Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times

Advertisements

So I've been checking up on the weather lately here in anticipation of relocating to Denver soon.

I noticed tomorrow temps going to be 0 degrees Coming from Florida/Texas...I'm not sure I'm full prepared for that type of weather. Seems like it'd permeate straight thru the skin and into the lungs. What can I do to keep warm?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:13 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Layer your clothes. For instance, down jacket over fleece jacket over turtleneck sweater. Always wear a hat that covers your ears, gloves (two pair if necessary), boots with heavy socks (two pair if necessary), and a scarf (which can also be used to cover your face if windy or below zero.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I've never been in a business or home that was colder than ~55 (my parents kept our house at 55 through the winter to save on money, though it was warmer next to the fire), most keep the temps somewhere between 65~70. You may have to "brave the cold" to walk from a home/business to a car, but we're talking a couple minutes here and you won't die if you went out in a T-shirt and shorts. It'd be uncomfortable, but in no way harmful. To be comfortable, you'll probably only need a wool watch cap, wind-proof insulated jacket and not too thick gloves.

Now, if you're planning on heading out for 10~14 hours at a time, it's a Completely different animal. You can invest over a thousand dollars in good gear for that kind of stuff.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Seems like it'd permeate straight thru the skin and into the lungs.
The primary cause of "permeating" is humidity, which we don't have here.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
So I've been checking up on the weather lately here in anticipation of relocating to Denver soon.

I noticed tomorrow temps going to be 0 degrees Coming from Florida/Texas...I'm not sure I'm full prepared for that type of weather. Seems like it'd permeate straight thru the skin and into the lungs. What can I do to keep warm?
Actually, if the humidity is low (which it is MOST of the time) and sun is shining (most days) you will barely feel the cold in the bone chilling way it's felt in humid climates in the east or south. We lived the DC/Baltimore area for over 50 years and trust me, I can shovel snow for hours at zero and not feel it anywhere but in my hands, feet and face.

If you stay in the area of Denver (not up in the high country on a skiing trip) then you can outfit yourself for a few hundred dollars with a winter coat, gloves, boots and maybe a hood or face shield (balaclava), from the usual places, like L.L.Bean, Land's End, or a local store.

For local commuting and such, a balaclava or full-face mask would be overkill, that sort of gear is for when you'd be out in the weather for hours. Most locals get by with jeans, a warm coat, gloves and maybe a hoodie.

As I've many times on these forums, MILLIONS live here, so it can't be that bad, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-09-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Hoodie, maybe a beanie, and gloves if I'm going to be working outside for more than five minutes.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
You don't really need special clothes for 0 degrees, like you do in Illinois, where I lived prior to here. Regular winter clothes, worn in layers as some have said, will work just fine. It doesn't get down to 0 *that* often, maybe once per winter. Most winter days are warm and sunny.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Wool. Layers of wool. And good footwear. I like to avoid synthetic fibers due to static electricity.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
static electricity.
which runs rampant in Denver LOL...

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
What type of clothes needed for 0 degrees?

Ok, would that be Farenheght (sp), Celsius, or Kelvin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver