Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,640 times

Advertisements

I am currently an 8th grade ss teacher in sc and also in the process of completing a masters program out here in sc. My husbands job has transferred him to Denver, so I am weighing my options about whether or not to continue teaching or stay at home with babies, and to finish my degree or not.

My question is: why do your salary scale steps say ba, ba +30, ba +60, ma, ma +30 etc. ?
My masters program is 30 credits/10 courses total.. Are typical masters programs in co more than that??

I'm worried Im doing all of this coursework for nothing of my degree wouldn't be accepted??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,282 times
Many master's degrees are 36 credits, but don't worry as soon as you get your master's degree you get placed into the MA column. The BA + 30 and BA + 60 columns exist so that if a person takes classes that do not result in a degree, he/she can still get a salary bump.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM

Thanks for your reply!! That's what I was hoping!! I found it hard to believe someone would take 60 credit hrs not resulting in an advanced degree.. But to each their own I guess!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaga828 View Post
Thanks for your reply!! That's what I was hoping!! I found it hard to believe someone would take 60 credit hrs not resulting in an advanced degree.. But to each their own I guess!
School districts expect you to get a master's degree that is why there is no BA +75. They do not expect a doctorate, so after you get your master's degree getting 75 graduate credits above that will equal a Ph.D.

There is one thing that I forgot:

It is important to know that when you get to the MA column, you have to start over. For example, when I first started, I completed 12 credits that could not be counted towards a degree (I took advantage of some awesome content training the first two summers for which I got credit). Afterwards, I started a Master's program (36 credits). When I finished my first semester (9 credits - 21 graduate credits total), I got a salary bump to a BA +15. When I finished my second semester (9 credits - 30 graduate credits total), I got a salary bump to a BA +30. When I finished my master's degree the next year, I was placed in the MA column, but I lost those first 12 credits. In other words, those first 12 credits did not count towards my MA +15 -- I had to start from zero.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 AM

Hmm that is also good information to have.. Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of this to me. How would you say the job market is for middle school ss positions? I think here in SC ppl would say they are tough to get, but I was lucky and landed a job in the top school in our district right out of college. I keep reading reading how bad a lot of the schools are out there. I'm worried that since I don't know the area I may get stuck in a position I am miserable in.

Also, I am certified for grades 5-8 in Ela and ss. I went through a program specifically for middle grades education. How do you think that will transfer over? As a secondary?

Also, is there something out there for teachers to earn to make them eligible for online/virtual school teaching? This is just beginning to be offered in sc, it is five classes and I will be done with them by the end of the summer. Do you think that will help me at all in co?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Social studies positions are hard to get. You better bring your "A" game.

There are probably 100+ applicants for each position posted, but having an ELA certification certainly won't hurt. Some districts are better to work for than others, but for right now you probably just need a job. Online teachers do not need any special certification, but distance learning experience or coursework should be helpful.

I am not sure how your certificate might transfer. Secondary seems more likely than elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver