Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 AM

86 posts, read 423,290 times

Advertisements

I have pondered the thought of moving to Denver for a while now, and as a job, all my life I have driven buses...tour buses, transit buses and light rail cars for 24 yrs in Pittsburgh and Florida, and I am also a state certified bus training instructor. Recently I decided to get my class A tractor trailer license too, so I can do that as well, but I prefer the bus.

Currently, my son and I live in Florida, and to be honest, its getting old here. We thought we would love it, but to be honest, We both miss snow. Not the Pittsburgh style that stays forever. just snow. I know that doesn't make sense...lol

What is the job market like for bus driver in Denver? Where would be the best places to begin? I would appreciate any input you may be able to give me.

thanks

Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,604 times
I passed an RTD bus yesterday with a big sign on the side "Now Hiring Drivers".
You may want to start there: http://www.rtd-denver.com/careers.shtml

Nav

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I'm not sure how hiring works for bus drivers, but RTD also has contractors that drive buses for them, so if RTD itself isn't hiring, maybe you can find out which companies have contracts with RTD and interview with them too.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I have pondered the thought of moving to Denver for a while now, and as a job, all my life I have driven buses...tour buses, transit buses and light rail cars for 24 yrs in Pittsburgh and Florida, and I am also a state certified bus training instructor. Recently I decided to get my class A tractor trailer license too, so I can do that as well, but I prefer the bus.

Currently, my son and I live in Florida, and to be honest, its getting old here. We thought we would love it, but to be honest, We both miss snow. Not the Pittsburgh style that stays forever. just snow. I know that doesn't make sense...lol

What is the job market like for bus driver in Denver? Where would be the best places to begin? I would appreciate any input you may be able to give me.

thanks

Shawn

That would be RTD for bus and light rail jobs, and RTD's contractors Veolia and First Transit for bus driving jobs. I don't see that any of them are hiring right now for Denver, but with your experience. I would think that would put you are the top of the list, should they have any openings. You might also want to search the contractors sites for jobs in other locations where you may be interested in living.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/careers.shtml

Veolia Transportation - Careers

First Transit - Bus Transportation Company Careers and Job Employment Opportunities | First Transit

Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM

I applied at Veolia, and hope to hear. I also see the schools are hiring drivers too. So basically, with a Class A cdl, I should be ok.

Shawn

Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Default Looking at Denver...are there driving jobs? and any job boards?

Hi!

My 19 year old son and I are considering making the move from Florida to the Denver area. I was hoping to find out about driving jobs in the Denver area.

I have been driving a bus for 24 years, all different types...from mass transit to charter to school. I was a state certified instructor for 3 years. I also hold a class A with all endorsements except hazmat. I also have 4 years in as a light rail vehicle operator.

A couple questions, since its so hard not being in the area...

1- Are there any job boards I should look at? For example, Florida has "employflorida.com...does Denver or Colorado in general have anything similar? I dont like all the Craigslist scams.

2- How about bus driving jobs? I know Denver has the RTD, which is bus and rail, but I am open to any bus...I'm not picky.

3- What neighborhoods are close to the LRT shops? (where they operate from)

I appreciate the suggestions, and I am looking forward to reading them.

Thanks

Shawn

Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 43,915 times
Hello Shawn,
Yes, there are driving jobs available in Denver. Here's the RTD job site;
http://www.rtd-denver.com/careers.shtml
And there are others. RTD has several sub-contractors, including First Transit, Special Transit, Laidlaw, Veolia, MV, and CoachUSA. Some operate the regular (fixed route) busses and others are Paratransit or Call & Ride routes.
I don't know of any single site for all the openings, since there are many different companies involved. Most of the sub-contractors are national, perhaps an e-mail to the (U.S.) home office asking about Denver openings would help.
RTD has several shops scattered around the greater Denver area. I honestly don't know which shops are LRT, fixed route, train, etc. But the administration offices are right downtown, on the 16th street mall. A good place to start.
You might also try the Denver Post (daily newspaper) want ads and any online job search sites.
With your qualifications it should be fairly easy to get started!
Good Luck,
Ron

Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
Hi!

My 19 year old son and I are considering making the move from Florida to the Denver area. I was hoping to find out about driving jobs in the Denver area.

I have been driving a bus for 24 years, all different types...from mass transit to charter to school. I was a state certified instructor for 3 years. I also hold a class A with all endorsements except hazmat. I also have 4 years in as a light rail vehicle operator.

A couple questions, since its so hard not being in the area...

1- Are there any job boards I should look at? For example, Florida has "employflorida.com...does Denver or Colorado in general have anything similar? I dont like all the Craigslist scams.

2- How about bus driving jobs? I know Denver has the RTD, which is bus and rail, but I am open to any bus...I'm not picky.

3- What neighborhoods are close to the LRT shops? (where they operate from)

I appreciate the suggestions, and I am looking forward to reading them.

Thanks

Shawn

The information is still pretty much the same from the last time you asked this question. RTD, Veolia and First Transit, are you options. If there is a job board for bus driving jobs in Colorado, it should show up in a Google search. But I don't know of any.

The RTD Light Rail Facility is in Englewood, and the bus division is in Aurora. RTD also has facilities for both in Denver. So your ideal neighborhood would probably be someplace in Southeast Denver, half way in between.

Elati Light Rail Facility,. 2701 S. Elati St., Englewood, CO 80110

RTD Light rail yards and service facility Denver, CO

RTD East Metro Division 14100 E. Colfax. Aurora, CO 80011

RTD East Metro Division

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-17-2011 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: OBE now that two threads are merged.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
Denver Jobs. Search Jobs in Denver, Colorado | Jobing.com

Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
Cherry Creek Schools.....school bus driver,...that was my best job ever!!
Great benefits too!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver