and figure out how money has been wasted. For example, choo-choo trains to Longmont.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This makes me laugh. I am assuming you are referring to youth, ages around the age of a young working person, just starting on a career, not old farts like me. We really are not that dangerous and we go to sleep early. I promise you I will not compete for young girls; as I like them old, rich and above all, not fertile.

Denver has all ages but has been attracting young professionals into the growing city as it is viewed as a progressive exciting city for the young who now see the benefit of urban living. Denver is a city of distinct neighborhoods and many of them are old that are being gentrified and being renewed that attract a predominate young population which brings in the amenities that they enjoy.

If you read about this forum you will see all these neighborhoods mentioned. To give you a guide, here is the official city map of the neighborhoods of Denver http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Some of those that may interest you are Platte Park, Highland, Berkeley, Washington Park, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, University Park, University, Baker etc.

Of course, your big choice, should always take in consideration the place you will work to shorten your commute.

Livecontent
Didn't mean to offend you. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Seriously. Five years from now? The economy could be booming, stagnant or declining at that time.

Come back to us in 4.5 years.
Until the taxpayers wake up and figure out how money has been wasted. For example, choo-choo trains to Longmont.
Five years sounds like a reasonable timeframe to at least start researching. I would be moving cross country to a place where I have absolutely no family at. Definitely don't want to make a decision on the whim since there are other places I'm looking at as well. I also have personal circumstances that prevent me from leaving sooner.

And if you feel that way about local infrastructure then we should switch cities then. Back home a lot of people feel that way about LRT and BRT and use the same kind of arguments. Ironically the regions only main industry is subsidized by the DoD. Not a lot of high paying private sector jobs which has led to brain drain and population growth has stagnated. Elected officials are trying to reverse that, but don't see anything changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver