Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM

56 posts, read 84,717 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a favorite thrift store, particularly for clothes/accessories? Best Goodwill, consignment stores, etc.? Thanks in advance! I want to do more thrift shopping this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM

26 posts, read 53,027 times
My wife likes the Arc stores...if she ever visits a Thrift Shop, it is usually Arc.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
If you're downtown, Buffalo Exchange is supposed to be pretty hip.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

224 posts, read 559,413 times
I like the ARC store at Union and Alameda in Lakewood. Clothes are VERY well organized by size and category; discounts every weekend. I would be embarrassed to admit how much of my wardrobe comes from there :-)

Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM

47 posts, read 92,990 times
Arc on S Broadway, Goodwill off Leetsdale, and the three independent thrift shops between 1st and 4th on S Broadway (across from Buffalo Exchange).

Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM

56 posts, read 84,717 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will check all of these out!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 AM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Plato's closet is not bad, my wife says they are decent stuff for the price.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Plato's closet is not bad, my wife says they are decent stuff for the price.
Is your wife 17? Sorry, I couldn't resist since they advertise to teenagers.

Savers on Littleton Blvd. and Windermere isn't bad.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Is your wife 17? Sorry, I couldn't resist since they advertise to teenagers.

Savers on Littleton Blvd. and Windermere isn't bad.
Not teenagers at all, Plato's Closet advertises to the same crowd as Buffalo Exchange, just high fashion for young professionals, current fashion trends from name brands. Like a used Urban Outfitters. Good will, Savers, and Arc will be your run of the mill garbage usually.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM

164 posts, read 596,001 times
There are many thrift stores in Denver. Some are better than others, depending on what you seek. Please know that Goodwill is not the altruistic do-gooder you'd think it is. It seems that their prices are NOT geared towards allowing their low-income customer base to exercise buying power. I was recently in the Englewood Goodwill and saw a pair of boots for $60. In the last few years, GW has increased its prices due to the influx of middle-class shoppers.....GW knows it can charge higher fees for donated goods.
This link (while pertaining to Oregon, it is still informative- "expenses have DECREASED as sales have gone up") gives an idea of the somewhat underhanded efforts of Goodwill. ---- Goodwill CEO?s salary rises again - Portland Business Journal ---Also, much of their workforce is people performing community service. And yet, their prices are higher than in the past? Very disappointing.
That said, there are a number of deserving thrift stores that barely get by and would be grateful to have any donation: Neighborhood Thrift Shop on Broadway in Englewood (plus, they resell the items at a very low price so that almost anyone can clothe themselves. They directly serve a low-income senior housing complex on the same block).
Keep in mind that the money you spend and the donation you make DOES make a difference. These purchases and donations can help a small store immensely or just be a drop in the bucket to a corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver