Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times

Advertisements

Hello:

As many of you know..I was born and raised in Denver. Well I moved to Florida and I may have a chance to move back. My job is expanding and Denver is the place they picked (woo hoo)!

Here's my dilemma-I may get a managers position and if I do it's in Denver. What is an acceptable salary to ask for? I work in Financial Services, I have a degree and this would be a "two level jump." I work for a small firm (about 150 people) so no real HR procedures. I haven't lived in Denver since 2008. I have tried payscale and salary.com and I still can't come up with a decent starting point. I want to be prepared but not lowball myself. I know I have to look at the "whole package" but I don't know...asking for money is not my strong suit....

Help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 AM

120 posts, read 383,229 times
Why not ask yourself what an acceptable salary is for a manager in Florida (since you probably have a good idea) and use a cost of living comparison tool (like this or something like it: Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com) as a springboard and take it from there.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
You can also try to disassociate yourself from the job... by that I mean look at it as an outsider. If you were offered the job by another company what would you think was fair? Try not to get too involved with the potential to move back to Denver, etc - go with a "it's not personal, it's business" attitude as a starting point.

Once you have that you can start to factor in cost of living vs. living where you want and all of the other personal issues.

I feel your pain on finding sources for salary comparison - I had to do some research on this a couple of years ago and while Salary.com, Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com have some information, it is so generalized it is hard to get a good feel for YOUR job. It used to be you could get salary ranges from the job boards (so convenient since there are detailed job descriptions attached), but I'd say far less than 5% of advertised jobs have any indication of salary.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2denver View Post
Why not ask yourself what an acceptable salary is for a manager in Florida (since you probably have a good idea) and use a cost of living comparison tool (like this or something like it: Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com) as a springboard and take it from there.

Are you serious? They pay nothing in Florida..plus I'm not a manager in Florida-I'm a worker...and I know no one who is going to tell me how much they make.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
You can also try to disassociate yourself from the job... by that I mean look at it as an outsider. If you were offered the job by another company what would you think was fair? Try not to get too involved with the potential to move back to Denver, etc - go with a "it's not personal, it's business" attitude as a starting point.

Once you have that you can start to factor in cost of living vs. living where you want and all of the other personal issues.

I feel your pain on finding sources for salary comparison - I had to do some research on this a couple of years ago and while Salary.com, Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com have some information, it is so generalized it is hard to get a good feel for YOUR job. It used to be you could get salary ranges from the job boards (so convenient since there are detailed job descriptions attached), but I'd say far less than 5% of advertised jobs have any indication of salary.

Good luck!

I have no idea..I may just go with a number-I saw on glassdoor.com a manager position close to what I do is 67K plus bonus-however, those were with big companies..my company is small to mid-size we don't have bonuses and our benefits are okay . I may just say 60K and hope for the best....

Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 PM

59 posts, read 163,885 times
Given your qualifications and a two level move I'd go with 80k.

It never hurts to ask.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_native View Post
Given your qualifications and a two step move I'd go with 80k.

It never hurts to ask.

Ouch..I don't know...I don't want to be laughed out of the race but I don't want to lowball myself-

Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM

59 posts, read 163,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Ouch..I don't know...I don't want to be laughed out of the race but I don't want to lowball myself-
Ok you said 60k and I said 80k so go for 65k-70k.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM

120 posts, read 383,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Are you serious? They pay nothing in Florida..plus I'm not a manager in Florida-I'm a worker...and I know no one who is going to tell me how much they make.
I am serious. It sounds like you should invest some time researching the company you work for.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2denver View Post
I am serious. It sounds like you should invest some time researching the company you work for.

Look I understand you are trying to help believe me I am thankful...I just do not want to lowball myself-I work for a small company (115 people) and we are opening an office in Denver..it's not even staffed it's brand new

So I really have no "researching" to do-the only two people that interviewed for positions are call center employees. I interviewed with the owners and I was told-if you are offered the position we will negotiate salary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: