Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 23,101 times

Advertisements

I'm from Florida but I'm moving to Denver in the fall. I have very few thick jackets and my family has me worried that the jackets I wear here aren't going to cut it out there. My question is do I really need to invest in a bunch of winter clothing? Do I really need a huge down jacket or a ski jacket if I'm staying in Denver? Am I foolish to think I can get by with my collection of light jackets or could I get away with layering them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
It depends on how you feel about cold weather at night. Air temps can get well below 0F frequently in the winter once the sun sets. Sometimes I'm shocked when I see kids out in the morning in shorts after a bitterly cold night, so you may be one of those hardy souls. If you are used to dressing in layers I think that should be fine. I'm usually only cold around my extremities anyway.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Temperatures of below zero occur 7-8 times per year in Denver, on average.

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most winter nights are below freezing. The average low in Januray is 15-16 degrees F. There are wide variations from average year-round. Hopefully, this helps to answer the OP's question.

History : Weather Underground

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
In my humble opinion, yes.

You don't need to buy a wardrobe of various coats, but you should have one really warm, heavy duty coat in the mix. I'd also recommend a pair of snow boots and some snow pants (at least waterproof ones). Not sure how long you've been in Florida, or what type of winter vacations you've been on, but that first cold snap is going to feel extra cold to someone used to the tropics.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Get a heavy jacket. Also, keep your shorts and t-shirts. ;-)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
When I visited for a week in February, I took some gloves (which I never used) and a medium weight jacket. I did wind up buying some waterproof shoes while in town and I should have had something for my head while out at night since my ears got pretty cold after about 30 minutes at 25 degrees. Day to day activities don't require super clothes unless you're going to be outside for a while. Also, remember that the sun will make things feel a lot warmer than they are.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,209 times
I'm from Florida too...yes, I recommend buying some very thick jacket and some winter clothes. I stocked up on some premium furs once I got here. Plus you'll be coming in the Fall...meaning you'll have a full 8 months of winter ahead of ya.

I was visiting here from August to October last year and it was snowing by September. I moved here the 1st of February which was the day after a massive snow storm and -17 degree.

By the time I finished moving my stuff into my new place, my hands had turned purple...Even the thickest gloves won't prevent below 0 temps from penetrating right thru to the bone. I could not believe how invasive it was. When it's that cold, it's unsafe to be outside period.

But then after that it didn't get down to below 0 again. So I think after February you're safe.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I'm from Florida too...yes, I recommend buying some very thick jacket and some winter clothes. I stocked up on some premium furs once I got here. Plus you'll be coming in the Fall...meaning you'll have a full 8 months of winter ahead of ya.

I was visiting here from August to October last year and it was snowing by September. I moved here the 1st of February which was the day after a massive snow storm and -17 degree.

By the time I finished moving my stuff into my new place, my hands had turned purple...Even the thickest gloves won't prevent below 0 temps from penetrating right thru to the bone. I could not believe how invasive it was. When it's that cold, it's unsafe to be outside period.

But then after that it didn't get down to below 0 again. So I think after February you're safe.
8 months of winter? Not here. More like 4 or 5 at the most. It is not uncommon to see 60 degrees in January. There are small stretches of below zero temps but Denver is not like living in Wisconsin where the snow doesn't melt until summer.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Hat, gloves, a good coat and good shoes/boots. Wool sweaters are nice. But you could just figure it out as you go and buy as you need.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyefla View Post
I'm from Florida but I'm moving to Denver in the fall. I have very few thick jackets and my family has me worried that the jackets I wear here aren't going to cut it out there. My question is do I really need to invest in a bunch of winter clothing? Do I really need a huge down jacket or a ski jacket if I'm staying in Denver? Am I foolish to think I can get by with my collection of light jackets or could I get away with layering them?
Unless you will be relying on the transit system in the dead of winter, I wouldn't waste a bunch of money on clothes you most likely won't get a chance to wear. The last time I went skiing at Steamboat I had to borrow a ski jacket. People don't really wear them here in Denver. I know guys who wear shorts all year round actually. If you have a car, just make sure you always have a hoodie or something in the backseat and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver